The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

gloriously wrong Options
Amarillide
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 5:15:07 AM

Neurons: 544
Hi there,
I was wondering if "to get something gloriously wrong" sounds idiomatic or if it sounds like slightly odd.
Do usually people couple the adjective glorious with the idea of mistake to say that something is very wrong, something very close to saying an egregious mistake?
Or maybe it means something else and it gives a different nuance to the nature of the mistake (or misunderstanding).
Thank you in advance for any suggestion,
Ama
thar
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 6:27:31 AM

Neurons: 89,028
Glorious is not a negative word.

So if you get something gloriously wrong, then yes, you got it completely wrong - but the mistake itself is probably not that serious. Unless you are being sardonic.
eg
if you think the words to the song "Roxanne" were 'rocksand' then you got it completely wrong. But what you produced was funny. You got it gloriously wrong.

Egregious is a very negative word.
If something is egregious it is very harmful, unfair or destructive.
A mistake may be egregious if the result is very harmful.
Quote:
day before his apparent suspension was announced, Smith described his comments about domestic violence as "the most egregious mistake of my career".

But you don't make a mistake egregiously.
In fact, if you do something egregiously it is done deliberately and immorally - and the result is that people are hurt.
Quote:
Regulators said that Salomon Smith Barney and Credit Suisse First Boston had behaved more egregiously than other firms, and the two agreed to pay fines well in excess of $100 million.

Don't be mislead by any false friends of egregious. It used to mean 'outstanding' - ie great, really good. But (perhaps from sarcasm) it now means not just bad but really wrong, - outstandingly wrong - and often morally indefensible.

So although 'gloriously wrong' can mean making a big mistake, it is still not a negative word in itself.
Egregious is negative, and means not just getting something wrong but can also often mean doing something bad.

Amarillide
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 11:36:26 AM

Neurons: 544
Hello Thar,
thank you very much for your interesting insight into the word egregious, I didn't know it used to have a positive meaning.
I think I've got it now, something that is probably a huge mistake but can have its own reason to be. Maybe even more: the act of misunderstanding that gives an unexpected twist to a situation. Of course, I guess it strongly depends on the context...
I would suppose that it is not that idiomatic expression... am I right?
Thank you again,
Ama
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 11:37:59 AM

Neurons: 86,015
thar writes;
Glorious is not a negative word.

So if you get something gloriously wrong, then yes, you got it completely wrong - but the mistake itself is probably not that serious. Unless you are being sardonic.
eg
if you think the words to the song "Roxanne" were 'rocksand' then you got it completely wrong. But what you produced was funny. You got it gloriously wrong.

Egregious is a very negative word.
If something is egregious it is very harmful, unfair or destructive.
A mistake may be egregious if the result is very harmful.
Quote:
day before his apparent suspension was announced, Smith described his comments about domestic violence as "the most egregious mistake of my career".

But you don't make a mistake egregiously.
In fact, if you do something egregiously it is done deliberately and immorally - and the result is that people are hurt.
Quote:
Regulators said that Salomon Smith Barney and Credit Suisse First Boston had behaved more egregiously than other firms, and the two agreed to pay fines well in excess of $100 million.

Don't be mislead by any false friends of egregious. It used to mean 'outstanding' - ie great, really good. But (perhaps from sarcasm) it now means not just bad but really wrong, - outstandingly wrong - and often morally indefensible.

So although 'gloriously wrong' can mean making a big mistake, it is still not a negative word in itself.
Egregious is negative, and means not just getting something wrong but can also often mean doing something bad.

Applause Applause Applause