The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Re: All Of This Panic Could Have Been Prevented Options
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 12:29:10 AM

Neurons: 1,322,054
Donald Jackass Trump, along with his administration, continue to propagate the lie that "no one could have seen this coming." Yet, the US government has been preparing for a pandemic since the aftermath of the 1918 flu. All the signs were readily available for anyone watching the situation unfold in China. However, Donald Jackass Trump was more interested in self promotion and putting down his opponents than in governing, as if he was even capable of that!

Donald Jackass Trump's incompetent buffoonery, and those that enable him, have helped turn a manageable problem into deadly catastrophe. We need to speak in clear, simple language that even the con artist in chief can understand...

Dear Donald Jackass Trump, you're fired!

'All Of This Panic Could Have Been Prevented': Author Max Brooks On COVID-19

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/24/820601571/all-of-this-panic-could-have-been-prevented-author-max-brooks-on-covid-19

Apocalyptic novelist Max Brooks is something of an expert on planning for pandemics and other disasters. The author, whose books include World War Z, Germ Warfare and the forthcoming Devolution, has toured the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and has reviewed government response plans related to various emergency situations — all in the course of research [and has lectured on the subject at the U.S. Naval War College. He has also been a nonresident fellow at the Modern War Institute at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point].

"We have a network in place that we as taxpayers have been funding to get us ready for something just like this," Brooks says of the U.S. response to the COVID-19 pandemic. But, he adds, "we have been disastrously slow and disorganized from Day 1."

Brooks says the notion that the U.S. government was blindsided by the pandemic is "an onion of layered lies."

"What could have happened when this virus exploded — even when Wuhan was locked down — is we could have put the word out," he says. "The government could have put the word out to ramp up emergency supplies to get them ready and then have an information strategy in place."

Instead, Brooks says, President Trump was slow to acknowledge the virus as a real threat. And thus far, the president has resisted using the Defense Production Act to force private companies to manufacture masks, gloves and other essential supplies in the fight against the coronavirus. Many government task forces that plan for disasters have yet to be activated in this crisis.

"One of the biggest problems we're facing now is panic. You see it in the stock market. You see it in panic buying," he says. "All of this panic could have been prevented. ... If the president had been working since January to get the organs of government ready for this, we as citizens could have been calmed down knowing that the people that we trust to protect us are doing that."
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 9:36:01 AM

Neurons: 86,015
The USA did take preventive measures but perhaps those were not enough.

The first known case of COVID-19 in the U.S. was confirmed on January 20, 2020, in a 35-year-old man who had returned from Wuhan, China, five days earlier. The White House Coronavirus Task Force was established on January 29. Two days later, the Trump administration declared a public health emergency and announced restrictions on travelers arriving from China. On February 26, the first case in the U.S. in a person with "no known exposure to the virus through travel or close contact with a known infected individual" was confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in northern California.]
From January to mid-March, the United States got off to a slow start in COVID-19 testing In that period, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) procedures forbade labs that followed internationally recognized test protocols from releasing results to patients. The FDA only approved non-government test kits from late February and had restrictive test eligibility guidelines until early March. The CDC developed and distributed test kits of its own, many of which were found to have a manufacturing flaw in a non-essential component, which however made the kit illegal to use until the protocol was changed This was followed by the government announcing a series of measures intended to speed up testing. As of March 20, 100,000 tests had been conducted. Private companies have begun to ship hundreds of thousands of tests. Drive-through testing stations are starting all over the country. The CDC warned that widespread transmission may force large numbers of people to seek hospitalization and other healthcare, which may overload healthcare systems. Since March 19, 2020, the Department of State has advised U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel. The U.S. government has advised against any gathering of more than 10 people.
After mid-March 2020, the federal government made a significant change, of course, to use the US military to initiate and lead an effort to rapidly grow COVID-19 intensive care facilities nationwide. The US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), under existing statutory authority that comes from congressional authorizations and powers of Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), will be rapidly leasing a large number of buildings across the US in hotels and in larger open buildings to immediately grow the number of rooms and beds with ICU capability for patients of the 2020 coronavirus pandemic, according to a briefing on March 20. USACE will handle leasing and engineering, with contracts for rapid facility modification and setup issued to local contractors. The plan envisions that the operation of the facilities and the provision of medical staff would be entirely handled by the various U.S. states rather than the Federal government

Source; Internet
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 11:18:23 AM

Neurons: 52,433
Hi AJ.

