The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

have a posset for't soon at night Options
zhonglc2020
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2019 12:27:48 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/7/2019
Posts: 201
Neurons: 2,470
Hello everyone,


MISTRESS QUICKLY
Go; and we'll have a posset for't soon at night, in faith, at the latter end of a sea-coal fire.

source:The Merry Wives of Windsor
SCENE IV. A room in DOCTOR CAIUS' house.

What does "for't" mean here?
Could I say "(on)this night" instead of "at night"?
Why it is "sea-coal" instead of "coal"?


Many many thanks.
thar
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2019 12:36:53 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/8/2010
Posts: 21,990
Neurons: 89,157
1 I guess so


2 Sea-coal is good quality coal.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2019 12:43:29 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 13,732
Neurons: 65,610
zhonglc2020 wrote:
Hello everyone,


MISTRESS QUICKLY
Go; and we'll have a posset for't soon at night, in faith, at the latter end of a sea-coal fire.

source:The Merry Wives of Windsor
SCENE IV. A room in DOCTOR CAIUS' house.

What does "for't" mean here?
Could I say "(on)this night" instead of "at night"?
Why it is "sea-coal" instead of "coal"?


Many many thanks.


for't appears to be a contracted way of writing "for it" when it is said very quickly. "Well have a posset (a drink) for it soon at night..."

In that case, it would sound like "fort", but is two words. This is called writing in the vernacular, or the way people speak, especially if they have an accent.
zhonglc2020
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2019 1:07:02 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/7/2019
Posts: 201
Neurons: 2,470
Thank you vey much, thar and FounDit.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2019 4:19:29 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/30/2016
Posts: 1,810
Neurons: 11,618
Location: Luton, England, United Kingdom
thar wrote:
1 I guess so


2 Sea-coal is good quality coal.


There is another meaning for sea-coal in Britain, in some areas such as Northumberland where coal outcrops at the surface in coastal cliffs people would collect the coal that was founded eroded on the beach to use as fuel. This meant they had coal in pre-industrial times without dangerous mining.
Much of that coal is quite good quality bituminous coal if a little high in ash and sulphur but back then they did not know about such things, so I wonder if the term transferred across.
thar
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2019 5:57:13 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/8/2010
Posts: 21,990
Neurons: 89,157
Yes, that was my first thought - but it doesn't seem to fit, so here I assume it means coal you bothered to ship from Newcastle. This is Shakespeare writing about the South, and to him it meant something different.

Quote:
However in the North-East, the word “seacoaling” means only one thing, and that is slightly different from how it is used elsewhere in the country.

https://citizan.org.uk/blog/2018/Nov/20/seacoal-a-vayne-of-secoles/
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2019 6:03:03 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/30/2016
Posts: 1,810
Neurons: 11,618
Location: Luton, England, United Kingdom
thar wrote:
Yes, that was my first thought - but it doesn't seem to fit, so here I assume it means coal you bothered to ship from Newcastle. This is Shakespeare writing about the South, and to him it meant something different.

Quote:
However in the North-East, the word “seacoaling” means only one thing, and that is slightly different from how it is used elsewhere in the country.

https://citizan.org.uk/blog/2018/Nov/20/seacoal-a-vayne-of-secoles/


Yes but Shakespeare was from Warwickshire himself.
Although the question is what was the source of the original coal from Newcastle that led to it being known as sea-coal, many good were brought in by ship and did not gain the “sea” prefix.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.