The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

medecine or computer engineering Options
Tara2
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 6:50:08 AM

Neurons: 8,041
Do you think which is better computer engineering or medecine (doctor)? Please help me I can't decide. I don't have time :(
EllyDinh
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 7:58:03 AM

Neurons: 5
I think that your choice should depend on your goal. Let’s imagine the question: “Who you want to become?” to make the decision. Dancing
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 12:05:51 PM

Neurons: 12,090
I would say which one better matches your skill set and abilities.

I have quite a few friends who are computer programmers and engineers it’s what they enjoy and are good at, sitting in front of the screen is something they can do all day quite happily.
I was messaging with one today asking how he was dealing with self isolation he wrote back saying :
Quote:
Heck I barely notice it! I can work from home no problem

He also has a home gym and has done the 3 Peaks challenge, climb the 3 highest mountains in England, Scotland and Wales in 24hrs so he stays fit.

But he is not a people person, and would not have the bedside manner to deal with many patients that are strangers each day.
You could teach him all the facts needed to be a doctor but not overcome that fundamental personality trait.
Romany
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2020 1:16:30 PM

Neurons: 55,549
While on the Medicine side: I've yet to meet anyone who took up Medicine who hadn't known for years that's what they were going to do. It just isn't the type of thing anyone ever suddenly decides at the last minute!

Unless you honestly feel you want to spend the rest of your life up to your elbows in total strangers blood and guts and fat deposits etc.; always being "on call", telling people that the person they adore has just died...and 8 - 10 years before you start to earn money...? Eight years of sleep deprivation?

To people who don't care about any of that because they want to spend their lives helping people, taking responsibility for another person's life or death, they know it's going to be the toughest time of their lives - and the drop-out stats. are extremely high.They've thought long and hard about it. Those who make it through are the most determined.

But...Think computers?
After we have left Covid 19 behind us there's going to be more and more demand for innovation, new ideas etc. We've been seeing how technology CAN make going in to the office unnecessary and all sorts of new technology is already being worked on all over the world. Coding skills already are in high demand - (and commanding huge salaries!) and demands in all sorts of AI fields are increasing hugely.

Of the two I would personally NOT choose the one where a mistake I made caused someone else to die! Even blowing a whole programme wouldn't effect me the way that decision would tear a person in two! (Well, THIS person anyway. I like my mistakes not to be non-lethal.Dancing )

Navid Iranpour
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2020 11:22:39 AM

Neurons: 71,601
A computer engineer treats computers and a doctor treats humans.The question is which one do you prefer?