Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

No Problem, Eh! Options
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 3:48:01 PM

Neurons: 52,392
taurine
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 5:53:32 PM

Neurons: 155,597
The helicopter landed at 20:04 or 20:05 on the wrong side of the border, by sheer coincidence.
Romany
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 7:05:07 PM

Neurons: 54,592
Hope - A picture tells a thousand words.
TMe
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 1:34:00 AM

Neurons: 5,674
The problem is there in the USA, Trudeau is calm (naughty?).

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 10:49:55 AM

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 11:50:03 AM

It really is a shame that the world seems to have lost the spirit of working together to defeat this threat to all humans.

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2020/03/26/five-lessons-for-canada-in-the-world-war-against-coronavirus.html

“But for now, as we fight off the scorching heat of individual battles, its most frightening feature may be that every nation, including Canada, has so far seemed to be on its own.
That, of course, is appalling in this 21st century — since the past 70 years of diplomacy have been devoted to creating an international community that would act together in these very moments of global crisis.
But in this era of Trump, that spirit has broken down, and we have to deal with the remnants that survive.”
Romany
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 5:40:23 PM

Neurons: 54,592

But do you think that's entirely true globally? I would have thought people and Governments have been co-operating as much as the nature of the illness allows? Sharing whatever comes available across countries (they even offered Trump ventilators early on but he refused)As medical and other staff is freed up in China and South Korea they are jumping on planes and going to Spain, & exhausted Italians Italy who are the worst hit atm to give a hand. Laboritaries in different countries are sharing information and research.

I certainly don't feel alone. I think we are as connected as we could be.

Remember, Trump trotted round the world acting like a lout, insulting people, talking garbage....and then trying to bribe Germany to hand over exclusive rights to the drug they are working on.

That was like the final "shot that echoed round the world...". He didn't want to co-operate, or work with, or even behave politely, to those who were purportedly his Allies. And now, they're quite happy to indulge his wish to be alone. No-one can trust him or a word that comes out of his mouth anyway, as several world leaders have pointed out. HE's on his own - but from all that we see daily - nations, government and citizens ARE all united against this virus.

But I don't know - perhaps I'm just Pollyannaring the whole situation? Wonder how Lotje feels? Or Thar, or Drago?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 8:53:40 AM

Neurons: 219,510
Me? I think many are trying.
Even China - which was one of THE most isolationist countries - is cooperating and sending aid to others.

It would be great if the same cooperation could continue in the aftermath of this 'disease'.

Oddly, I was litening to speeches from the London Congress on Nuclear Radiation and Health (1956) a couple of weeks ago. 1956 was a time when the news was full of "We're all going to die from fallout! Hide in your basement!"
I haven't got the transcripts now, and won't be able to get them for a couple of months at least, but one little quote was:
"If Man is to survive, he must first be capable of facing his enemies. And those enemies really aren't Man - he just thinks they are.
And until he can be brought to face his real, true enemies on Earth, he cannot be really considered to be a civilised being."

The "true enemies" he went on to talk about were natural diasters - pestilence (disease), vulcanism, drought and flooding - and locusts, just like this year. Apparently there had recently been a plague of them . The speaker (an American) went on to say that unwillingness to cooperate - and even savage competition - was slowing down research which could allay these problems - if the top "expert researchers" across the world in each field were to sit down together (even just on Skype or Zoom in these 'socially distanced' times) they would rapidly come up with some effective solutions.

As I said about Brexit, when news opinion-pieces were predicting a return to the dark ages for the UK - we'll survive, don't panic.

It could be a lot 'less bad' with massive world-wide cooperation on production of supples and on research. It's a disaster, yes, but a suvivable one. And any vaccine or 'cure' WILL somehow be shared - even if it's by word of mouth amongst lab workers across the planet. They are not all going to stand by and let some mega-corporation or country create a monopoly and hold the rest of the world hostage.

