The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

E-Cigarettes Options
MarcusP40
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 7:32:37 AM

Neurons: 14,574
What are your thoughts on E-cigarettes as a smoking cessation aid?
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 9:24:00 AM

Neurons: 86,166
MarcusP40 welcome to TFDforum.
You have started a good thread (Topic).

E-cigarettes create vapor made of fine and ultrafine particles of particulate matter, which have been found to contain propylene glycol, glycerin, nicotine, flavors, small amounts of toxicants, carcinogens, and heavy metals, as well as metal nanoparticles, and other substances. Its exact composition varies across and within manufacturers, and depends on the contents of the liquid, the physical and electrical design of the device, and user behavior, among other factors. E-cigarette vapor potentially contains harmful chemicals not found in tobacco smoke. E-cigarette vapor contains fewer toxic chemicals and lower concentrations of potentially toxic chemicals than cigarette smoke. The vapor is probably much less harmful to users and bystanders than cigarette smoke,[41] although concern exists that the exhaled vapor may be inhaled by non-users, particularly indoors.Wikipedia
MarcusP40
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 7:30:16 AM

A randomized trial of E-cigarettes versus nicotine replacement therapy was published in February 2019 in the NEJM concluded that 'E-cigarettes were more effective for smoking cessation than nicotine-replacement therapy, when both products were accompanied by behavioral support.' This study was completed in the UK.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 1:58:04 PM

Neurons: 66,304
I smoked for 50 years and tried to quit using patches, nicotine gum, Wellbutrin, cold-turkey, and E-cigarettes. None of them worked for me.

I think the E-cigs do too much to reinforce the habit of carrying around the E-cig, the oral fixation and the psychological patterns of addiction - the tactile touch of fingers and lips, inhaling, the sight of the vapor/smoke, etc.

What finally worked for me was Chantix. It cost me almost a month's worth of cigarettes, but was worth every penny. You can continue to smoke while taking the pills, until such time as you no longer want to smoke. For me, that took about one or two weeks. I looked at the cigarette I had just lit, and wondered why I was smoking it. I was getting nothing out of it.

I put them down and have not smoked a single one since, nor have I missed them, but for a few fleeting seconds when I see someone in a movie smoking. But it lasts only a fraction of a second. I recommend this method.
MarcusP40
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 9:41:51 PM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. Your story is inspiring as a lot of people struggle to quit. However, I must add that Varenicline (Chantix or Champix) is not for everyone. It can cause vivid dreams and nightmares and may worsen anxiety and depression in susceptible people.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:51:16 AM

Neurons: 66,304
MarcusP40 wrote:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. Your story is inspiring as a lot of people struggle to quit. However, I must add that Varenicline (Chantix or Champix) is not for everyone. It can cause vivid dreams and nightmares and may worsen anxiety and depression in susceptible people.

I have heard this reported about some people, and it is quite true that what works for one won't necessarily work for all.

It is for this reason the person who wants to quit needs to see a doctor and be evaluated before a prescription for the drug is given.

I should have mentioned that in my post. Thanks for pointing this out for anyone thinking of trying it.
MarcusP40
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:30:06 PM

Yes, absolutely. What works for one might not work for another. Varenicline continues to help a lot of people quit smoking, however, it can be very harmful to others. In 2009, American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reported that Varenicline might lead to serious neuropsychiatric findings. It was emphasized that Varenicline might lead to exacerbation in patients with a history of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder.