The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

casual grace could not be taught only learned Options
Kristina Lukosevice
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 3:35:44 AM

Neurons: 1,059

Dear All,

need your help for understanding this sentence "casual grace could not be taught only learned".

"Henry sat at the head of the table with Miss St.Claire at his right hand. He occupied that seat of authority with a casual grace that could not be taught, only learned."

Is this something like a behaviour, which you can not learn by heart, just have to gain with years passing, or maybe, it is like some blessing?

Thank you very much!

thar
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 4:06:06 AM

Neurons: 88,936
This is elegance, confident stature.

The idea is that nobody can say 'this is how you do it' - nobody can teach you how to exhibit a particular attitude.

But through experience, growing up, that is the sort of style you can take in from the world around you and end up unconsciously showing- a natural arrogance or self-assurance, a knowledge that you belong there.
palapaguy
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 10:43:25 PM

Neurons: 14,578
Kristina Lukosevice wrote:

Dear All,

need your help for understanding this sentence "casual grace could not be taught only learned".

"Henry sat at the head of the table with Miss St.Claire at his right hand. He occupied that seat of authority with a casual grace that could not be taught, only learned."

Is this something like a behaviour, which you can not learn by heart, just have to gain with years passing, or maybe, it is like some blessing?

Thank you very much!

The quoted text is very nicely phrased. It means self-confidence or assurance that one comes by naturally and others can only admire.

Bobby Beeman
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 11:58:26 PM

Neurons: 436
I am new on here but would like to say thank you for the question. I have never heard of the term; "Casual Grace," Instantly I thought about the bibles perspective then reread the term less casually. Glad I did reread it now, I would agree with the others.Adding my input, it must be a learned or absorbed position.
Kristina Lukosevice
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 5:11:24 AM

Neurons: 1,059
Thank you all for great help!