The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

They knew. They did nothing. Options
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 1:01:54 AM

Neurons: 1,319,327
Crimson Contagion. The US government did a simulation study last year of their preparedness for a flu pandemic and found that the county's medical system was woefully unprepared.

What Last Year's Government Simulation Predicted About Today's Pandemic

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/20/819186528/what-last-years-government-simulation-predicted-about-todays-pandemic

What did they do? Nothing. Trump went and played golf nearly every weekend at the US taxpayer's expense. The report was left at "draft" status and never finalized in an apparent attempt to bury it.

When questioned about the report, the Trump administration's response is ludicrous.

Quote:
"CHANG: Right. If I could just cut in. Now, you asked the White House about this currently. What did the White House say it did once it discovered all these problems that were revealed in the simulation - in the last 30 seconds we have left?

SANGER: Sure. They didn't say whether or not they had been briefed on it, but they did note that the - that there was a flu in that case and a virus in this case. And they said, well, that's very different - maybe that they're different diseases, but they had similar - very similar problems."

Did you get that? The flu is "very different" from a virus!

The flu IS caused by a virus!

Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 1:16:42 AM

Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 12:46:24 AM

Returning from Asia, family finds the US woefully unprepared to handle SARS-CoV-2 pandemic.

This is little donny's failure because "they knew and did nothing."

I’m back home from Asia and shocked at U.S. coronavirus response

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/im-back-home-in-the-u-s-from-asia-and-shocked-and-angered-that-all-americans-arent-taking-coronavirus-seriously/

Quote:
"My family barely fled Vietnam last week before all international flights were grounded. Instead of feeling relief when we landed back in the United States, I was alarmed to see a lack of safety precautions or serious concern about the COVID-19 crisis in comparison to Asia. I am gravely concerned about America’s ability to avert a health and economic catastrophe.

As soon as the U.S. State Department released a Travel 4 Advisory that urged all Americans abroad to immediately return to the United States, my family scrambled to buy next-day flights out of Vietnam. Despite the rising number of COVID-19 infections in the United States, I was eager to return home and have access to top quality medical support.

In Vietnam, by government mandate, everyone must wear masks in public places. In every building, business, apartment complex and public space, officials took temperature readings and provided hand sanitizer. The government required all passengers on our flight from Ho Chi Minh City to Taipei to wear masks, even my thumb-sucking 2-year-old. Vietnam, reflective of the rest of Asia, is taking the COVID-19 virus very, very seriously.

In contrast, only half the passengers from Taipei to Seattle, presumably mostly American, were wearing masks. I nearly became a social-media meme as I stood in the aisle of the plane lambasting a trio of young women who had to cut their Thailand backpacking trip short. They were mock coughing and joking about COVID-19 panic. I offered them extra masks, but they declined with cavalier arrogance. My wife forced me to sit down before I got kicked off the plane and trapped in Taiwan.

Once we landed in Seattle, I had expected to see staff in hazmat suits with thermometers. As the initial epicenter, Seattle was the Wuhan or Milan of the United States. Instead, it was mostly business as usual. When I asked a Customs and Boarder Protection official why she wasn’t wearing a mask, she looked at me befuddled and said, “because there aren’t any.” Tragic, as the COVID-19 virus is extremely contagious and lingers in the air for several hours. All it takes is one sneeze from a carrier to risk infecting everyone in his or her vicinity. Equally as tragic is the epic failure of testing availability."
TMe
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 10:51:42 AM

Neurons: 5,674
Indian PM Modi has done a commendable job. He has tried to nip the evil in the bud. We Indians are committed to staying inside our homes and set an example for the struggling nations. We will finish the Covirus from the root.
whatson
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 12:47:48 PM

Neurons: 3,475
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2020 5:16:21 AM

They knew. They did nothing.

Trump Warns 'One Of The Toughest Weeks' Is Ahead, Says To Brace For 'A Lot Of Death'

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/04/826741317/federal-government-implements-relief-as-nation-reels-from-coronavirus-pandemic

In a grim assessment of the COVID-19 pandemic, President Trump on Saturday predicted that the coming week would be "one of the toughest weeks" of the outbreak. At the same time, the president expressed frustration with the toll social distancing measures are taking on the economy, saying "we cannot let this continue."

With data projecting cases in several regions hitting their peaks within seven days, the president told reporters that the United States could see its deadliest week since the coronavirus outbreak began.

"There's going to be a lot of death, unfortunately. There will be a lot of deaths," the president said at a briefing of the White House coronavirus task force.

At least 7,100 Americans have already died in the outbreak. Nationwide, more than 278,000 cases have been confirmed, more than any other country.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2020 6:17:24 AM

Neurons: 52,392
I wonder if this crisis will make world governments put money into healthcare and be better prepared with more supplies, doctors, and nurses for the next pandemic. They did nothing after SARS and MERS, not even make a vaccine. Be nice if this one scared them enough to act instead of becoming complacent again when this is over.

Ontario has needed money for hospitals for at least two decades. The ON governments have not even kept up with inflation, let alone the aging of the population and hospital equipment, and the increase in population. The need for new computer systems is crucial, especially with the criminals hacking into the existing ones.

