The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The 22,000-year picture Options
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, January 3, 2020 3:41:48 PM

Neurons: 219,930
I put this is "Knowledge and Culture" rather than "Science" because I haven't checked the source data - it may not be science.

I put it in "Knowledge and Culture" rather than "Politics" because it's for interest.

Please - if you have any political-type opinions on global warming (pro- or con-), start a topic in "Politics", using the picture (after fact-checking it). Ta!

Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Friday, January 3, 2020 7:20:31 PM

Neurons: 1,069,489
Funny.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 10:06:21 PM

Neurons: 1,323,879
Quote:
"Washington State is scoured by huge floods as glacial dams burst and lakes of meltwater flow to the sea."

See the Nova episode from PBS titled "The Mystery of the Megaflood." It discusses Glacial Lake Missoula and how the collapse of the ice dam left scars on the landscape that we can still see today, e.g., the Badlands, Potholes State Park, Columbia Gorge, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-Mystery-Megaflood/dp/B000BKDO0C/
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 10:14:35 PM

Neurons: 1,323,879
Quote:
"Humans reach North America."

Some of the oldest human remains in North America were found in an underwater cave in Mexico and date back 13,000 years.

https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-First-Face-America-DVD/dp/B0794Y2D6T/
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2020 10:13:25 AM

Neurons: 65,653
It's good that you say " it may not be science", because it isn't. The chart "assumes" a 29-year time range (1961-1990) as the 0c "perfect temperature" for the Earth.

In point of fact, no one knows what the perfect temperature for the Earth should be. It may well be that where we are now is the "perfect temperature". We can't know until we have lived in it, perhaps for as long as a hundred years, or a couple of thousand years. No one knows yet.

It would have been a more accurate representation if it didn't have the artificial temperatures at the top of it.
neapolitandem
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 12:24:52 AM

Neurons: 20,212
Stars are not flat.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 12:35:50 AM

Neurons: 86,015
Very informative.
Articulate Dreamer
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 2:38:48 AM

Neurons: 94,151
At the least it is a brave and enterprising attempt.
At worst it isn't completely scientific, but not totally devoid of science either.
I'd give it a thumbs up!

Applause Applause

Romany
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 7:44:29 AM

Neurons: 54,752

One of the positive effects of the global lockdown is that data-bases from all the main universitites, institutions, scientific associations etc. have now been made available to all.

So the great thing is that now, for however short or long this period of access lasts, one is free to access the hard science behind the time-lines which have been presented above as a general sort of guide to those who don't/haven't studied Science!! Now everyone can further explore the science behind it to their heart's content. (At the moment I'm fascinated by the access to space exploration sites and the breathtaking graphics and images thus produced: Space is like a Modern Art Gallery - while I'd always considered it as all dark and vast and forbidding!)
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 5:06:20 AM

Neurons: 166,011
Romany wrote:

One of the positive effects of the global lockdown is that data-bases from all the main universitites, institutions, scientific associations etc. have now been made available to all.

Thanks Rom for this statement as a result of trying to find references to what you meant I discovered the Open Science Project, still looking into that. I was curious though if you have more information about what you're referring to?

I had recently discovered this source and have been meaning to post about it. Elsevier

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2020 10:05:24 AM

Neurons: 52,508
Thanks, Rom and Drago.

Elsevier is where the Lancet journal articles come to me by email as they are published. The articles are really for doctors but I became a member through one of the university online courses I was taking. Not sure how you join otherwise, but you could try researching the title. Some articles are free, some are free if you sign in, and others you have to pay for them.

I do skim through some of the articles pertaining to areas of my interest.

I put the two links you provided, Drago, on my “reading list” where I keep everything I may want to use as a resource in the future.

Edited : The Lancet website is under repair today and the registration feature is gone. It seems it will be open to everyone? https://www.thelancet.com/

Covid19 articles are not affected.

https://www.journals.elsevier.com/the-lancet/