The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Am I right about the explanations to these sentences? Options
DavidLearn
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 2:27:48 AM

Neurons: 25,563
Hi teachers,
Am I right about the explanations to this sentences?

1. He has worked in this building for seven years.
What is important to understand is that the sentence tells us how long he has worked in that building till now and that he will probably continue to work there in the future.

2. I have eaten lunch at exactly noon for six months.
What is important to understand is that the sentence tells us how long he has had lunch at noon till now and that he will probably continue to have it at noon in the future.

3. She has lived in New York since 2010.
What is important to understand is that the sentence tells us how long she has lived in New York till now and that she will probably continue to live there in the future.

Thanks.
thar
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 2:51:56 AM

Neurons: 89,119
These give a start point and the fact the action has continued to the present.

However whether it continues or stops now is completely dependent on context. There is no assumption at all that it will continue except any given by the context.

He has worked here for seven years, so he is the person to ask if you need help.
He has worked here for seven years, but now it is time to say goodbye as he moves on.

I have had lunch at precisely noon for six months. I see no reason to stop now just because they are changing the time of our lunch break.
I have had lunch at precisely noon for the last six months. It will feel strange to be eating at two.
DavidLearn
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 2:57:59 AM

Neurons: 25,563
thar wrote:
These give a start point and the fact the action has continued to the present.

However whether it continues or stops now is completely dependent on context. There is no assumption at all that it will continue except any given by the context.

He has worked here for seven years, so he is the person to ask if you need help.
He has worked here for seven years, but now it is time to say goodbye as he moves on.

I have had lunch at precisely noon for six months. I see no reason to stop now just because they are changing the time of our lunch break.
I have had lunch at precisely noon for the last six months. It will feel strange to be eating at two.

Hi thar,
Thanks a lot for your explanation. Crystal clear.

David.