mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Is there any difference? Options
learner
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:38:32 PM

Neurons: 78
I would like to know if there is any difference between I'll miss you or I'll be missing you.

Learner
pigwidgeon
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:53:27 PM

Neurons: 90
learner wrote:
I would like to know if there is any difference between I'll miss you or I'll be missing you.

Learner

I'll miss you is in present tense, while I'll be missing you is future tense.
Luftmarque
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:13:47 PM

Neurons: 39,962
pigwidgeon wrote:
learner wrote:
Learner

Bzzzt!! That's not right, expanding the contractions we have:
(1) I will miss you. [future simple tense]
(2) I will be missing you. [future progressive tense, I think]
The difference in meaning is subtle, I'm not sure I can grasp or explain it, and I would favor the simpler sentence (1) for most occasions. This is how I see the sentences anyway, though I admit to not having the most secure knowledge of tenses. Perhaps someone else will have a better sense of the shades of meaning in the pair.
grammargeek
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:26:00 PM

Neurons: 33,836
Luftmarque wrote:
pigwidgeon wrote:
learner wrote:
Learner

The difference in meaning is subtle, I'm not sure I can grasp or explain it, and I would favor the simpler sentence (1) for most occasions. This is how I see the sentences anyway, though I admit to not having the most secure knowledge of tenses. Perhaps someone else will have a better sense of the shades of meaning in the pair.

I agree with you Luftmarque. "I'll miss you" is certainly not present tense. However, beyond that, the distinctions become a little grey for me.
early_apex
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:27:28 PM

Neurons: 12,855
Luftmarque wrote:
pigwidgeon wrote:
learner wrote:
Learner

I think I will miss you could be a one-time event, as in "I missed you yesterday, but I got over it." I will be missing you implies returning repeatedly to feelings of lonliness because no substitute for you has arisen in my life.
valenarwen
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:56:16 PM

Neurons: 1,025
Sense-wise the distinction seems to be that "I'll be missing you" makes reference to each and every second that goes by till you see the other person... "I'll miss you" seems more like a parting forever thing... Or maybe I'm just sensitive cause I broke up with my bf last week. Work that one out
Greatleo
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:17:55 PM

Neurons: 12
I agree with valenarwen. "I miss you" seems like a one time thing but "I will be missing you" bears some kind of frequency in it.
michael336
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 8:10:54 AM

Neurons: 6
"Ill miss you" indicates that your absence will be one of a long list of events and emotions with which I must deal with on a day-to-day basis. "I'll be missing you" means that my life is changed, and not for the better. Your absence, rather than being one of many, will be the lense through which I experience those events in which you are no long a part.
From another point of view, "I'll miss you" is a social convention, much like the rhetorical question, "How are you?" "I'll be missing you," however, is a true statement of feeling, ranking the person to whom it is addressed on a much higher level than the one to whom is said, "I'll miss you."
teacherwoman
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 1:41:51 PM

Neurons: 485
Michael Swan, Practical English Usage, OUP, 2nd ed 1995 explains the usage of future progressive (will be ...-ing, §225) as follows:
It is used to say that something will be going on at a particular time in the future.
The example he gives is "Good luck with your exam. We will be thinking of you". (i.e. while the exam is going on)

Whereas simple future (will + verb) simply talks about (possible) future events, no focus on particular times.

So, according to Swan, "I'll be missing you" focuses on the feeling of loss at particular moments in the future and sounds more emotional. The person who says this sentence sees himself (or herself) in the future (tomorrow, next week..) feeling lonely.

"I'll miss you" is more of a general statement. Since it doesn't focus so much on the ongoing feeling of being lonely in the future, it might sound colder, less intense, more conventional as someone in the list put it.