The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

DID YOU KNOW? #8 - Natural Antibiotics Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2020 2:29:33 PM

Neurons: 699,768
DID YOU KNOW? #8 Natural Antibiotics

Happy New Year TFDers, especially those like me who are a “Bit-Older” (I’m 72 yrs young), But even for the real “young-in’s” approaching their 60’s...2020 could begin a reversal in aging...Enjoy!
Dancing

The science behind seven natural antibiotics:
1. Garlic. Cultures across the world have long recognized garlic for its preventive and curative powers. Research has found that garlic can be an effective treatment against many forms of bacteria, including Salmonella and Escherichia coli (E. coli). Garlic has even been considered for use against multi-drug resistant tuberculosis. Excellent for the prevention of asthma and other bronchial and sinus maladies.

2. Honey. Since the time of Aristotle, honey has been used as an ointment that helps wounds to heal and prevents or draws out infection. Healthcare professionals today have found it helpful in treating chronic wounds, burns, ulcers, bedsores, and skin grafts. For example, results of a study from 2016 demonstrate that honey dressings can help to heal wounds The antibacterial effects of honey are usually attributed to its hydrogen peroxide content. However, manuka honey fights off bacteria, though it has a lower hydrogen peroxide content. A 2011 study reported that the best-known type of honey inhibits approximately 60 kinds of bacteria. It also suggests that honey successfully treats wounds infected with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Antibacterial properties aside, honey may help wounds to heal by providing a protective coating that fosters a moist environment.

3. Ginger. The scientific community also recognizes ginger as a natural antibiotic. Several studies, including one published in 2017, have demonstrated ginger's ability to fight many strains of bacteria. Researchers are also exploring ginger's power to combat seasickness and nausea and to lower blood sugar levels.

4. Echinacea. Native American and other traditional healers have used echinacea for hundreds of years to treat infections and wounds. Researchers are beginning to understand why. A study published in the Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology reports that extract of Echinacea purpurea can kill many different kinds of bacteria, including Streptococcus pyogenes (S. pyogenes). S. pyogenes is responsible for strep throat, toxic shock syndrome, and the "flesh-eating disease" known as necrotizing fasciitis. Echinacea may also fight inflammation associated with bacterial infection. It is available to purchase in health stores or online.

5. Goldenseal. Goldenseal is usually consumed in tea or capsules to treat respiratory and digestive problems. However, it may also combat bacterial diarrhea and urinary tract infections. In addition, results of a recent study support the use of goldenseal to treat skin infections. In a lab, goldenseal extracts were used to prevent MRSA from damaging tissue. A person taking prescription medications should check with a doctor before taking goldenseal, as this supplement can cause interference. Goldenseal also contains berberine, an important component of natural antibiotics. This alkaloid is not safe for infants, or women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. Goldenseal capsules are available to purchase in health stores or online.

6. Clove. Clove has traditionally been used in dental procedures. Research is now finding that clove water extract may be effective against many different kinds of bacteria, including E. coli.

7. Oregano. Some believe that oregano boosts the immune system and acts as an antioxidant. It may have anti-inflammatory properties. While researchers have yet to verify these claims, some studies show that oregano is among the more effective natural antibiotics, particularly when it is made it into an oil.

The Use of Antibiotic Drug Prescriptions
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), each year more than 2 million Americans become unwell from drug-resistant bacteria, resulting in 23,000 annual deaths. These bacteria constitute a growing threat, and the key to developing new and effective medications may lie in treatments of the past — natural antibiotics.

While natural antibiotics may present opportunities, they also carry risks. Still, research into these treatments is growing, and an increasing number of substances are being tested. Natural antibiotics traditionally used for centuries may contribute to the lifesaving drugs of tomorrow.

DISCLAIMER: Throughout my TFD Health Series, researched information is not a prescription for what ails you. So before you attempt to treat yourself do your own due diligence, consult the appropriate professionals and use common sense. Plant medicine is not one-size-fits-all. Herbs do heal, but each person’s health situation is unique, and some therapeutic plants, vitamins or other natural 'remedies' may have unanticipated and unintended consequences, especially when used in combination with prescription drug therapies. I am telling you this for your own good. Be careful. Be very careful...I am not an MD. Please don't kill the messenger.

I wanted to share my research with my TFDers...BTW I have not had any kind of cold/virus/infection since 2010 and I’ve never had (or will have) the flu shot!

