The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

a part of a journal (II) Options
zhonglc2020
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 3:03:20 AM

Neurons: 2,540
Hello teachers,

Again,this part comes from the journal of a man's wanderings.
I've put it into English. Can the following tell you something?
Please feel free correct me where I am wrong.

Many thanks in advance.

You never know how high the Great Mount Tai is if you haven't climbed it, and that's also the reason why it leaves me feeling regretful, for I didn't carry enough food with me to sustain my lingering there for a few more days. On my way back from the abortive climbing, I saw many yellowish persimmons on the trees. I couldn't prevent myself from being tempted and, while still on horseback, picked some to eat. I put it to my mouth too quickly to chew for the locals to quit me. Pitifully, it was only too bitter for me to spit it out more quickly. I couldn't utter a word clearly before I jumped off the horse and found some spring water to rinse my mouth. The locals laughed merrily. I didn't know the persimmons here need to be scalded a while in order to drive out its harsh taste.

At the beginning of October, Zhuotang, the administrative commissioner of Shandong Province, sent his man to pick up his family and I followed them into Shandong, by way of Henan Province after we were first out of Tong pass. Then we arrived in Jinan City.

In the east of the city, there is a lake. It is called Daming Lake, which boasts Lixia Pavilion, Shuixiang Pavilion and many other beautiful scenic sights. In summer, nothing would be so joyous than to enjoy the lotus fragrance pervasive in the air while sitting under the shade of trees, or than to go boating with friends, drinking on the lake. However, now we are visiting the lake on a winter day, before our eyes is no more than a broad stretch of cold water, with the vapor rising. Everything is misty, including the pallid willow trees scattering around the lake.

(Special Thanks To All the Native teachers who helped me with my last piece.)

FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 11:25:31 AM

Neurons: 66,996
zhonglc2020 wrote:
Hello teachers,

Again,this part comes from the journal of a man's wanderings.
I've put it into English. Can the following tell you something?
Please feel free correct me where I am wrong.

Many thanks in advance.
My suggestions.

You'll never know how high the Great Mount Tai is if you haven't climbed it, and that's also the reason why it leaves me feeling regretful, for I didn't carry enough food with me to sustain my lingering there for more than a few days. On my way back from the abortive climbing, I saw many yellowish persimmons on the trees. I couldn't prevent myself from being tempted and, while still on horseback, picked some to eat. I put one to my mouth before the locals could stop me. Pitifully, it was so bitter I couldn't spit it quickly enough, and couldn't speak until I found some spring water to rinse my mouth. The locals laughed merrily. I didn't know the persimmons here needed to be scalded a while in order to drive out their harsh taste.

At the beginning of October, Zhuotang, the administrative commissioner of Shandong Province, sent his man to pick up his family, and I followed them into Shandong, by way of Henan Province, after we were first out of Tong pass. Then we arrived in Jinan City.

On the east side of the city, there is a lake. It is called Daming Lake, which boasts Lixia Pavilion, Shuixiang Pavilion and many other beautiful scenic sights. In the summer months, nothing would be more enjoyable than the scent of lotus fragrance that is pervasive in the air while sitting under the shade of the trees, or to go boating with friends, and drinking on the lake. However, we are now visiting the lake on a winter day, and before our eyes lies no more than a broad stretch of cold water, with vapor rising. Everything is misty, including the pallid willow trees scattered around the lake.

(Special Thanks To All the Native teachers who helped me with my last piece.)

zhonglc2020
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 11:43:26 PM

Neurons: 2,540
Thank you,FounDit.
I've studied the modified parts carefully. It's really helpful.Dancing