The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What is your country doing to “flatten the curve” of the Covid-19 virus? Options
Hope123
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 11:35:43 AM

Neurons: 52,433
What is your country doing to “flatten the curve” of the Covid-19 virus?

This is a huge world problem, the worst even old people have seen in their lifetimes. Most of the cases are minor but you don't know how your body will will fight or if you will get what they think is the stronger variant. I won't post a horrifying step by step analysis I read of what the virus does to your body before you even feel it. Apparently the lungs of some people mount an immune inflammatory response that drowns the lungs. The way my body overreacts to everything, I expect that would be me. I'm staying put now.

So let's all pull together and do as directed. Unless on the front lines - STAY HOME!

And call your loved ones and those who are vulnerable and quarantined.

Here's what some countries are doing to slow the coronavirus outbreak.
Updated March 22, 2020

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/02/coronavirus-spread-virus-disease-countries-epidemic/

Some countries are helping other countries in dire need.

Cuba sends doctors to Italy.

https://news.yahoo.com/cuban-doctors-arrive-italy-battle-091532299.html

China sends masks and other medical supplies to other countries. It completely washes down entire cities twice a day. Drones, trucks, workers in hazmat suits with spray hoses... (well, we DO wash our hands).

China hopes to win points after foot dragging at the beginning, but wants countries to know how hard it is to stop the virus from spreading. China is also “reciprocating assistance it received. Nearly 80 countries sent supplies to China, some on charter flights they sent to evacuate their citizens from Wuhan”.

https://time.com/5807710/china-sends-medical-supplies-coronavirus/

Canada takes the lead in refusing to send athletes in 2020 to Tokyo Olympics and Australia joined them. On March16 Canada closed its borders to anyone who was not a citizen or permanent resident, even the US border except for essential travel. Travellers are to quarantine themselves for 14 days and a criminal offence for not doing so is being contemplated. Economic aid coming in the billions may not be enough, especially for small businesses. Funding has been invested in the production of vaccines and drugs. Blue dot in Canada sounded the pandemic alarm several days before the WHO did. The government is helping companies to get and do more and more tests as testing is essential.

The US closed its borders to international travel including from the UK and later agreed to close the US and Canada border to non essential travel, keeping it open for trade and commerce. The states and cities have been implementing measures for their own constituencies.

US Peter Navarro calls for “ Buy American”. “U.S. Air Force flew 500,000 coronavirus testing swabs to the States from Italy when the latter was experiencing a major strain on medical supplies caused a huge controversy. Washington's latest attempt to offer a "billion dollars" to secure a German-made vaccine "only for the United States" has been described by the country's national newspaper General-Anzeiger as "a plan revealing the ugly face of Washington to the world."

http://english.cctv.com/mobile/tuwen/index.shtml?articalID=ARTIBRvqjD9EtQ41drmekE19200322

In 2018 Trump on video said he fired the entire Pandemic Response Team but recently says he is not responsible and knew nothing about that.

US Congress is trying to agree on what aid to give so that aid will go to workers as well as to big corporations.

I read yesterday a different bill had been sent to Trump but the Senate Democrats didn’t pass this bill because it gave Steve Mnuchin 500 billion dollars to do what he wanted with it no questions asked so he could bail out huge corporations.

While waiting for results of the Covid19 virus test, Paul Rand went to the Senate, went to the gym, and went swimming. Then he tested positive. Several Republican Senators could not vote as they were quarantined after contact with Rand so McConnell was stopped in his bid for the “giant corporate bailout fund with no accountability", as Schumer called it. It would benefit corporate interests at the expense of hospitals, healthcare workers, cities and states.

In spite of this disagreement, the US will get there and get economic help fro their citizens as much as possible.

thar
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 1:10:04 PM

Neurons: 89,121
I am in England, but a lot of people will know what is happening there. So this is a view from Iceland (a bit out of date but shows the philosophy)

Iceland government coronavirus policy explained by journalist

Quarantine (self-isolation) for returning Icelanders (but not tourists) . No restrictions on travel.
Everyone paid during any self- isolation.
Financial package worth 8% of GDP to ease financial hardship.
Ban on public events of more than 20 people
2m distancing ensured at any gathering
Public places closed. (Eg resataurants, gyms, pools)
Businesses involving close contact closed (eg hairdressers)
Upper schools and universities closed.
Lower schools remote learning if possible, but if not then small classes and physical distancing if on site.

Aim :

Quote:
The chart illustrates well the authorities’ objectives. Our aim is to spread out the strain over a longer period of time so that healthcare institutions in Iceland can provide the best possible care to all. In short, we prefer that there be less strain over a longer period of time rather than more strain over a shorter period of time.

All actions taken during an epidemic affect people’s daily lives, but to varying degrees. The authorities are therefore introducing measures that are known to be successful. We focus on evidence-based measures that have a successful track record, such as quarantine at home (self-quarantine), isolation for infected persons, early diagnosis of infection, and effective information disclosure to the public.