How are you healing these days? Thanks for the info.

Part of the problem with the rest of the world is that they did not take heed to China's plight once China realized and stopped denying the enormity to themselves and that it was a huge problem. The rest of the world also denied and did not close their borders after case one or ramp up medical supply production then. Canada is now in panic mode too as they did not act soon enough either.

The US was not the only country to deny the inevitable - it was coming to everybody and they should have started controls sooner. Humans have no immunity and until a vaccine is produced (year to year and a half) or a drug is found to help, it will continue to spread and people will die. Asymptomatic people can spread it.

However, the president's dispensing of incorrect info once he had been briefed about China in December, and his desire to stop a panic by calling it a Democratic hoax and the Chinese virus has actually created panic in some because they know better, and caused a complacent attitude in others. Some officials/governors have actually suggested that old people/grandparents should be willing to die for the DOW. Brick wall

Trump's cancellation in 2018 on video (and later denial he was aware of it) of the White House Pandemic Office has slowed things even further. Big mistake.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/nsc-pandemic-office-trump-closed/2020/03/13/a70de09c-6491-11ea-acca-80c22bbee96f_story.html

I also don't understand why Trump turned down the tests offered by the WHO and instead relied upon their own supply which could not keep up.

And Trump is now saying he wants the economy open again at Easter - “a beautiful day” to choose. According to what is happening elsewhere, this is far too soon.

Most countries are wishing they had handled this crisis differently right from the start, but what they do NOW is still very important. Let's hope the powers that be around the world and humans everywhere get the message and do the right things now to stop this crisis that seems like the horror movies of the past.

Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 5:50:09 PM

Hope123 wrote:
And Trump is now saying he wants the economy open again at Easter - “a beautiful day” to choose. According to what is happening elsewhere, this is far too soon.

Oh, that's just a demonstration of how desperate he is for votes. He's pandering to the Christian right. Blowing more smoke up their collective a$$.
L.Rai
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 6:51:07 PM

Neurons: 1,631,780
To be fair, and Hope you are right, it's not just the US who didn't take action quick enough. The President and many others around the world had the lesson from China and should have heeded it. China bought the world time and yet no one was willing to learn. Governments around the world then tried, but people around the world did stupid things.

So Oscar, are you saying you would have been willing to have our President LOCK-DOWN the entire country weeks ago and force people to stay home and do what China did??? Do you think anyone would have listened???

It's time we stop blaming the government for what citizens didn't do. Young people who flaunted the order to not gather, others who find it funny to cough on people or food, people who are still in denial...and the list goes on.

I find it ironic, I came back to China on Feb 6th, and people back home kept telling me I was insane. I felt fine with the decision I had made because at that time if I was to catch it I'd rather be in a place that was more equipped to deal with it, not in the US where we had maybe 6 cases in total and people still had no clue.

I went into a mandatory quarantine, and YES they put a camera outside my front door to make sure I didn't break the rules. I stayed home and wasn't even allowed to open my front door, throw out my trash or buy food. I managed. Then after the 14 days I only went out to buy food and came right back to my apartment. I have been under lock-down protocol for 7 weeks, and only this week have I started to venture out again.

We have been virus free since March 9th where I live, totally clear until yesterday when one case was reported in my city. The virus came back here via a US student (just a coincidence in my opinion and not a statement on our country) That person was caught at the airport taken to a government hotel where they will be isolated and treated. As of now that is the only known case in my province and time will tell.

Are we all scared of this thing coming back...you bet. The people in China learned the hard way to take this threat seriously, they have paid a high price and they are showing the rest of the world what it will take to fight it. Now I hope the rest of the world is ready to learn and take the actions needed to attempt to quell this pandemic.

