mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Members page Options
Mike-KS
Posted: Friday, January 3, 2020 3:10:54 PM

Hello, all,

I have a question for our Forum users. In the top right corner on any Forum page there's a link "Members". Are you using this page? If so, how often / for what purpose?

We are considering changes on Forum and want to know your experience.

Mike.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2020 2:33:52 AM

Neurons: 228,390
Hi Mike.

Thanks for asking.

I use it very occasionally to check on, or send messages to, some "old-timers" who haven't posted anything in a long time - so their link does not appear in any of the latest forum-pages. Some of them DO visit and read (but not post).

It's not that easy to navigate - I looked for Tootsie, who hasn't posted anything for two years.
After going to the "T"s, as she's an "Advanced Member", I sorted by rank and found her on the first page. However, if it had been a "member" or "Newbie" that I was looking for it would not have been so easy.

(As a note - you still have Michal Goldman - GoldmanM - as an Admin.)

All the best for the New Year!
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2020 12:11:13 PM

Neurons: 629,095
I seldom use the 'Members' page, but I did recently looking for 'Hope 123', then 'Hope 1' then 'Hope 2' who hadn't posted for a while. I was informed that there is no such member - so why not delete these redundant names?
Mike-KS
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 10:48:45 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hi Mike.
It's not that easy to navigate - I looked for Tootsie, who hasn't posted anything for two years.
After going to the "T"s, as she's an "Advanced Member", I sorted by rank and found her on the first page. However, if it had been a "member" or "Newbie" that I was looking for it would not have been so easy.

Dear Drag0nspeaker,

If you know the name of the person, you can go to "Forum search" instead and use "Posted by" mode to find his posts. Then you can click on his name and get to his profile page.
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 11:10:29 AM

Neurons: 68,937
I have used it on occasion, but so rarely that I cannot now recall why I did so. But I haven't used it for a couple of years now. I use the search more often when I am trying to recall some topic, or post I want to find - but that's rather hit and miss, usually.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 1:54:18 AM

Neurons: 228,390
Mike-KS wrote:
Dear Drag0nspeaker,
If you know the name of the person, you can go to "Forum search" instead and use "Posted by" mode to find his posts. Then you can click on his name and get to his profile page.

Good thought! Thanks.

FounDit wrote:
I have used it on occasion, but so rarely that I cannot now recall why I did so. But I haven't used it for a couple of years now. I use the search more often when I am trying to recall some topic, or post I want to find - but that's rather hit and miss, usually.

That is a point for the developers.
The search facility is not very "user-friendly". Finding old posts is often more miss than hit.
Magnus v G
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 1:10:17 AM

Neurons: 505,953
Hello and thank you for asking!

I've only used the 'Members' section a few times but I think I would use it occasionally if the link was more prominently designed and placed. It looks like a neat thing.
lazarius
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 8:18:53 AM

Neurons: 1,040,717
Mike-KS wrote:
Forum page there's a link "Members". Are you using this page? If so, how often / for what purpose?

Rarely. Only to find the main profile of a person I've played with on spelling-bee.com. For example there's the player madizzy. Using the Members link one can find this profile:

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/profile1362367.aspx

And from there the main profile:

http://secure.thefreedictionary.com/user/madissy

If there were a link to the profile of a player on spelling-bee.com I wouldn't have used it.

Not every TFD profile has a corresponding forum profile so sometimes it's just a waste of time.

-
Audiendus
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 9:39:44 AM

Neurons: 1,284,316
I sometimes look at the Members page to see the post counts. It is interesting to see which members have been most active, and my position in the list.
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:12:42 PM

Neurons: 1,233,563
I've tried using it several times, and remember having a very difficult time with it. Paging, paging, paging, paging, trying to find what you're looking for. Needs work -- definitely a usability nightmare.