The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What does the part in bold mean? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2019 8:29:29 PM

Neurons: 27,358
Mahathir is serving his second and probably last term as PM. He would like to see to it that his legacy and long years of accomplishments would outlast his departure from power.

It is thus essential for him to choose at least an immediate successor who would faithfully execute his vision for the country.

What does the part in bold mean?

Thanks.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/commentary/mahathir-mohamad-succession-anwar-ibrahim-azmin-ali-2020-when-12185310
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2019 9:37:38 PM

Neurons: 65,653
Koh Elaine wrote:
Mahathir is serving his second and probably last term as PM. He would like to see to it that his legacy and long years of accomplishments would outlast his departure from power.

It is thus essential for him to choose at least an immediate successor who would faithfully execute his vision for the country.

What does the part in bold mean?

Thanks.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/commentary/mahathir-mohamad-succession-anwar-ibrahim-azmin-ali-2020-when-12185310

It means he hopes his accomplishments will continue to be beneficial after he departs from office. But "outlasts" is the wrong word to use. If his accomplishments go on for an hour, they will have outlasted his departure.

Usually, it is something similar to, "...accomplishments will outlast him many years", meaning they will be beneficial long after his death.
pjharvey
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 4:57:13 AM

Neurons: 69,107
To add to FounDit's reply, I would like to express my doubts about the use of "would" before "outlast". I think it's wrong. Any native speaker's comments?
Romany
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 5:54:45 AM

Neurons: 54,729
PJ -

Well this particular native-speaker can't see any reason "would" could be considered incorrect? Why do YOU think it is?

I don't agree that "outlasts" is the wrong word to use, though.

Having just quit the place I've been working at since I arrived in the UK I too hope that initiatives I implemented outlast me. I don't think it would occur to anyone to think, therefore, that I'd just like them to outlast me for an hour or a day. One doesn't have a time-plan on it, I would have thought.

The hope that his accomplishments outlast his term in office would, IRW , mean that the GOOD things he put in place will continue to benefit the community...for as long as necessary, or until a better plan comes along.
pjharvey
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 6:40:01 AM

Neurons: 69,107
Hello Romany,

I am not 100% sure, but I cannot see a reason for that "would".
In fact, you have not used it in your examples:

"I too hope that initiatives I implemented outlast me"
"The hope that his accomplishments outlast his term in office...".

You have not written
"I too hope that initiatives I implemented would outlast me"
"The hope that his accomplishments would outlast his term in office..."

Maybe it's not wrong, just optional?