mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
medecine or computer engineering Options
Tara2
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 6:48:38 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/8/2017
Posts: 3,886
Neurons: 14,676
Do you think which is better computer engineering or medecine (doctor)?
thar
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 7:43:12 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/8/2010
Posts: 25,449
Neurons: 103,256
To have:
It depends if it is you or your computer that is sick!



To be:
It depends if you like precise logical computers or messy people who do silly things and don't follow your advice.

For your soul:
Whether you think saving the world can be done by the intelligent application of technology to problems, or the compassionate application of medical care to people.



For your wallet:
Depends how you work it.


Tara2
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 8:14:53 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/8/2017
Posts: 3,886
Neurons: 14,676
thar wrote:
To have:
It depends if it is you or your computer that is sick!



To be:
It depends if you like precise logical computers or messy people who do silly things and don't follow your advice.

For your soul:
Whether you think saving the world can be done by the intelligent application of technology to problems, or the compassionate application of medical care to people.



For your wallet:
Depends how you work it.



Woooooow, very impressive. Many thanks, thar.

The excellent advices. But don't you think a doctor's income is much more that a computer engineering, please?
Aren't your courese related to medicine? I think you know many medicine terms
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 8:28:22 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/4/2015
Posts: 6,369
Neurons: 1,382,661
Location: Vinton, Iowa, United States
Here's the thing...
If you want to know "which is better" between two choices, you have to identify the criteria. How are you measuring "better"? Are you concerned with prestige? Income? Stress level (lower = better)? Effort required to acquire such a position, such as years of education? Difficulty in acquiring a position once you are qualified? Visibility in the community? Something else? Without knowing your own criteria for judging the merits of each choice, "better" doesn't mean anything.
Tara2
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 8:35:36 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/8/2017
Posts: 3,886
Neurons: 14,676
Wilmar (USA) 1M wrote:
Here's the thing...
If you want to know "which is better" between two choices, you have to identify the criteria. How are you measuring "better"? Are you concerned with prestige? Income? Stress level (lower = better)? Effort required to acquire such a position, such as years of education? Difficulty in acquiring a position once you are qualified? Visibility in the community? Something else? Without knowing your own criteria for judging the merits of each choice, "better" doesn't mean anything.

Awwwww, Wilmar, many thanks. These all were the things that I liked to say in the first post but I didn't since I couldn't write them in English. The things that are so important for me in order:

1- Income
2- prestige
3- Difficulty in acquiring a position once you are qualified
4- Visibility in the community



thar
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 8:58:26 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/8/2010
Posts: 25,449
Neurons: 103,256
That is why I said it depends how you work it.

Medicine
Work for an NGO in disaster areas and you probably won't make a fortune.
Work as a GP or hospital doctor, and you might get a nice income.
Work as a specialist, teach as a professor and you might make a lot more.
In most countries - work for their national health service and you get a good income. Work in private practice and you might make a lot more.
ie
it depends on whether you want to save lives in a refugee camp or implant fake breasts in women in California.



With computing the ethics might not be so clear but it depends on
what field you work in
whether you work for a company or work for yourself
whether you have such a good idea that the company you start makes lots of patents and lots of money

really, it is up to
- how good you are at it
- how much you want to drive your own business
and
- what you want to look back on as your achievement in life. The good you did or the money you made from all those fake boobs and fat suction. The good you did by designing AI to combat locust plagues, or the money you made by designing the next music sharing appWhistle
Tara2
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 10:33:47 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/8/2017
Posts: 3,886
Neurons: 14,676
thar wrote:
That is why I said it depends how you work it.

Medicine
Work for an NGO in disaster areas and you probably won't make a fortune.
Work as a GP or hospital doctor, and you might get a nice income.
Work as a specialist, teach as a professor and you might make a lot more.
In most countries - work for their national health service and you get a good income. Work in private practice and you might make a lot more.
ie
it depends on whether you want to save lives in a refugee camp or implant fake breasts in women in California.



With computing the ethics might not be so clear but it depends on
what field you work in
whether you work for a company or work for yourself
whether you have such a good idea that the company you start makes lots of patents and lots of money

really, it is up to
- how good you are at it
- how much you want to drive your own business
and
- what you want to look back on as your achievement in life. The good you did or the money you made from all those fake boobs and fat suction. The good you did by designing AI to combat locust plagues, or the money you made by designing the next music sharing appWhistle

I think every doctor can be successful but an engineer should know his work very well and for that I am not good at computer engineering after 4 years studying in university definitely I will not be successful in work. :(
TMe
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 3:20:57 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/12/2017
Posts: 886
Neurons: 5,674
That a doctor is on duty 24X7 should also be taken into consideration.
2) Not all but few doctors get recognition.
3) Not all but few doctors are rich.
4) Not all but few doctors are honest.
5) Not all but few doctors are doctors in fact.
6) Not all but few doctors remember the oath of ethics i.e.the Hippocratic Oath.
NOT ALL BUT FEW DOCTORS EXPERIENCE THE PAIN OF THEIR PATIENTS;


And a Computer Engineer is a CE.????????????????????????????

