mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

emotional fuckwites Options
AlyonaSunlight
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 5:22:23 PM

Neurons: 4,425
Hello!

I have a question about the phrase used in Bridget Jones's Diary:

I will not continue to form romantic attachments to any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, commitment-phobics, peeping toms, megalomaniacs, emotional fuckwits, or perverts.

I have three guesses what it may mean, please, let me know what you understand by this phrase))

1) a person who makes? a “stupid” emotional drama.

2) a person who manipulates another person and his / her emotions.

3) a person who does a snow job on somebody else.

Which one is closer to the truth? if any Anxious

Thank you in advance!
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 6:25:46 PM

Neurons: 11,558
AlyonaSunlight wrote:
Hello!

I have a question about the phrase used in Bridget Jones's Diary:

I will not continue to form romantic attachments to any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, commitment-phobics, peeping toms, megalomaniacs, emotional fuckwits, or perverts.

I have three guesses what it may mean, please, let me know what you understand by this phrase))

1) a person who makes? a “stupid” emotional drama.

2) a person who manipulates another person and his / her emotions.

3) a person who does a snow job on somebody else.

Which one is closer to the truth? if any Anxious

Thank you in advance!

For me it’s closest to number 1 a person who is overly emotional and who Bridget would consider contemptible because of that fact.
Although I am unsure what you mean by a “snow job” on somebody I guess that is young person slang for something.
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 7:14:08 PM

Neurons: 1,063,857
Congratulations on finding a reason to post your vulgar text.
PuddingRRanger
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:21:48 PM

Neurons: 85,520
I chose choice #2 when I was reading the book considering that she was being emotionally manipulated by some men in the story.
AlyonaSunlight
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 2:37:03 AM

I never meant to hurt your feelings, Wilmar (USA), and I’m sorry if I have.
I just truly want to understand what it means and BTW it doesn’t sound THAT vulgar to non-native speakers.
But I also want to say that curse words are a part of the language – they are widely used, and if you want to avoid any kind of misunderstanding, you have to know them too.

I don't use such words in my speech (not in my native language as well) but again I think it's important to be aware of them. And if I could find any explanations not asking native speakers (and not writing it down here), I would definitely go for that option!

Thank you, Sarrriesfan and PuddingRRanger, for your answers!
AlyonaSunlight
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 4:31:50 AM

Sarrriesfan, to do a snow job is an American expression which means to deceive a person.
pjharvey
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 6:41:31 AM

Neurons: 69,107
Try this link, Alyona: https://www.hanapiranha.com/single-post/2016/11/22/10-Tips-For-Surviving-A-Fuckwit

P.S. I have met one and have had the chance to study their behaviour in depth; they are indeed a horrid species!
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 6:53:39 AM

Neurons: 11,558
pjharvey wrote:
Try this link, Alyona: https://www.hanapiranha.com/single-post/2016/11/22/10-Tips-For-Surviving-A-Fuckwit

P.S. I have met one and have had the chance to study their behaviour in depth; they are indeed a horrid species!

It’s an interesting blog, but a fuckwit in British usage is any person you think is an idiot for any reason.
My old boss who tried to make his staff break UK employment law and did not like it when we pointed it out to him was one.
The plumber who fitted the wrong kind of valve in a toilet cistern was one.
The car driver who cut you up on the motorway is one.
Fuckwits come in all shapes and varieties it is just that some men in relationship with women are ones too.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 7:19:25 AM

Neurons: 54,597

Agree with Sarries - in today's usage "fuckwit" doesn't have any particular "meaning": its just a word that means "idiot" or "not very bright". And an "emotional fuckwit" is a person with low E.Q. (emotional intelligence).

And you're absolutely right - when learning a language - any language - one doesn't only learn "nice" words. You need to learn how English-speakers actually use language - and to pretend that words one doesn't like oneself are not part of the language is hardly the way to become fluent in a language. I, personally hate the word "bosom". It's not a swear-word, but I just hate it: - however I'm hardly going to tell my students not to use it! Yours is the intelligent and realistic way of learning about language - and it shouldn't come under unwarranted criticism simply because of one stranger's own personal choices or ideals.
NancyUK
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 8:16:10 AM

Neurons: 102,556
Romany wrote:

And you're absolutely right - when learning a language - any language - one doesn't only learn "nice" words. You need to learn how English-speakers actually use language - and to pretend that words one doesn't like oneself are not part of the language is hardly the way to become fluent in a language. I, personally hate the word "bosom". It's not a swear-word, but I just hate it: - however I'm hardly going to tell my students not to use it! Yours is the intelligent and realistic way of learning about language - and it shouldn't come under unwarranted criticism simply because of one stranger's own personal choices or ideals.

Completely agree. The title of your post should have been a good indicator to those with delicate sensibilities that they will not like the content - so don't read it anyway and then complain about it!
AlyonaSunlight
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2019 12:24:32 PM

Thank you very much, NancyUK, Romany, pjharvey and Sarrriesfan!!))

And especially for your support :)