The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Divided we stand Options
alibey1917
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 6:08:41 AM

Neurons: 5,515
Divided We Stand: A Biography of New York’s World Trade Center is a book written by Eric Darton. Can you paraphrase the phrase "divided we stand"? Thanks in advance.
NancyUK
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 8:06:56 AM

Neurons: 102,586
Hello alibey1917

I would think this is a reference to the motto or idiom:

United we stand, divided we fall.

Further details here: "United we stand"

What he means by this may become clear by reading his book, but it is a commonly-used play on the motto, as a quick Google search will show.
alibey1917
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 11:33:39 AM

NancyUK yazdı:
Hello alibey1917

I would think this is a reference to the motto or idiom:

Further details here: "United we stand"

What he means by this may become clear by reading his book, but it is a commonly-used play on the motto, as a quick Google search will show.

Hello, and thank you, NancyUK.
thar
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 12:26:48 PM

Neurons: 90,875
There is play on the words 'stand' in the original that is done again in this wordplay.

Stand is the opposite if fall - we stand (static) = be strong, resist, withstand, be immovable; we stand (active) = be together, rise up, position ourselves

Quote:
VERB
You can say that a building is standing when it remains after other buildings around it have fallen down or been destroyed.
The palace, which was damaged by bombs in World War II, still stood. [VERB]
There are very few buildings left standing. [VERB]

Quote:
15. VERB
If something can stand a situation or a test, it is good enough or strong enough to experience it without being damaged, harmed, or shown to be inadequate.
These are the first machines that can stand the wear and tear of continuously crushing glass. [VERB noun]
I think these books can stand comparison quite happily with works by Dickens. [VERB noun]
Ancient wisdom has stood the test of time. [VERB noun]
Synonyms: resist, endure, withstand, wear [British, slang]
alibey1917
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 2:41:54 PM

thar yazdı:
There is play on the words 'stand' in the original that is done again in this wordplay.

Stand is the opposite if fall - we stand (static) = be strong, resist, withstand, be immovable; we stand (active) = be together, rise up, position ourselves

Alıntı:
VERB
You can say that a building is standing when it remains after other buildings around it have fallen down or been destroyed.
The palace, which was damaged by bombs in World War II, still stood. [VERB]
There are very few buildings left standing. [VERB]

Alıntı:
15. VERB
If something can stand a situation or a test, it is good enough or strong enough to experience it without being damaged, harmed, or shown to be inadequate.
These are the first machines that can stand the wear and tear of continuously crushing glass. [VERB noun]
I think these books can stand comparison quite happily with works by Dickens. [VERB noun]
Ancient wisdom has stood the test of time. [VERB noun]
Synonyms: resist, endure, withstand, wear [British, slang]

I'm sorry but I couldn't understand what you said, thar.
thar
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 3:32:58 PM

OK, I will try to put it another way. The way this phrase is used, this is a play on words already.

This is two potential 'results'.

If we are united, then we will survive (we can withstand the things that try to bring us down).Because of our unity we will be able to endure anything.
But if we are divided, not working together, then we will fail. We will be defeated, because individually we are weak.

so there 'stand' is about resistance- we will be left standing, we will not be smashed down.

But if you just use the first part, then you can think of it as just an inversion of word order

united we stand
we stand united
ie we are together, we have chosen to support each other and be together as a group.

Then, by changing that into 'we stand divided' - that produces all sorts of new meanings. We are divided (so we will fail?). We stand because we are divided (an engineering solution).

I was just trying to point out the the particular usage of words in that original phrase is more complicated than just the meaning given in that link. It involves all sorts of wordplay when you only use half of the saying.
alibey1917
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2019 2:17:33 AM

thar yazdı:
OK, I will try to put it another way. The way this phrase is used, this is a play on words already.

This is two potential 'results'.

If we are united, then we will survive (we can withstand the things that try to bring us down).Because of our unity we will be able to endure anything.
But if we are divided, not working together, then we will fail. We will be defeated, because individually we are weak.

so there 'stand' is about resistance- we will be left standing, we will not be smashed down.

But if you just use the first part, then you can think of it as just an inversion of word order

united we stand
we stand united
ie we are together, we have chosen to support each other and be together as a group.

Then, by changing that into 'we stand divided' - that produces all sorts of new meanings. We are divided (so we will fail?). We stand because we are divided (an engineering solution).

I was just trying to point out the the particular usage of words in that original phrase is more complicated than just the meaning given in that link. It involves all sorts of wordplay when you only use half of the saying.

Thank you, thar, I got it. I read the phrase as a defence of democracy against totalitarianism.
thar
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2019 2:57:11 AM

It is much older than that - the Americans coined it but it always stood for unity.
Eg trades unions (workers' organisations) - if we all stand together (eg we all go out in strike / support each other in disputes that don't affect us directly) then we have some power and the bosses can't treat us so badly.

The link to democracy is one version but it is always aboutbeing stronger by staying united against some sort of opposing force.
alibey1917
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2019 4:33:16 AM

thar yazdı:
It is much older than that - the Americans coined it but it always stood for unity.
Eg trades unions (workers' organisations) - if we all stand together (eg we all go out in strike / support each other in disputes that don't affect us directly) then we have some power and the bosses can't treat us so badly.

The link to democracy is one version but it is always aboutbeing stronger by staying united against some sort of opposing force.

But, thar, the phrase says "Divided We Stand", not ""United we stand".
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2019 11:04:32 AM

Neurons: 224,906
It is a "play on words" - not a pun exactly (which uses two different meanings of the same word, usually).
It refers to the "twin towers" - one unit, the World Trade Center, divided into two buildings. They stood, divided.

It is probably not meant to be humourous but, as a title of a book, is meant to attract attention.
A book called "United we Stand" would not be so noticeable.