The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Jonas Jonasson any fans? Options
L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 12:14:36 AM

Neurons: 1,619,338
I returned to China 3 weeks ago and had to do a self-quarantine, not sure why but it was required. Trust me I did not come from anywhere the virus had taken hold, nor was I exposed but its the rules. Given that I had time on my hands I decided to read the book I had picked up while in the airport, from author Jonas Jonasson.

I had read his first two books, The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" and "The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden." I found both to be good fun. His latest book, "Hitman Anders and the Meaning of It All" was also a fun diversion. I think his style is rather quirky and makes for lighthearted joyful reading.

I was wondering if anyone else has read his books and what you thought of them. BTW, the movie of his first book was okay, but the book was so much better.

Oh in case anyone cares, no I don't have the virus, yes I chose to return to China, and NO I am not afraid I will get sick. I am sick however of being on lock-down and just wish we could all get back to "normal" which will never again be "normal"...just saying

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2020 6:17:50 AM

Neurons: 219,324
Good to hear you're doing OK.

I've never heard of this author (nor the movie), though I DO like his book's titles. "Hitman Anders and the Meaning of it All" sounds like it could match up to "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency".

PS - the odds on catching the virus appear currently to be in the range of 1:100,000 - and almost 40% of those confirmed have already recovered.
hedy mmm
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2020 2:30:12 PM

Neurons: 699,758
L.Rai wrote:
I returned to China 3 weeks ago and had to do a self-quarantine, not sure why but it was required. Trust me I did not come from anywhere the virus had taken hold, nor was I exposed but its the rules. Given that I had time on my hands I decided to read the book I had picked up while in the airport, from author Jonas Jonasson.

I had read his first two books, ”The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" and "The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden." I found both to be good fun. His latest book, "Hitman Anders and the Meaning of It All" was also a fun diversion. I think his style is rather quirky and makes for lighthearted joyful reading.

I was wondering if anyone else has read his books and what you thought of them. BTW, the movie of his first book was okay, but the book was so much better.

Oh in case anyone cares, no I don't have the virus, yes I chose to return to China, and NO I am not afraid I will get sick. I am sick however of being on lock-down and just wish we could all get back to "normal" which will never again be "normal"...just saying

DragOnspeaker wrote:
Good to hear you're doing OK.

I've never heard of this author (nor the movie), though I DO like his book's titles. "Hitman Anders and the Meaning of it All" sounds like it could match up to "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency".

PS - the odds on catching the virus appear currently to be in the range of 1:100,000 - and almost 40% of those confirmed have already recovered.

—-
Hi L.Rai,
Glad you don’t have virus, that you did return ...and like you, ”I am not afraid I will get sick”...so it was a smart move, picking up a great book...Sadly you had to be quarantined for 3 weeks! Yikes! Just want you to know I do care my friend!

Yes, I read ”The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared” in 2013. When I first was acquainted with this author, I got a kick that he had studied Swedish & Spanish, was a journalist, wrote his 1st book at 46 in 2007, it was translated in over 35 languages and sold more than 100 million copies in Germany and over 3.5 million world wide. So he had to be good! I’m an avid reader, (especially books w/over 350 pgs.) and you’re right, the movie versions are never as good as the book. I’m sure you’ll read the rest of his books...it’s better than the ‘boob tube’...

Hi DragOnspeaker, A Million Thanks, as I’ve said before, you are the real deal.. we are ”oldies but goodies”. (I can say that because I know I’m a bit older than you...hahaha)
What the ’young-in‘s’ don’t know is, we have wisdom, and we’re not into foolishness...don’t let anyone tell you different!

I concur that the odds of getting this strain are infinitesimal...but between fake news, the boob tube & the pharmaceutical companies scaring the cr_p out of people...no telling how far this scare will go...and there is no way I would get ANY Flu shots....(did anybody notice where they come from)...

To avid readers, especially you guys, may I recommend Herman Wouk’s book’s “The Winds of War”, its sequel “War and Remembrance”, (1046 & 896 pages respectively), for starters, but he’s got many more...sadly, he died last year, he would’ve been 104 yrs old, ten days later (32 yrs older than me!)...his legacy will live on...

hedy mmm