mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
no/not adjective Options
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 4:52:43 AM

Neurons: 10,357
I read that "not" is used before nouns but "not" before adjectives. But there are many adjectives that "no" is used before. For the following adjectives, Is there any reason that why "no" can be used, please?? I think this just is correct for comparative adjectives, right?

1. This room is no different to the one we've been renting before.
2. You're no better than me.
pjharvey
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 5:32:40 AM

Neurons: 72,767
Hi Tara,

why do you say that "not" cannot be used before adjectives?
There are many examples where it is used, e.g. "This room is not big."
Maybe you refer to attributive adjectives (attributive adjectives are adjectives placed before the noun they refer to)? In this case, you are right: you cannot say "the not big room", though you can say "the non-big room" in certain cases.

As to "no", yes, in your examples it only refers to comparative forms, and has this use as specified here in TFD:
"2. Not at all; not by any degree. Often used with the comparative: no better; no more."

By the way, are your example sentences self-made? I have asked because they contain an error.

1. This room is no different to the one we've been renting before. - WRONG - This room is no different from/to the one we rented before (because "before" refers to the past)

And I know that this is debatable, but
2. You're no better than me - I think that the correct form is "You're no better than I".

Tara2
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 5:39:51 AM

Hi pjharvey,
Thank you for the good explanation!
I found these sentences in another threads that was asked before on English Only forum. Thank you for the corrections, too.
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 6:41:36 AM

Neurons: 1,245,655
The way to keep that last bit straight in your head (make it sound right to you), is to include the implied word in the sentence, at least to yourself.
...You are no better than I am.
...You are no better than I (am).
...You are no better than I.

The use of I in this sentence has become "debatable" only because of repeated misuse.
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 6:57:19 AM

[quote=Wilmar (USA)]The way to keep that last bit straight in your head (make it sound right to you), is to include the implied word in the sentence, at least to yourself.
...You are no better than I am.
...You are no better than I (am).
...You are no better than I.

The use of I in this sentence has become "debatable" only because of repeated misuse. [/quote
Thank you, wilmar, I understand.