The premise for these actions is that there be a community-wide consensus: that we all agree to follow expert advice and participate together in this endeavour. Infectious diseases affect individuals’ health, but they also affect the well-being of the entire community. We are all members of Iceland’s civil protection and emergency management team.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 5:37:29 PM

Thanks, Thar.

Basically every country that isn’t able to test and trace like S. Korea, Taiwan and Singapore, desperately tries to avoid a lockdown until it can’t anymore. I just read the UK is in lockdown and Trudeau in so many words is warning Canadians he'll do the same if people don't stop thinking they are invincible.

Iceland's testing has shown that asymptomatic people are spreading the disease before they know they have it.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardelli/coronavirus-testing-iceland
L.Rai
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 7:49:02 PM

Neurons: 1,631,780
While China is not my country I do live here and have been back here since Feb. 6th. I have to say that the Chinese have done an amazing job once they got a handle on it. I am so sorry to say the rest of the world didn't take notice or listen.

Here in the Northeast we have been virus free in my province since March 9th and fully recovered (only one death) since March 16. Our public schools have not opened yet and we hope they will open next month. Meantime our business which is an after-school program can't open until the government tells us we can. So my teachers wait and stay at home.

We are now no longer on full lock-down but we are still keeping a distance, washing our hands, using masks etc.

China is now preparing for re-infection by those who will come back here. In order to stem that tide you can NO LONGER fly directly to Beijing. You will be diverted to one of three airports set up to check flights and then if you have the virus you will be taken off the flight and isolated at that location. Those who can continue will fly into Beijing where you are checked again and if you show signs you will be isolated at that location.

Some people have tried to lie about having the virus but China has caught them and if they are Chinese they face jail time and stiff fines. China is very serious about this. If Beijing wasn't your final destination you will be flown to that place and then checked again and finally at that location you are taken to a government hotel and isolated for 14 days at your own expense.

Needless to say China really doesn't want you here right now. On a positive note Wuhan where this all began, is now 6 days without a single case, we need to get to 14 before they will be considered clear but then they won't be totally clear until the last person recovers.

Please note, re-infection is the more serious threat. So much is NOT known but from reputable sources like the CDC, WHO they are now saying those who get this a 2nd time face a bigger risk. This is serious, this is real, the rest of the world needs to lock-down and take action...the longer people go into denial the longer we will all suffer.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 9:00:51 PM

Thanks, LRai. Whoa.

That is scary and the first I've heard about it. You can get it again and the body reacts in an even worse way!

Yes, too bad the rest of the world didn't listen and lock down and pursue all contacts after case one.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 10:17:53 PM

LRai, I didn't think you'd mind if I posted your post on my little Facebook group of family and a couple of friends so I did. But may I also post it on Twitter? A word from someone in China who knows what is happening might be welcomed.
Vermifugal
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 11:59:13 PM

Neurons: 5
Staying at home and social distancing. And only going out when buying some food or necessities and if you are and exception and is still have to go to work.
L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 7:38:34 AM

Hope:

Here is a website link: https://www.hngn.com/articles/228195/20200228/coronavirus-reinfection-possible-fatal-second-time.htm

this is an article that talks about getting the virus a 2nd time and the outcome of a 2nd infection. It was one of a handful I have found doing an internet search in the last week.

A few news sites have done some reporting but the truth is no one can say anything with certainty because this COVID-19 is so new and they don't have enough data to make concrete information available. 60 days ago, I would have told you based on the information we had, it's the 'flu', but today this is more than the 'flu' and we need to take steps to protect ourselves and others.

You have my permission to re-post but just use my initials please because I am not really at liberty to be saying much because of where I live. I hope you can understand that.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 10:51:43 AM

No worries, LRai. I just said a friend who has a school in China. I wasn't sure if you are American or not so I did not add that. I assume your school is to teach English. I would never post a name or even initials even with permission. There were no identifying clues in the post or I would have changed/deleted them. I don't trust social media with personal info.

And I realized afterwards because of the length, on Twitter I would have to do a whole thread unroll and I've never tried that before. So I just found a link about reinfection and posted it. It was easier. I'll check your link too. What I wanted to show about your post was China's response and success. People here are not trusting that China is telling the truth about the fact there have been no new cases.

You are correct - nobody knows what we are dealing with.

I am impressed with what China did after it realized the power of this virus and got its act together. Washing whole cities, building hospitals, and locking it down to one area..