PS. I am not pessimistic.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 11:18:10 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 16,641
Neurons: 80,265
Some people have a passion for a certain type of work, while others are unclear about what they want to do in life. This, I think, is the first decision to be made. Do you have a particular passion?

If so, follow that. But if not, then you are left to follow whatever you may find that interests you, even if that is not a burning desire, but only mild interest. Some people are very good at one thing, while others may be good at many things if they apply themselves.

In your list of desires, you posted:

1- Income
2- prestige
3- Difficulty in acquiring a position once you are qualified
4- Visibility in the community

Income, prestige, position, and visibility in the community are all related to things, but nowhere in your list is the idea of satisfaction that comes from doing a job well.

In my opinion, it really doesn't matter what someone does, if they can take pride in doing whatever they choose as good as they can. Satisfaction with yourself and with your work is a good measure of success. Without personal satisfaction, wealth, prestige and visibility are paper clothing of little value.

On a personal note, I changed careers several times over my life, learning much with each change. Looking back now, I am glad I had those experiences because I learned so much more than I ever would have had I remained with just one choice. So I suggest you not be too concerned with a particular career. Simply do everything you put your mind to as good as you can, and let the rest take care of itself.
TMe
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2020 11:13:54 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/12/2017
Posts: 886
Neurons: 5,674
HIPPOCRATIC OATH;


I swear by Apollo Physician and Asclepius and Hygieia and Panaceia and all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfil according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant:
To hold him who has taught me this art as equal to my parents and to live my life in partnership with him, and if he is in need of money to give him a share of mine, and to regard his offspring as equal to my brothers in male lineage and to teach them this art - if they desire to learn it - without fee and covenant; to give a share of precepts and oral instruction and all the other learning to my sons and to the sons of him who has instructed me and to pupils who have signed the covenant and have taken an oath according to the medical law, but no one else.
I will apply dietetic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice.
I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.
I will not use the knife, not even on sufferers from stone, but will withdraw in favor of such men as are engaged in this work.
Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief and in particular of sexual relations with both female and male persons, be they free or slaves.
What I may see or hear in the course of the treatment or even outside of the treatment in regard to the life of men, which on no account one must spread abroad, I will keep to myself, holding such things shameful to be spoken about.
If I fulfil this oath and do not violate it, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and art, being honored with fame among all men for all time to come; if I transgress it and swear falsely, may the opposite of all this be my lot.


Go for medicine if you can remember the above promise all through. Optimistically speaking.
Your choice.
efix durov
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2020 2:36:12 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 9/14/2020
Posts: 5
Neurons: 20
Hi guys! I was trying to repeat some algorithms but without much success. Who can help me individually with it?
Louie-Ba
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 8:38:31 AM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 9/23/2020
Posts: 1
Neurons: 5
Location: Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
In my opinion, a person can have the best performance in something that he is naturally interested in and has talent for.
And it is true that every person should be in his place and do his job properly.
If you are interested, you have half the happiness.
SabrinaF
Posted: Monday, October 5, 2020 4:04:24 AM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 10/2/2020
Posts: 10
Neurons: 5
Each profession has a specific value. It's hard to compare which is better. Choose the profession you love most and provide you service to the best you can
basisunus
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2020 2:49:11 PM

Rank: Member

Joined: 8/16/2016
Posts: 99
Neurons: 1,073,466
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Computer Engineering is apparently not about tech support or repairing computers. I knew people in the major and later worked for Intel. They designed microchips, sent designs to fabs, and then tested them in the labs when they were students.
I also know MDs who are experts on computers. They do need to do programming, especially for doctors who also do a lot of research.
Ashwin Vemuri
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 12:42:38 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/14/2020
Posts: 1,613
Neurons: 1,374,378
Location: Hyderābād, Andhra Pradesh, India
Medicine is service to the mankind a lot of money if you are in the right place and no family time (my mother is a top Gynaecologist and I've seen how less time I've spent with her)

Computer Engineering is a vast subject with new dimensions opening up every year or lesser, currently IoT being the frontrunner, so it's exciting, creative and an opportunity to carve a niche out there in that part of the world. Lastly, from India to America, the whole world is a place to be with this subject.

Take advise from everyone, but listen to your heart and go ahead..... all the best...
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.