This is not going away soon. It will take time. We are learning that this may have begun as early as mid-December. I do remember reading something about a new "flu" at the end of December. Things began to happen by Jan. 7th, and then Jan. 20, China locked-down Wuhan and the surrounding areas. Waiting that long gave this virus a head-start. The world saw it, yet when the virus broke out of China the world didn't heed the message.

I can understand people get panicked and others go into denial, but when faced with facts it's time to listen and do what you must. I am in shock as I watch young people around the world doing stupid things, thinking they are funny, acting as it this thing will not touch them, we are learning this virus doesn't really care what age you are. I am more sad by attitudes around the world (and especially in the US) that feel older people should die, we have no value and if we were to die maybe it would be best. The leadership in Texas is deeply troubling, asking those who are older to "take one for the sake of the country???" Are you kidding me! What will that prove?

People get used to the fact our global economy will be shit for a long time...not the first time we have faced this and not the last, and we will deal with it, and move on. Will everyone feel it...sure. Maybe a little hit to our pockets will get people to start thinking about others and the collective pain. We have been very lucky in the US to have had years of relative good times, now we need to face the fact that hard times are here.

Let's stop pointing fingers and finding someone to blame and let's face it, we will all need to work together to get through this. Do we have poor leadership in the US currently, (rhetorical question which I won't bother to answer)Whistle But the larger question is what are you doing about it in your own backyard?

If you are not taking this seriously, if you insist, your rights are more important than protecting those around you, if you feel that you are more important than anyone else, well then, you are part of the reason this virus will not be contained anytime soon. If however, you do your part and stay home, practice proper hygiene, and care that others are affected by your actions, then we may just see some light at the end of this very long tunnel...oh this is not going to be contained by April 6th...so dream on.

As someone who has lived and worked in China for over 12 years, I can tell you that the steps they have taken here are working and we just need to get over the fact that China has done well...As someone who has lived in China through this event, you need to know the steps will work, but it will mean everyone gets serious. This is not a 30 min. sitcom where the ending happens and all is good in one episode, be prepared, it will strike again, and the 2nd time is worse.

So Mr. Oscar, are you as the new vocabulary says, "sheltering in place," practicing "social distancing," and doing all you can? Or are you only concerned with pointing fingers of blame and hoping this will go away without anymore inconvenience to you. Again a rhetorical question.

Sorry, I'm just getting tired of listening to people bitching and blaming. I can tell you I have been without paid work for 2 months now and I'm facing a 3rd month soon. I feel the pain of this and know first hand it's not easy...from that vantage point I implore everyone, just do your part, please!
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 9:06:58 PM

L.Rai wrote:
So Mr. Oscar, are you as the new vocabulary says, "sheltering in place," practicing "social distancing," and doing all you can? Or are you only concerned with pointing fingers of blame and hoping this will go away without anymore inconvenience to you. Again a rhetorical question.

Thanks for asking. My state has a stay at home order. Shopping and other necessary trips are still allowed. Stores only allow a few people in at a time and they have reserved hours for shopping by senior citizens and the disabled. I am staying at home.
L.Rai
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 11:09:38 PM

Oscar:

Nice to know...thanks and I hope you stay safe.

Update from this morning, the province where I live has just reported 2 new cases. We had been virus free for the last 30 days but yesterday we had one case reported and now today our second.

No one knows what this means yet, other than it's back. Time will tell and now all we can do is wait and see.

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 1:19:10 AM

Neurons: 52,433
LRai,

I hope it just means that travellers are returning and with few numbers they will be able to do the tracing of movement that the WHO says is so important.

I had to stop reading Twitter tonight after just a few tweets. Most of my followers and those I follow are American. One poster said he got to say to goodbye to his Mom and tell her he loved her as they intubated her and then she died. Another said to make sure you tell people you love them as his mother was just intubated, she was so scared, but she told him she loved him too. Another said he just lost both of his grandparents. A NY hospital is discussing DNR to save the nurses who have no protective gear. I believe it is N.Y. as well where they are putting bodies into freezer trucks.

Yet Trump says they are doing well in the “war”. Fauci wasn't even allowed to talk the last time.

