The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

went Options
nightdream
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 12:49:51 PM

Neurons: 4,314
Which of the options would be better to use:

They were on their way and went till (the) dawn came.

They went on their way and went till (the) dawn came.

And shall one use "the" before "dawn"?
tautophile
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 2:43:39 PM

Neurons: 11,415
As with so many things, "it depends". That is, the best way to express your thought in a narrative like this depends on the context: what has come before, and what is supposed to happen after, the events you narrate.

If by "they were on their way" you mean "they started [or had just started] on their way" from "there" (wherever "there" is), then why not simply say "they started on their way"?

I would follow that with "...and [they] went till dawn came." I would not say "till the dawn". "The dawn" is OK--nothing wrong with it--but it's a rather old-fashioned expression and would draw attention to itself. The phrase "they went till dawn came" (or "they went on till dawn") suggests that they may have stopped at dawn for some reason--perhaps for a rest, or for breakfast, or to visit "chambers of repose"--a highfalutin phrase for "restrooms". If that's so, then the next sentence should be about what they did at dawn.

A problem with the second version of the sentence is that the word "went" occurs twice, as "...went on their way..." and "went till...". You might want to replace the second "went" with "continued". If by "they went on their way" in that sentence, you mean "they proceeded on their way", well, that does not imply that they had just started. They may have been on a journey and stopped "there" for a short while, then continued or proceeded on their way. If this is the case, an earlier sentence should explain. Perhaps something like: "They arrived there just after noon, and rested until early evening. As the sun set, they continued on their way. They went till dawn, when they stopped once more."
nightdream
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 4:08:48 PM

Do you suggest me to write as "They went on their way and went on till dawn came"? (It is not written in the original that they started on their way).

Why do you prefer it rather than "They were on their way and went (on) till dawn came"?
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 8:05:37 PM

Neurons: 1,066,579
The word came at the end of that sentence sounds awkward to me. The second went is also awkward, in my opinion.
They went on their way, and continued until dawn.

Without context, I don't know if "they" are walking or driving or riding horses or anything else.
Could we try something like the following?
They went on their way, and walked until dawn.
They went on their way, walking until daybreak.
They went on their way, riding until sunrise.
They went on their way, driving until sunup.
nightdream
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 1:20:33 PM

"They went on their way and went on till dawn came" - does it make sense?

What would be if I omit "on"? - "They went on their way and went (on) till dawn came"?
nightdream
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 7:13:46 PM

nightdream wrote:
"They went on their way and went on till dawn came" - does it make sense?

What would be if I omit "on"? - "They went on their way and went (on) till dawn came"?

I'm interested in how would change the sense if I omit "on" and wrire just "went":

They went on their way and went (on) till dawn came.