Other countries did not heed the warning. Canadians are still trying to go about business as usual complaining that the PM was too “angry” when he told people to stop gathering together and said, “Enough is enough”. This is one case where an authoritarian government can move more quickly than a democracy. Canadian opposition party is arguing in Parliament about giving the gov power to control money without parliament for a year - while the economy tanks and people are losing jobs. They need help NOW.
L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 8:05:00 PM

Hope:

Yep I am from the US and I want to emphasize that China has done very well after it woke up to the fact this wasn't just the "flu" It is true that democracy in these circumstances is not as effective as a government that just takes control and does what has to be done. While the goal of the company where I work is to teach English, my larger goal is to teach critical thinking skills. This has been a good example of why we need more critical thinkers and not just "herd" mentality. I stress constantly to my students to check the SOURCE and be sure not to pass rumors. In the first days of this there were so many rumors and stupid advice being sent out on Chinese social media...but once the government stepped up and cracked down, then we started getting better and more factual information flowing out.

Check out the SOURCE, then check it again with other SOURCES and know that it's good info before sharing, that is just a good rule to follow.

I just hope more Western countries will look at what China is doing now and follow it, they are doing the right protocols and it is working. Yesterday was the first time in over 7 weeks I actually went out of my home area. I took a public bus for the first time since I got back to China on Feb. 6th. I have to say it was actually nice. Buses here tend to be really crowded and packed but yesterday finding a seat, no problem, and clean, it was amazing! I hate to say it but I think I may really like this NEW China that is cleaner (if indeed they keep it up).

People are starting to return to life here but it's been slow. China got tough and did a total lock-down on Feb. 1st and it took until last week for things to ease up. It's been 6 weeks of lock-down, it will take time and people need to go slow and not rush it or this thing WILL come back with a even worse result.

There will be an economic impact no matter what, but if we don't suck it up now we will be facing further problems down the road with 2nd or even 3rd bouts of it. Take the pain now...just do it. Our company has been shut down for 8 weeks. We have been paying our staff 50% which is very hard because we have NO income so our reserves are being eaten up. We are facing at least one more month of no work and if it goes beyond that we most likely will shut for good. Everyone is concerned, but we all know that if we do not do what we have been asked to do we could be doing great harm in the long run. Even when we can open again which we hope will be May first. (Mind you we should have opened back from Chinese New Years on Feb. 5)...so 12 weeks of no income! We are not sure how many of our students will come back, or even what their public school schedule will be like. We teach most of our students on Sat/Sun but now we are being told to prepare for losing one of those days to the public school. Chinese kids will go back we hope April 20 and they will have to attend school 6 days a week for many months to come and NO summer break this year. They must make up the lost time but it will be very hard.

China has been at this longer than any other country so it is wisdom for others to see what we are doing and see what mistakes we have made and learn! I can't emphasize that enough. Before I became a teacher in China, I was an entrepreneur, I worked with the SBDCs in the US and helped small business people to grow their companies...I get it. However, stuff like this is something you can't really prepare for but you just need to do what you can to ride it out. That's what we have been trying to do.

I wish everyone the best in these hard times, remember if we can all just work together we can pull through and find that life can continue, it will not be as it was but it will continue.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 1:59:19 PM

LRai, thanks again for the info. Your last statement is exceptionally well said.

Some hope for Canada? We will cling to any good news we can get.

London, Ontario sees the acceleration of cases declining, which is good news - the hope is two to three more weeks of acceleration, and then the decline.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/coronavirus-cases-london-ontario-peak-1.5509885

Dr. Chris Mackie, the medical officer of health for the Middlesex-London Health Unit, said, “Canada was on track to contain COVID19 coronavirus until our neighbour to the south had a meltdown. Now US-linked cases are approaching half of our cases.”

Canada at first tracked and contained contacts until “about a month ago when we started to see dramatic increases in numbers in the U.S., and also, a significant underestimate of cases there," he said.

Most of the snowbirds and travellers should be home to Canada by now. They've had plenty of warning.
lazarius
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 8:33:08 AM

Neurons: 803,235
thar wrote:
I am in England, but a lot of people will know what is happening there.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1243496858095411200

Not that I like him very much but he is the head of Her Majesty's government and I wouldn't want any disruption there.

-
TMe
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 12:19:08 PM

Neurons: 5,674
21 days moratorium. To break the contagion's life-cycle, make-it-die its own death.

What I have learned, Corona is a protein that causes respiratory disease and in turn, is called Covid. 19 coz in attacked the humans in 2019.

Yes, in that way only China could control. And you know it mainly confined to Hubei province where Wuhan capital city. They were prompt to understand the gigantic work ahead.

Every country is doing its best.
Ursus Minor
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 1:34:59 PM

Neurons: 2,851
These are 10 acupressure points for coronavirus. You can't help feeling their effect on breathing:

http://www.dailymirror.lk/medicine/Acupressure-can-help-fight-Coronavirus/308-182717

Hope123
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 9:15:50 PM

Ursus Minor wrote:
These are 10 acupressure points for coronavirus. You can't help feeling their effect on breathing:

http://www.dailymirror.lk/medicine/Acupressure-can-help-fight-Coronavirus/308-182717

Acupressure may stimulate the body in certain ways as a perhaps a bit of a preventive, but it is no match for Covid19. Once you are infected, you are infected.