Be blessed...
hedy mmm
taurine
Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2020 2:51:16 PM

Neurons: 155,554
I did not know.
I think that, most of the spice on your list, hedy_mmm should be prepared properly. This means they should, at first, be put on a hot oil.
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2020 3:47:07 PM

taurine wrote:
I did not know.
I think that, most of the spice on your list, hedy_mmm should be prepared properly. This means they should, at first, be put on a hot oil.

——————-
Double YIKES! Nooooooooooooo.........d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

None should EVER be in hot oil!....Shame on you
Perhaps
In hot water for Tea: Ginger, Echinacea, Goldenseal, even clove or garlic
In foods or raw: Garlic, oregano, ginger, honey
As is: Honey, garlic, cloves
Garlic can be sliced, chopped or mashed and sautéed in olive oil ...delish

I will continue the study ...separately for each item...how to cook it, eat it, and get their full benefit...

I don’t like sugary stuff (I prefer salty, yet my blood pressure is alway normal) and I don’t like the taste of honey but I do like the honeycomb and I order it and I get it sent...from PA “Herman’s Honeycomb” (check out his video)...his honey is all natural and untouched by human hands...my 15 yr old grandson likes to take a fork full and eat it ..it has all the properties of honey: bee propolis, bee pollen, royal jelly, honey, even the wax, which is like gum, but this ‘gum’ you swallow ...it has all compounds produced by honey bees...God’s Perfect food!

But it’s almost 4pm in NY, and I have to start cooking...sorry! d'oh!

Taurine, I promise to address this thread...I’m sure it’s news to a lot more...you are not alone!

I’ll be back!
hedy
Dancing

narkom12
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 7:06:26 AM

Neurons: 1,205
Which of these natural antibiotics occurs naturally in the USA?
hedy mmm
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 7:36:31 PM

narkom12 wrote:
Which of these antibiotics occur naturally in the USA?

———

Hi my friend narkom12, Dancing

Sorry to correct your question, however, the word ‘occur’ is not the correct usage... I think you meant, which are indigenous, imported or cultivated in the USA? So assuming that is what you meant, I’ve listed two NA below about each, because your inquiring was here where I posted the thread. I will thread the continuation in “Knowledge and Culture” section, DID YOU KNOW? #9 Natural Antibiotics cont. in a day or two...I’m in the middle of a BIG work project and can’t bow out!

Ginger:
Botanical name: Zingiber officinale

Native origin: Southeast Asia
Ginger is a tall, reedy, tropical plant that grows up to 4 feet tall, with small red and yellow flowers. The antler-like, edible portion of ginger is referred to as a “root,” but in fact is a fleshy underground storage stem known as a rhizome. Ginger is loved and used widely around the world for the spicy, peppery bite and intense flavor it adds to cuisine. Ginger is famed for its ability to tame motion sickness, ease unhappy stomachs and soothe digestive upset*.
Did you know? Ginger is one of nature’s unsolved mysteries. Unlike nearly all other plants species, which appear in the wild, ginger is 100% cultivated on farms. Its country of origin cannot be verified (although the biological variability of ginger plants in Southeast Asia makes that its likely home).

Echinacea:
Botanical name: Echinacea purpurea and Echinacea angustifolia

Native origin: North America

Part used: Flower, leaves, and root
Echinacea, or purple coneflower, is a drought-tolerant perennial herb that grows a 2 to 5 foot stem, topped with a single daisy-like purple flower. The center of the flower is large, spiny, cone-shaped, giving echinacea its distinctive look. This look helped earn echinacea its name, derived from the Greek word ekhinos, meaning spiny, prickly, hedgehog or sea urchin.

Garlic:[i] (will soon have its own thread)[/i] I’ll let you know, however it’s grown everywhere in the USA, as well as imported. I’ll tackle Honey, Goldenseal, Clove, and Oregano in my other series. And yes, we have them here too! Ginger is largely imported from India as well as cloves. Orégano from Chile & Peru. Poland, Sweden and China also import some of the herbs or foods that ae natural antibodies ...we’re not alone!

Check out this website:
traditionalmedicinals.com
another good source is: contact@thespruce.com

hedy mmm
Have a blessed weekend!Dancing

Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 10:26:56 PM

Neurons: 1,319,235
Oregano oil is actually not an antibiotic. It's a bateriostatic. That is, it inhibits the growth of bacteria but does not kill them. This encourages the survival of the more virulent bacterial strains over the weaker strains. Once you stop taking the oregano oil the infection can come back worse than before. If you have an obvious infection, then get some pharmaceutical antibiotics and take some probiotics separated by a couple of hours. The probiotics help prevent the development of C. diff. infections.