You had to see the video of a previous TV interview of how head doc Dr. Fauci reacted while Trump was speaking to understand the drawing. Fauci was trying to hide his amusement. He has been dismayed with Trump's attitude in other interviews. It is the medical experts, not the politicians, who should be leading the charge and speaking to the people.

I couldn't handle past those few tweets - tears, anger, scared, sad. I was doing well but it ramped up my anxiety about my son out there trying to keep his hospitals running with never enough money.

Goose Canada that makes down filled winter wear is now making, in Canada, protective wear for the doctors and nurses. I hope other companies step up.

Last night I wrote a polite note to our neighbour across the hall and put it under his door. He told my husband on the phone that he has been going for walks while supposedly being quarantined after just returning from a cruise. That means he goes into the halls, touches elevator buttons, and door handles. Our super is trying hard to sanitize as she says she has a building full of old people but she can only do so much. His lady friend had “a touch of pneumonia” what ever that means BEFORE they left, has it worse now but hospital sent her home no test, and he has some kind of upper respiratory infection. I asked him to please stay in his unit. Travellers had to sign that they were quarantining themselves but he has a different idea of what that means. They should never have even gone on the cruise at that late date in the pandemic warnings.

I like the idea of a camera on your door for Canadians who are now going to be held legally responsible if they go out. Some are still getting groceries before returning home.

We are self isolating and will continue to do so till it becomes unnecessary.

We ordered groceries today - to be ready a week from Friday for pick up. They are that busy. They put them in your car - you don't get out.

So many thanks to all those workers and helpers that we take for granted every day.

We are moving house third week in April and movers were deemed an essential service. Hope this calms down in Ontario by then. It is freaking me out a little that three men will be handling everything we own.

Stay well! I think I'd almost rather be where you are right now.

L.Rai
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 7:27:36 PM

Hope:

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Stop reading for now. Nothing will change quickly and the news will only be bad. Take a break. It's best to shut down and read a good book. Getting upset is not healthy for you. This is not going away soon, and people need to embrace that fact and just push on. We can get through it but we need to work together.

Landmark today, the US has surpassed China, yippee for us, (tongue firmly embedded in cheek) I never wanted to see anyone win this race...it's best to come in last on this one.

Take care all and try to stay safe and well.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 9:17:50 PM

What have other countries done to minimize covid19 cases that the US hasn't done? Early testing and quarantining of suspected individuals. Has this made a difference? Yes. Night and day!

How South Korea Reined In The Outbreak Without Shutting Everything Down

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/26/821688981/how-south-korea-reigned-in-the-outbreak-without-shutting-everything-down

Number of cases as of March 26th

Hong Kong: 410
Singapore: 631
Japan: 1,307
South Korea: 9,137
United States: 83,430
Romany
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 9:33:21 PM

Neurons: 54,679

I want to say how heartwarming and cheering it was here at 8.00pm tonight when everybody across Britain was asked to show their appreciation for our wonderful NHS - and all the thousands of retired doctors/nurses who have come out of retirement to work through this.

And the thing that was so thrilling was that it was EVERYONE - every single car across the country pulled over, the few passengers in buses all got out...across the whole country. People came to windows & doors and balconies and front gardens and clapped and banged a few saucepans, and cheered and whooped and hollered thanks...and then we all went inside and watched all the other towns and cities and villages we could find on YouTube. And I think that's been the greatest morale-booster so far, uniting every person everywhere.

I think, when people are panicky, afraid, confused,fed-up, thought has to go into uniting people, and boosting public morale, as much as it goes to any other actions we're taking. Just watching those daft Spanish cops (my favourite vid. at the moment) pulling up all ominously and shouting to demand people come to listen ...and then busting out a guitar and dancing with each other will probably have helped more people than they could imagine.

United, people are strong. They support each other and overcome problems - or accept them as gracefully as they can. And I think that's one of the most important things for all governments to engender now. And if they won't, then it's up to people everywhere to do it. All the division, and politics, and blame rips people into separate, diverse little groups, ranged against a and common foe. It we don't do it together we won't be able to do it at all.