The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

as recently as Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 5:31:50 PM

Neurons: 17,596
As recently as fifty year ago, millions of people died from smallpox every year.

I saw the above hook example on YouTube. Please explain the use of "as recently as"
tautophile
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 6:23:43 PM

Neurons: 12,443
The sentence asserts that millions of people around the world died of smallpox every year up until about 1970--fifty years ago. I don't know how true that is. I know that, by about 1980, a concerted international vaccination effort practically eliminated smallpox throughout the world, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 7:07:18 PM

Neurons: 11,995
tautophile wrote:
The sentence asserts that millions of people around the world died of smallpox every year up until about 1970--fifty years ago. I don't know how true that is. I know that, by about 1980, a concerted international vaccination effort practically eliminated smallpox throughout the world, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

The last known case of smallpox was in 1977 the WHO waited a few years to be sure before declaring it eradicated in 1980.
I do agree the claim that 50 years ago millions of people were dying from the virus is a little dubious, 60 years ago possibly before the eradication program was started in earnest.
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 1:37:17 AM

Neurons: 17,596
Thanks
thar
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 1:59:53 AM

Neurons: 90,158
Just to clarify - it is stressing how recent that situation was.
Ie it has changed completely in such a short time.
It was only fifty years ago that this was a major killer, but now it has been eradicated. That massive change occurred in only decades. Other diseases or causes of death have been reduced over time, but this one has been such a rapid change.

If something has changed very rapidly, you use it to show how short a time has passed since it was different.
Eg today a government says CoV-2 is serious and puts preventative measures in place. As recently as last week they were saying it was nothing to worry about.