Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 96,486
Observation is an old man's memory.

Jonathan Swift (1667-1745)
floyd
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:25:28 AM

Neurons: 411
I'm skeptical when someone talks about "an old man's memory". I worry sometimes about how easy it seems for old people to get lost in their memories, and to drift away from life.

I think the Buddhist teachings get it right by focusing on mindfulness -- the ability to remain in the present moment, not distracted by either memories of the past or worries about the future.

Then, of course, there are the brutal ravages of dementia. But that is a very different subject.

floyd

percivalpecksniff
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:01:05 AM

Neurons: 3,404
Yes I remember Mabel Dementia Floyd, she were a right corker…. We used to go round the back of the bicycle shed…. or were it the cook’s kitchen… can’t remember. I did not know you knew Mabel Dementia… she never said. Your right though she were brutal, she threw my wallet in the duck pond once… no wait, that were Gladys Arkwright as did that.

I think there is a truism here. Memory is such a rich vein of inspiration. I love to reminisce over a pint while leaning at the bar where the echoes of that oft repeated phrase ‘in my day’ can be heard injected into the conversation every once in a while. Yes, a journey into ‘the good old days’ through leafy lanes and apple and nut orchards of the local farmer. The recounting of mischievous pranks where one was the centre of attention with ones mates and the bemoaning of a lost era where all seemed rosy and just so.

Memory, used in balance, is such a joy and adds richness to a conversation.
GabhSigenod
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:30:59 AM

Neurons: 149,736
We all sit around the fire, sharing our bygone escapades with relish. Oh, what times we had, what joys. Oh, now what were we talking about anyway? Oh yes, observation. I remember when...!
sacsayhuaman
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:23:04 PM

and legacy passed on to son as salvation
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:36:45 PM

Neurons: 69,796
Observation is an old man's memory.

I'm still trying to figure out what he meant by that. Was it that the observations you make today are the memories of your old age?

What if you don't pay attention? Will you have no memories? Maybe that's what dementia is: failure to pay attention when you were young.Think

So that's why my teacher's always yelled at me to, "Pay attention!" They knew that one day I would need that memory so I could pass it on to the grand-kids (Pay attention, dang it!!)right before thumping them on the head.

"Look!" I'll say to them, ... and then forget what I wanted to say because I didn't pay attention.Drool

floyd
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:10:22 PM

Neurons: 411
Hey, FounDit --

Dang it, your observation about memory is so wise! I don't see how you ever LosTit!

Or something . . . Angel

Your fan,

floyd

jcbarros
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:39:34 PM

Neurons: 9,377
I had something very important to say but it slipped my mind.