The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Am I right about the explanations to these sentences? (and 2) Options
DavidLearn
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 2:44:00 AM

Neurons: 25,058
Hi teachers,
Am I right about the explanations to this sentences? If so, which one is better in each one: "a" or "b"?

4. Mary has known Peter for seven years.
a) What is important to understand is that the sentence tells us how long Mary has known Peter till now and that she will probably continue to know him in the future.
b) What is important to understand is that the sentence tells us how long they have known each other till now. (State of being)

5. He has been very busy since he started to work there in 2016.
a) What is important to understand is that the sentence tells us how long he has been very busy till now and that he will probably continue to be busy in the future.
b) What is important to understand is that the sentence tells us how long he has been very busy till now. (State of being)

6. They have had their house since 1998.
a) What is important to understand is that the sentence tells us how long they have had their house till now and that they will probably continue to have it in the future.
b) What is important to understand is that the sentence tells us how long they have had their house till now. (State of possession)

Thanks.
thar
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 3:27:51 AM

Neurons: 87,554
DavidLearn wrote:
Hi teachers,
Am I right about the explanations to this sentences? If so, which one is better in each one: "a" or "b"?

4. Mary has known Peter for seven years.
a) What is important to understand is that the sentence tells us how long Mary has known Peter till now and that she will probably continue to know him in the future.
The tense doesn't imply continuity, but the meaning does - knowing someone doesn't end suddenly. Unless they die, I guess.
b) What is important to understand is that the sentence tells us how long they have known each other till now. (State of being)
This is also dependent on the verb - to know someone is a static verb - once you get to know them, then your state is that you know them. (Is you would never use the progressive 'I am knowing' because the verb is inherently continuous.)

5. He has been very busy since he started to work there in 2016.
a) What is important to understand is that the sentence tells us how long he has been very busy till now and that he will probably continue to be busy in the future.
Again, this has no implicit assumption it will continue.
If you wanted to say that explicitly, you would use the present progressive.
He is very busy right now, and he has been ever since he started work here in 2010.

b) What is important to understand is that the sentence tells us how long he has been very busy till now. (State of being)

This is the verb 'to be', which is inherently continuous.
I am not sure what you are trying to show here.
These explanations are more about the nature of the verb than anything to do with the tense.
The tense just gives the period of that verb action - X till now.

Whether that is simple or progressive depends on the verb.

6. They have had their house since 1998.
a) What is important to understand is that the sentence tells us how long they have had their house till now and that they will probably continue to have it in the future.
b) What is important to understand is that the sentence tells us how long they have had their house till now. (State of possession)

Thanks.
DavidLearn
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 4:11:31 AM

Neurons: 25,058
Hi thar,
After your concise explanations, I do understand them a lot better. I appreciate it.

David.