The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Children begin by loving their parents. After a time they judge them. Rarely, if ever, do they forgive them. Options
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 8:03:03 AM

Neurons: 4,678
To Excaelis:

Please explain your comment:

"All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his."

I understand the part about "women becoming like their mother's". But not the part about: "No man does. That's his"
percivalpecksniff
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 8:24:40 AM

Neurons: 3,404
Exaelis quoted this and brought it into the melting pot for discussion: 'All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his.'

The Importance Of Being Earnest, I.I. unquote.

I love that comedy, but the claim in that comment quoted is plainly untrue. I have four siblings and they all say that although I look like my father, I have my mother's ways. I am sure that is true for many men. There is no hard and fast rule is there? A lot depends of genetic inheritance surely, and much on influence as well as the choices of the individual offspring.

I have observed many who have taken after their mothers… sometimes that is a good thing and at others regrettable.
I suppose like all statements Oscar Wilde’s does not apply across the board and in this case is not even a truism.