The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Do You Know the Structure of SARS-Cov2? #64 Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 3:19:31 AM

Neurons: 86,166
In an incredibly fast piece of research, scientists from the University of Texas at Austin and the National Institutes of Health have released a cryo-electron microscopy (cryoEM) structure of part of SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus that has infected tens of thousands of people and killed more than 2,000 since the end of December (Science 2020 DOI: 10.1126/science.abb2507).

The part of the virus imaged, called the spike protein, helps the virus attach to and infect human cells, and its structure comes just weeks after the virus’s genome sequence was published. The breakthrough is a huge step toward developing a vaccine against the virus as well as treatments for COVID-19, the disease that it causes, the researchers say.

Cryo-EM structure of key coronavirus protein could help develop vaccines against the virus
_______by Laura Howes

Credit: Jason McLellan/University of Texas at Austin

Even at their most effective – and draconian – containment strategies have only slowed the spread of the respiratory disease Covid-19. With the World Health Organization finally declaring a pandemic, all eyes have turned to the prospect of a vaccine, because only a vaccine can prevent people from getting sick. This unprecedented speed is thanks in large part to early Chinese efforts to sequence the genetic material of Sars-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. China shared that sequence in early January, allowing research groups around the world to grow the live virus and study how it invades human cells and makes people sick.
Coronaviruses have caused two other recent epidemics – severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) in China in 2002-04, and Middle East respiratory syndrome (Mers), which started in Saudi Arabia in 2012. In both cases, work began on vaccines that were later shelved when the outbreaks were contained

Source; Net search

taurine
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 4:46:57 AM

Neurons: 158,014
Incredibly fast post. Not registered...
Islami
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 12:07:22 PM

Neurons: 1,152
...anything not registered is called 'Unregistered', taurine.

Here at the English forum, you should not write flawed English.
thar
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 1:15:45 PM

Neurons: 90,875
I can't pretend to understand what the heck taurine is talking about most of the time but I do defend his right to say it.

And while I don't know what 'not registered' means here, as English it does happen to be fine.
You can register (take in/ understand) something) or not register it. That is difference from paperwork registered/ unregistered. And even then something is not registered if you haven't registered it.
So that bit is OK. Still doesn't give me the slightest clue what he meant, though.Whistle
Islami
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 10:14:15 AM

Neurons: 1,152
Mr thar thrashed someone.

I think Mr. Urine, t.a. must learn now.