mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
DJ yells in frustration Options
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2020 2:13:10 PM

Neurons: 14,324

In English-Farsi dictionary 'frustration" and "disappointed" have some similar meanings. Can "disappointed" be used here instead?

(
DJ: Yeah, Mom, I'm coming. I'm coming. October 30th, another tricycle. I'm coming. Mom. Mom, he did it again. He took another tricycle.
Mrs. Walters: Okay, honey, we've talked about this. You cannot stay up in your room all day, staring at an old man through a telescope.
DJ: But, Mom, there's something wrong with that house. I'm serious.
Mrs. Walters: What was that?
DJ: I'm serious.

[DJ yells in frustration that his parents won't take him seriously and lowers his head.]

Monster House
thar
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2020 3:27:30 PM

Neurons: 101,523
You are frustrated if you can't get what you want. But it comes out as anger - raised voice, clenched fists.

You can yell in frustration.

If you don't get what you want and you are disappointed that comes out as sadness - low voice, dropping shoulders.

You can sigh in disappointment.
You don't normally say someone yells in disappointment.

Frustration is where you get angry and your energy level rises. You become tense - at the extreme you pace about, punch a wall, grind your teeth, shout at someone.
Disappointment is when your energy level falls. You go quiet, deflate like a balloon that loses its air - at the extreme you start crying, you sit down, hold your head, maybe curl up into a ball.

Note there are two forms - adjectives about you and passive verbs describing what has happened to you.
An adjective describes you, and your emotional state - frustrated or disappointed.

Verbs - to disappoint, to frustrate.
There is a meaning of having been disappointed - ie something has failed you, let you down. That is what has happened to you (you have been disappointed). That can express itself as frustration or disappointment - ie as anger or sadness/acceptance.
Similarly if something has frustrated your efforts, stopped you doing something, then that has prevented you from succeeding. That is also something that has happened to you, and again your response can be anger or sadness/acceptance.
taurine
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2020 3:57:33 PM

Neurons: 173,545
Another tricycle? Is it something like bicycle but with additional, third wheel?
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2020 4:01:43 PM

thar wrote:
You are frustrated if you can't get what you want. But it comes out as anger - raised voice, clenched fists.

You can yell in frustration.

If you don't get what you want and you are disappointed that comes out as sadness - low voice, dropping shoulders.

You can sigh in disappointment.
You don't normally say someone yells in disappointment.

Frustration is where you get angry and your energy level rises. You become tense - at the extreme you pace about, punch a wall, grind your teeth, shout at someone.
Disappointment is when your energy level falls. You go quiet, deflate like a balloon that loses its air - at the extreme you start crying, you sit down, hold your head, maybe curl up into a ball.

Note there are two forms - adjectives about you and passive verbs describing what has happened to you.
An adjective describes you, and your emotional state - frustrated or disappointed.

Verbs - to disappoint, to frustrate.
There is a meaning of having been disappointed - ie something has failed you, let you down. That is what has happened to you (you have been disappointed). That can express itself as frustration or disappointment - ie as anger or sadness/acceptance.
Similarly if something has frustrated your efforts, stopped you doing something, then that has prevented you from succeeding. That is also something that has happened to you, and again your response can be anger or sadness/acceptance.

I'm very, very impressed. Many, many thanks thar for the excellent explanation.
Sorry thar I don't know how use pictures in this site, how do you do that, please?
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2020 4:02:33 PM

taurine wrote:
Another tricycle? Is it something like bicycle but with additional, third wheel?

Yes, it's for kids with a third wheel.
thar
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2020 4:56:22 PM

Neurons: 101,523
Yes, uni- bi- tri-, quadri- -cycles.
= One- two- three- four- -wheels.
Latin transport! Whistle
Anything more than four wheels is too much without power to move them, I think!

Thanks. Pictures seem to be a good solution to trying to answer a question about English but having to do so in English!

Re images - It has to be an image that is available online, (ie I just use images from a Google search or a web page, but other people upload their own images to an image hosting site and set them as 'public'). Then you can link to them. Just paste the image address and enclose within 'img' tags or using the image icon.
Eg

thar wrote:

[img ]https://workanywherenow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Woman-Frustrated-at-Laptop.jpg[/img]

I have added a space in 'img' tag so it displays the code not the image.
There is an adage - "a picture is worth a thousand words".
Almost always true, but not useful when you want to show the code. Whistle
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2020 5:24:16 PM

thar wrote:
Latin transport! Whistle

Thanks. Pictures seem to be a good solution to trying to answer a question about English but having to do so in English!

Re images - It has to be an image that is available online, (ie I just use images from a Google search or a web page, but other people upload their own images to an image hosting site and set them as 'public'). Then you can link to them. Just paste the image address and enclose within 'img' tags or using the image icon.
Eg

thar wrote:

[img ]https://workanywherenow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Woman-Frustrated-at-Laptop.jpg[/img]

taurine
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2020 5:26:02 PM

Tara2 wrote:
taurine wrote:

I still do not understand. An old man took another tricycle? Has DJ been noting them on his/her calendar? Strange.
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2020 5:39:26 PM

taurine wrote:
Tara2 wrote:
taurine wrote:

I still do not understand. An old man took another tricycle? Has DJ been noting them on his/her calendar? Strange.

He take tricycle from the kids that go into his lawn. And DJ always watch him and is afraid of this man who live across the street.
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2020 5:41:31 PM

thar wrote:
Latin transport! Whistle

Eg

thar wrote:

I learned how to do that. Many thanks thar. You are excellent in every thing. Applause Applause Applause
taurine
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2020 5:58:43 PM

Tara2 wrote:
taurine wrote:
Tara2 wrote:
taurine wrote:

He take tricycle from the kids that go into his lawn. And DJ always watch him and is afraid of this man who live across the street.

He must be ugly monster.
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2020 6:20:24 PM

taurine wrote:
Tara2 wrote:
taurine wrote:
Tara2 wrote:
taurine wrote:

He must be ugly monster.

Angel Angel Angel Yes. I've just seen several minutes of that film still Angel
srirr
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2020 5:54:04 AM

Neurons: 484,353
Tara2 wrote:

He takes tricycle from the kids that who go into to his lawn. And DJ always watches him and is afraid of this that man who lives across the street.

Taurine, a tricycle looks like this.

Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2020 8:48:53 AM

Neurons: 1,358,720
one more...

The man who lives across the street takes tricycles from the kids who go onto his lawn. DJ always watches him and is afraid of him.
Tara2
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2020 9:09:22 AM

Many thanks to you both for your excellent correction!!!
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2020 11:25:53 AM

Neurons: 18,072
srirr wrote:
Tara2 wrote:

He takes tricycle from the kids that who go into to his lawn. And DJ always watches him and is afraid of this that man who lives across the street.

The devils devices I broke my arm falling from one.
You can also get recumbent tricycles for adults.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQPxP06k5iA

A friend of mine rides one with a flag on a pole so he is visible in traffic.

The man in the house in the film, well all is not as it seems.

Tara2
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2020 1:27:09 PM

Sarrriesfan wrote:
srirr wrote:
Tara2 wrote:

The devils devices I broke my arm falling from one.
You can also get recumbent tricycles for adults.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQPxP06k5iA

A friend of mine rides one with a flag on a pole so he is visible in traffic.

The man in the house in the film, well all is not as it seems.

Interesting. Many thanks Sarrriesfan.