The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

tap Options
Tara2
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 3:14:14 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/8/2017
Posts: 1,825
Neurons: 7,254
What does 'tap' and 'tap out' mean here?



Pool's owner: Does he always act like this, or just when he's drunk?

Janette: Dad! No!

David: Dad, don't!
Wife: Rex!

Rex: I can't let you talk to me like that in front of my daughter.

Janette: Let go!
Stop I'm gonna tap him out.

Is that a tap? I couldn't tell.

Dad! Let go!

Is that a tap?
Rex!

Will you stop?

The Glass Castle, movie

Dan Lewis 2222
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 5:18:58 PM

Rank: Member

Joined: 1/9/2020
Posts: 110
Neurons: 22,121
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States
Does this meaning of 'tap out' make sense in the context of that scene?

tap out: in mixed martial arts and similar sports, to tap the floor to show that you accept that your competitor has beaten you.

"Tap out" has gone from this to be used informally for other forms of surrender, such as when someone gives up in an argument, leaves a room, etc. As an alternative to saying "I give up" or "I quit", someone may say "I'm tapping out".


taurine
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 5:47:51 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/20/2016
Posts: 2,433
Neurons: 156,259
Location: South Dublin, Ireland
I think that it may have something to do with a beer.

If you are in the pub, and you move the tap to pour beer in the glass then, the result might be a glass filled with a beer.

In the result, while reading that somebody is going someone else to tap out, it looks not good, I think so. Even more, it may be understood that something more sinister to the empty glass of beer could happen. Something so tragic as total ban.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 7:03:27 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/30/2016
Posts: 1,809
Neurons: 11,613
Location: Luton, England, United Kingdom
Dan Lewis 2222 wrote:
Does this meaning of 'tap out' make sense in the context of that scene?

tap out: in mixed martial arts and similar sports, to tap the floor to show that you accept that your competitor has beaten you.

"Tap out" has gone from this to be used informally for other forms of surrender, such as when someone gives up in an argument, leaves a room, etc. As an alternative to saying "I give up" or "I quit", someone may say "I'm tapping out".




That is one interpretation.
But in the extract "tap out" is not one phrase it two seperate words "tap" and "out".
Tap can also mean colloquially to strike or punch.
In which case "out" would mean to knock him out, render him unconscious.
It depends on ten context of the scene in my mind Imam imagining a fight between the Dad character and someone that has said something he disapproves of in front of his daughter.

Stop I am going to punch him until he is unconscious.

Is that a punch, I could not tell.

Dad! let go !
Is that a punch?
It's
Two men behaving in a macho manner pretending they do not feel when the other has struck them,
But if I can just say this is a problem with reading movie scripts without knowing the setting of the scene and the action of the characters sometimes words can be interpreted more than one way. Unless someone else has actually seen the film its difficult to give a definitive answer.
Edit: Having found the scene online Dan Lewis is correct.
sureshot
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 2:34:30 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/16/2015
Posts: 2,581
Neurons: 443,760
Tara2 wrote:
What does 'tap' and 'tap out' mean here?



Pool's owner: Does he always act like this, or just when he's drunk?

Janette: Dad! No!

David: Dad, don't!
Wife: Rex!

Rex: I can't let you talk to me like that in front of my daughter.

Janette: Let go!
Stop I'm gonna tap him out.

Is that a tap? I couldn't tell.

Dad! Let go!

Is that a tap?
Rex!

Will you stop?

The Glass Castle, movie

__________________


This dialogue too is from "The Glass Castle". I have not seen the movie. However, from the transcript I get the sense that "tap him out" means "knock him out" or "hit him". Tap can also mean colloquially to strike or punch just as Sarrriesfan has also mentioned. The next few lines "Is that a tap? I couldn't tell. Dad! Let go!" and "Is that a tap? Rex!Will you stop?" validate this assumption. The speaker wants the action to stop. There is scorn at the action of "tap him out". Such colloquial expressions are best understood when viewing the movie. With this handicap, there can be fine differences in the interpretation.

I hope it helps.





Tara2
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 5:07:18 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/8/2017
Posts: 1,825
Neurons: 7,254
Many thanks to you all!!!
Sorry I'm still confused. Does they mean that Rex should give up the fight or they mean that Rex knock the man out?
Is 'tap out' like hit him to fall the man on the ground, please?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 6:52:19 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/30/2016
Posts: 1,809
Neurons: 11,613
Location: Luton, England, United Kingdom
Tara2 wrote:
Many thanks to you all!!!
Sorry I'm still confused. Does they mean that Rex should give up the fight or they mean that Rex knock the man out?
Is 'tap out' like hit him to fall the man on the ground, please?


I watched the scene online, and it’s as Dan suggests give up the fight.
The character of Rex (played by Woody Harrelson) grabs the pool owner in a neck hold and begins to choke him, until the pool owner taps his arm to surrender.

But without watching the scene I had interpreted it another way, as I already said movie scripts can be difficult to interpret from just the written lines and no stage directions.
Tara2
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 11:31:40 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/8/2017
Posts: 1,825
Neurons: 7,254
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Tara2 wrote:
Many thanks to you all!!!
Sorry I'm still confused. Does they mean that Rex should give up the fight or they mean that Rex knock the man out?
Is 'tap out' like hit him to fall the man on the ground, please?


I watched the scene online, and it’s as Dan suggests give up the fight.
The character of Rex (played by Woody Harrelson) grabs the pool owner in a neck hold and begins to choke him, until the pool owner taps his arm to surrender.

But without watching the scene I had interpreted it another way, as I already said movie scripts can be difficult to interpret from just the written lines and no stage directions.

Many thanks Sarrriesfan!!!

Sorry I couldn't understand which one said these words:
Stop I'm gonna tap him out.

Is that a tap? I couldn't tell.

Is that a tap?

That's why I didn't say that in the first post.

Did Rex say those or the pool owner? What did they mean by "I couldn't tell' in "Is that a tap? I couldn't tell.", please?
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.