Currently, my daughter's in Midrand, South Africa. They've received (private donations from many countries) tons of biological warfare defence materials, bought from arms manufacturers, not medical suppliers. Hazmat suits, masks, and particularly decontaminants and the machinery to use them.
One particular one made from peroxide, detergent and bicarb plus a couple of more complex "activator chemicals" is used as a very fine mist and can sanitise a whole "bullpen" style office in a couple of hours, including papers, inside drawers and cupboards, keyboards, walls, carpets etc. That helps keep the infrastructure there - sanitising essential work-spaces, nursing home common spaces etc. (and peroxide degrades within a few hours in the air, evaporating as water and oxygen).

Other systems use the same chemicals for occupied spaces, where the mist can't be used - so they have volunteers working with the police and security, cleaning and estates companies sanitising nursing-homes, hospitals and so on, in the cities and densely populated areas. Fidelity.

So yes - it is happening - you can't legislate people out of cooperating. You have to start in primary-school educating them to be isolationist and uncooperative.
TMe
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 10:52:49 AM

Neurons: 5,674
Yes Mr. President. I am afraid of you.

---Corova
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 10:57:46 AM

Rom and Drago,

I didn't quite know how to respond because Canada does feel somewhat isolated here with the US talking about sending troops to the border for the first time when no Canadian in their right mind would want to cross into the States these days. What they might do is stop the Americans still trying to get into Canada, although they are now being turned back by the RCMP.

Many Canadians feel as if they have lost their best friend (and they have for now anyhow) and other countries in the Commonwealth are preoccupied with their own problems.

Canadians and their medical officers are quite concerned with the escalation of the disease in America - not only for them and our American friends, but for the repercussions in Canada because of our close alliance with them, economically and physically.

Canada, the US, and probably other countries sent supplies to China at the beginning to try to contain it at the source, and both countries are now short. So China does need to step up to help and reciprocate, and it is. Cuba has sent aid to the US even after the way they have been treated by the US.

Developing countries need help too.

https://www.canada.ca/en/global-affairs/news/2020/03/canadas-humanitarian-assistance-to-help-developing-countries-prepare-and-respond-to-covid-19.html

But I reread the article and it seems to me that the journalist was talking more about communication in methods at the beginning of how to tackle it in a coordinated manner. The G7 couldn't even agree on a statement because Pompeo, presumably at Trump's orders, insisted upon calling it the “China virus” instead of by its proper name. I think the powers that be in the different countries are now communicating by technology.

Drago, the hindrances are just as your “nuclear” speaker mentioned – not only “unwillingness to cooperate”, but “savage competition”. I would think Trump's trying to lure the German company to locate in the US and produce the vaccine for Americans is an example of that. Glad he was not allowed to succeed. Last I heard anyhow.

I had not heard of the diffusion method of disinfecting using those three products. I wonder if the rest of the world medical community knows about it - and they may. The public is not always aware of details.

I read a pessissimistic article by a vaccine researcher who said we can be positive and keep trying to find a vaccine for this virus, but don't count on it, especially not in 18 months. He said they have been looking for an HIV vaccine for years. He also said that after SARS and MERS was under control, they have not developed a vaccine for them so if there is any recurrence, we still don't have a vaccine. Human nature is the same in this case as needing to but can't fix the hole in the roof while it is raining, and when the rain stops there is no need to fix it then. Maybe a little negativity is a good thing to make us aware so we do better.

However, other researchers are more positive and many companies around the world are working on vaccines and treatments. The WHO is conducting a trial with its partners, called “Solidarity” to study the benefits of the four most promising drugs.

Patients will be from Argentina, Bahrain, Canada, France, Iran, Norway, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, and Thailand.

https://bgr.com/2020/03/23/coronavirus-update-who-tests-covid-19-cures/

The US company, Pfizer announced that it would help develop and distribute BioNTech SE’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate, though the deal excludes China.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/these-nine-companies-are-working-on-coronavirus-treatments-or-vaccines-heres-where-things-stand-2020-03-06