The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

real treat Options
Tara2
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 10:45:17 AM

Neurons: 7,254
Can you please explain "treat", I still don't understand? Is 'real' an adjective here?

Rex: Let's go kids! Time to pull of stage and leave this hellhole behind.
Janette: What's going on?
Rex: The Feds are on our tail.
Kids: Really?
Mother: He means the bill collectors.
Rex: Truck leaves in 15 minutes.No, there's no enough room in the cab, so you guys are in for a real treat. You get to ride in the back.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 11:09:10 AM

Neurons: 65,575
Tara2 wrote:
Can you please explain "treat", I still don't understand? Is 'real' an adjective here?

Rex: Truck leaves in 15 minutes.No, there's no enough room in the cab, so you guys are in for a real treat. You get to ride in the back.

"Treat" as a noun has several meanings. One is something special to eat or drink, and the other is a special experience that is usually exciting, or very pleasurable.

"real" as it is used here conveys the idea of something special, or out of the ordinary; something genuine and true, not artificial.
Tara2
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 11:34:31 AM

FounDit wrote:
Tara2 wrote:

"Treat" as a noun has several meanings. One is something special to eat or drink, and the other is a special experience that is usually exciting, or very pleasurable.

"real" as it is used here conveys the idea of something special, or out of the ordinary; something genuine and true, not artificial.

I understand. Many thanks!!!
sureshot
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 11:34:59 AM

Neurons: 443,767
Tara2 wrote:

I see that the same question has been asked by you at two other places. Refer:

Site: https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/you-get-to-ride.3701280/

Site: https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/you-guys-are-in-a-real-treat.3701279/

I also find that you have not mentioned the source of your dialogue. Such a mention would have saved time of numerous readers who really wished to help you. It would be nice to find such information in the future. For the readers using this forum, the dialogue is from:

The Glass Castle (2017) Script - TV & Movie Transcripts

Script Site: http://transcripts.thedealr.net/script.php/the-glass-castle-2017-9yl1
Mm. Well...

The dialogue in the given context of the script, makes it apparent that the phrase "so you guys are in for a real treat" is being said sarcastically. There is no fun or adventure involved. The trip in the back of the truck is not an ideal scenario for anyone. The text clarifies this point. The trip would be like the road ride at the fair but without any lights or oxygen. Now, you can visualize the implied sarcasm.

You have also asked a question about the word "real" in "a real treat". Here "treat is a noun and "real" is an adjective describing the noun "treat". It is emphasized that "trip" has been used sarcastically and does not imply an activity involving fun or adventure.

Hopefully, your query should now be resolved.
Tara2
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 11:37:52 AM

sureshot wrote:
Tara2 wrote:

Site: https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/you-guys-are-in-a-real-treat.3701279/

I also find that you have not mentioned the source of your dialogue. Such a mention would have saved time of numerous readers who really wished to help you. It would be nice to find such information in the future. For the readers using this forum, the dialogue is from:

Script Site: http://transcripts.thedealr.net/script.php/the-glass-castle-2017-9yl1
Mm. Well...

The dialogue in the given context of the script, makes it apparent that the phrase "so you guys are in for a real treat" is being said sarcastically. There is no fun or adventure involved. The trip in the back of the truck is not an ideal scenario for anyone. The text clarifies this point. The trip would be like the road ride at the fair but without any lights or oxygen. Now, you can visualize the implied sarcasm.

You have also asked a question about the word "real" in "a real treat". Here "treat is a noun and "real" is an adjective describing the noun "treat". It is emphasized that "trip" has been used sarcastically and does not imply an activity involving fun or adventure.

Yes, I asked there too 😢
sureshot
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 11:52:46 AM

Neurons: 443,767
Tara2 wrote:

Yes, I asked there too 😢

Has your query been finally resolved?
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 12:47:53 PM

Neurons: 65,575
Ah, yes. Said sarcastically, the meaning is the complete opposite of my definitions.
Tara2
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 2:19:05 PM

sureshot wrote:
Tara2 wrote:

Yes, I asked there too 😢

Has your query been finally resolved?

I'm still reading this thread 😊
taurine
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 2:30:12 PM

Neurons: 156,294
If, as FounDit has stated, that the meaning somewhere else is "the complete opposite of my definitions", then something is wrong. I am finding explanations made by FounDit helpful.
Tara2
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 2:48:06 PM

sureshot wrote:
Tara2 wrote:

Mm. Well...

Many thanks sureshot. Yes my query is resolved. Thank you again 😊
David Briggs 1
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 4:27:45 PM

Neurons: 743
thrill seekers. these are people who like to take risks. living dangerously and are extreme. some like to feel a rush of blood to the head. or ice through the veins. some do things for kicks, just for fun. sometimes thrill seeking can go too far. someone might get injured or hurt while acting out. if you jump out of airplane and your parachute doesn't open you may die. swimming underwater in the ocean is risky because predators like sharks and whales can kill you. we say we are entertained by these people and like to watch them play. Boo hoo! Shame on you Liar
thar
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 4:43:08 PM

Neurons: 89,137
It is not said sarcastically - or at least I don't think so. Of course tone of voice will tell whether it is or not. But I think the meaning of the words is positive - he wants to trick them into being enthusiastic about this sudden flit, so he wants them to believe him that it will be fun. Or he wants to paint a positive picture for them - which is the case will depend on his character.
To kids, riding in the back of a truck rather than in the cab can seem like an adventure.

[Edit - Tara, a flit is leaving suddenly in situations like this.]

Quote:
nounINFORMAL•BRITISH
an act of moving house or leaving one's home, typically secretly so as to escape creditors or obligations.
"moonlight flits from one insalubrious dwelling to another"

Tara2
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 6:02:49 AM

David Briggs 1 wrote:
thrill seekers. these are people who like to take risks. living dangerously and are extreme. some like to feel a rush of blood to the head. or ice through the veins. some do things for kicks, just for fun. sometimes thrill seeking can go too far. someone might get injured or hurt while acting out. if you jump out of airplane and your parachute doesn't open you may die. swimming underwater in the ocean is risky because predators like sharks and whales can kill you. we say we are entertained by these people and like to watch them play. Boo hoo! Shame on you Liar

Many thanks!!!
Tara2
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 6:03:33 AM

thar wrote:
It is not said sarcastically - or at least I don't think so. Of course tone of voice will tell whether it is or not. But I think the meaning of the words is positive - he wants to trick them into being enthusiastic about this sudden flit, so he wants them to believe him that it will be fun. Or he wants to paint a positive picture for them - which is the case will depend on his character.
To kids, riding in the back of a truck rather than in the cab can seem like an adventure.

[Edit - Tara, a flit is leaving suddenly in situations like this.]

Quote:
nounINFORMAL•BRITISH
an act of moving house or leaving one's home, typically secretly so as to escape creditors or obligations.
"moonlight flits from one insalubrious dwelling to another"

Excellent. Many thanks thar!!!