The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

1000 days...oh my Options
L.Rai
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2020 7:37:27 PM

Neurons: 1,675,699
I have been a member of TFD since July 2014, but I never could keep a streak going. Life would get in the way but today I have managed 1000 days without missing a beat. Not earth shattering to be honest but given our current world situation this was a nice milestone to break up the other stuff going on.

I took 3rd place in the idiom contest and 1000 days...there is a silver-lining to life...LOL
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2020 12:15:58 AM

Neurons: 222,441
1000 days active streak? Wow. I rarely get beyond seven!

Well done!
Marek Guman
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2020 6:22:27 AM

Neurons: 2,043,106
Congrats, and to 3rd place in the idiom contest too! I joined the site a week earlier and I keep the streak going since some days later in July 2014. It is really not that difficult for me. Can you please share what idioms did you contribute? I thought I found some undiscovered gems - I heard "to talk the hind legs off a donkey" on a youtube channel, and "to send up the river" - in The Addams family show. Of course, after some brief investigation I found out they're in Idioms on this site too, that I only didn't know them.
L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2020 8:43:18 PM

Neurons: 1,675,699
Dear Marek:

The only one I can remember is "Not my circus, not my monkeys" meaning the problem isn't your concern. I use it a lot with my teachers that I manage. I use a lot of idioms when teaching English, and I was actually very surprised to win anything...LOL

I was doing a great streak until a personal loss happened and that changed everything so for a while I wasn't on the site. However when I returned I was able to keep the streak going. It's hard when I travel so right now being stuck at home being on TFD is at least something to pass the time.

Good for you that you have kept your streak going, I try to get my students to do at least 15 minutes on this site each day to build their vocab, it's good for doing that.

Dear DragOnspeaker..

Thanks for the well wishes. Hitting 1000 was a milestone at least for me. Now to see if I can hit 2000...or 1.6 million neurons...LOL I'd really like the toaster and could use it now that I am having to cook at home...LOL Do you think 1.6 will get me the toaster? LOL Dancing
Ashwin Vemuri
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2020 6:11:14 AM

Neurons: 203,485
Congratulations to You.... I Just Joined TFD 36 Days Back and am inspired to reach a 1000 Days and more....
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2020 7:09:10 AM

Neurons: 222,441
Keep it up Ashwin!

Hi Marek.
L.Rai's idiom reminded me of "(I) couldn't give a monkey's" - meaning "I don't care"; and "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" - "I'm surprised!"

A toaster may well be winging its way to you now - you never know!
coag
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2020 4:05:53 PM

Neurons: 7,695
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
L.Rai's idiom reminded me of "(I) couldn't give a monkey's" - meaning "I don't care"; and "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" - "I'm surprised!"

This reminded me of David Letterman's "I wouldn't give your troubles to a monkey on a rock". I heard Letterman saying this in several occasions and I never knew what it meant exactly. It could mean "no one deserves that, even a monkey on a rock" but I thought it could also mean "I don't care", like Drag0nspeaker's "(I) couldn't give a monkey's".
Marek Guman
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 8:07:08 AM

Hello, and thanks L. Rai for sharing. In Slovakia we say when something's not my problem - that's not my cabbage, I don't know why. I cannot think of any English idiom to participate in the contest. And it might be interesting to know the winning idioms too.

Hello, Ashwin Vemuri. Good luck in your quest!
Ashwin Vemuri
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 1:10:15 AM

Marek Guman wrote:
Hello, and thanks L. Rai for sharing. In Slovakia we say when something's not my problem - that's not my cabbage, I don't know why. I cannot think of any English idiom to participate in the contest. And it might be interesting to know the winning idioms too.

Hello, Ashwin Vemuri. Good luck in your quest!

Thanks Marek, Reached 104,000 in 55 Days.....
Ashwin Vemuri
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 1:10:49 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Keep it up Ashwin!

Hi Marek.

A toaster may well be winging its way to you now - you never know!

Thanks DragOnspeaker
Ashwin Vemuri
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 1:15:44 AM

L.Rai wrote:
Dear Marek:

The only one I can remember is "Not my circus, not my monkeys" meaning the problem isn't your concern. I use it a lot with my teachers that I manage. I use a lot of idioms when teaching English, and I was actually very surprised to win anything...LOL

I was doing a great streak until a personal loss happened and that changed everything so for a while I wasn't on the site. However when I returned I was able to keep the streak going. It's hard when I travel so right now being stuck at home being on TFD is at least something to pass the time.

Good for you that you have kept your streak going, I try to get my students to do at least 15 minutes on this site each day to build their vocab, it's good for doing that.

Dear DragOnspeaker..

Thanks for the well wishes. Hitting 1000 was a milestone at least for me. Now to see if I can hit 2000...or 1.6 million neurons...LOL I'd really like the toaster and could use it now that I am having to cook at home...LOL Do you think 1.6 will get me the toaster? LOL Dancing

Way to Go L.Rai..... You'll Achieve 2000 Days and 1.6 Million, but does TFD send gifts if you achieve neuron milestones?
Marek Guman
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 9:52:29 AM

Hello Ashwin, the simple answer is no, there are no gifts. The toaster thing is only a running joke. By the way, congrats to 100 000 neurons, so much neurons in two months' time is really a lot.
Ashwin Vemuri
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 3:39:41 AM

Marek Guman wrote:
Hello Ashwin, the simple answer is no, there are no gifts. The toaster thing is only a running joke. By the way, congrats to 100 000 neurons, so many neurons in two months' time is really a lot.

Thanks, Marek, I have completed 106,000 Neurons in 56 Days, trying to average 2000 per day with 1 hour each in the mornings and evenings, so it won't affect my post lockdown business schedules.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2020 11:21:27 PM

Neurons: 1,340,852
Marek Guman wrote:
Hello Ashwin, the simple answer is no, there are no gifts. The toaster thing is only a running joke. By the way, congrats to 100 000 neurons, so much neurons in two months' time is really a lot.

You can always list it on your CV.
coag
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 1:47:33 PM

Neurons: 7,695
Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
Marek Guman wrote:

You can always list it on your CV.

Or, even better, you can use it to impress ladies.
I'll tell ya somethin', nothing attracts beautiful women like the guys' neuron count.