I guess I'm a little ahead right now with wondering this for the future, as we need to get through this first - stay home except for necessities, help each other, make PPE, and get going on treatments and a vaccine. And wash your hands!
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2020 12:11:12 AM

They knew. They did nothing.

Protective gear in national stockpile is nearly depleted, DHS officials say

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/coronavirus-protective-gear-stockpile-depleted/2020/04/01/44d6592a-741f-11ea-ae50-7148009252e3_story.html

The government’s emergency stockpile of respirator masks, gloves and other medical supplies is running low and is nearly exhausted due to the coronavirus outbreak, leaving the Trump administration and the states to compete for personal protective equipment in a freewheeling global marketplace rife with profiteering and price-gouging, according to Department of Homeland Security officials involved in the frantic acquisition effort.

As coronavirus hot spots flare from coast to coast, the demand for safety equipment — also known as personal protective equipment (PPE) — is both immediate and widespread, with health officials, hospital executives and governors saying that their shortages are critical and that health-care workers are putting their lives at risk while trying to help the surging number of patients.

Two DHS officials said the stores kept in the Department of Health and Human Services’ Strategic National Stockpile are nearly gone.

During Wednesday’s White House briefing, President Trump confirmed the stockpile is nearly depleted, telling reporters his administration has sent supplies “directly to hospitals.”

“The stockpile was designed to respond to a handful of cities. It was never built or designed to fight a 50-state pandemic,” said a DHS official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to speak publicly about the stockpile. “This is not only a U.S. government problem. The supply chain for PPE worldwide has broken down, and there is a lot of price-gouging happening.”

Trump said during Tuesday’s White House briefing that the administration has nearly 10,000 ventilators on reserve and that authorities are ready to deploy the lifesaving equipment rapidly to coronavirus hot spots in coming weeks. He also said large amounts of PPE were being shipped directly from manufacturers to hospitals. But the DHS officials said the stockpile has not been able to handle the load.

Hospitals and states face a real risk of running out of supplies, one of the officials said. “If you can’t protect the people taking care of us, it gets ugly.”

Several reports in recent days have documented a Wild West-style online marketplace for bulk medical supplies dominated by intermediaries and hoarders who are selling N95 respirator masks and other gear at huge markups. Forbes reported that U.S. vendors have sold 280 million masks — mostly into the export market — and that U.S. states and local governments were outbid in the frenzy. The Washington Post and Reuters have reported this week on the stockpile’s dwindling supplies.

So they did a study, found out we were ill-prepared and buried it. We could see the pandemic coming in December and January like a storm brewing on the horizon. Rather than prepare and build up the stockpile, little donny played golf and pretended the problem didn't exist.

Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2020 1:15:49 AM

Report: Pentagon Knew Of Possible Coronavirus Threat For Years

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/05/827692672/report-pentagon-aware-of-possible-coronavirus-threat-for-years

The Pentagon was aware of the likelihood of a pandemic brought on by a novel coronavirus years ago, predicting with startling accuracy shortages of masks, hospital beds and ventilators that could occur in an outbreak, according to a 2017 internal document reported by The Nation.

The 103-page document — which the magazine describes as an update to an earlier Defense Department pandemic influenza response plan — cites a novel respiratory illness as the "most likely and significant threat" in a pandemic situation.

The documents also warns that shortages of masks and ventilators would have a "significant impact on the availability of the global workforce."

"The intelligence community and the military were well aware of what could, and unfortunately, did happen" said Nation reporter Ken Klippenstein in an interview with NPR's All Things Considered.

Klippenstein reports that he obtained the document from a Pentagon official who requested anonymity. Klippenstein says the Pentagon has not responded to his requests for comment on the story.

Klippenstein told All Things Considered that within intelligence circles, a coronavirus has been viewed as a likely threat going back at least five years. And while President Trump has said the current COVID-19 pandemic "came out of nowhere," Klippenstein says it is "inconceivable that the White House did not receive this," referencing information contained in the 2017 Pentagon report.

Klippenstein adds," The threat of a highly transmissible pathogenic virus that targets the respiratory system, this was appreciated for at least the last 10 years."

The "USNORTHCOM Branch Plan 3560: Pandemic Influenza and Infectious Disease Response," as the document is titled, mentions past coronavirus outbreaks, including the MERS outbreak. The document notes that coronvavirus infections are also quite common worldwide.

Though unclassified, the Pentagon plan is an internal document intended to foresee the causes of and potentials hurdles to arise in a pandemic situation. It outlines scenarios that may arise during a global outbreak and options for how the military might respond. Within the document are also references to classified materials that could provide additional support to its conclusions.

The report's conclusions have foreshadowed many of the concerns currently being voiced by both elected officials and medical professionals over hospitals beds and medical equipment.

One section reads: "even the most industrialized countries will have insufficient hospital beds, specialized equipment such as mechanical ventilators, and pharmaceuticals readily available to adequately treat their populations during clinically severe pandemic."
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2020 10:53:07 PM

Read the full report for free.

USNORTHCOM Branch Plan 3560
Pandemic Influenza and Infectious Disease Response
06 January 2017

https://www.scribd.com/document/454422848/Pentagon-Influenza-Response