The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Vaping linked to lung failure Options
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 3:53:32 AM

Neurons: 1,322,562
Vaping is causing a growing epidemic of lung failure.

One man’s brush with death after vaping-related lung failure
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/one-mans-brush-with-death-after-vaping-related-lung-failure/

Illinois patient’s death may be first in US tied to vaping
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/illinois-patients-death-may-be-first-in-us-tied-to-vaping/
BobShilling
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 5:28:22 AM

Neurons: 7,871
While I am not in any way attempting to claim that vaping is harmless (I simply don't know), I note these words in the first report:

Although the cases appear similar, officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention caution they don’t know whether the illnesses are associated with the e-cigarette devices themselves or with specific ingredients or contaminants inhaled through them. It isn’t even clear they have a common cause or whether they might be different diseases with similar symptoms.

The second contained these words:

Officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday that 193 people in 22 states have contracted severe respiratory illnesses after vaping. However, they said a clear-cut common cause of the illnesses hasn’t been identified and that they are being called “potential cases” that are still under investigation.

While it would be criminally negligent, in my opinion, not to research the possible harmful effects of vaping, I think it is not possible (yet), from what I have read, to state categorically that there is a proven link between vaping and certain illnesses/deaths.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 9:58:38 PM

CDC Says Number Of Possible Cases Of Vaping-Related Lung Illness Has Doubled
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/09/06/758337583/cdc-says-number-of-possible-cases-of-vaping-related-lung-illness-has-doubled

Quote:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday that the number of possible cases of severe respiratory illnesses among people who vaped nicotine or cannabis-related products has more than doubled, to 450 in 33 states.

"Although more investigation is needed to determine the vaping agent or agents responsible, there is clearly an epidemic that begs for an urgent response," David Christiani of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health writes in an editorial published Friday in The New England Journal of Medicine.

In a media briefing Friday, the CDC suggested people should avoid using e-cigarettes.

"While this investigation is ongoing, people should consider not using e-cigarette products," says Dr. Dana Meaney-Delman, incident manager of the CDC's response to the vaping-related lung injuries. "People who do use e-cigarette products should monitor themselves for symptoms, for example, cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, nausea and vomiting — and promptly seek medical attention for any health concerns."

Late last month, the CDC said the number of reported vaping-related cases stood at 215. Five people have died — in Illinois, Oregon, Indiana, Minnesota and California.

Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 6:43:37 AM

As Vaping Illnesses Rise, Doctors Warn Of Possible 'Irreversible Damage' To Lungs
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/09/19/762306652/as-vaping-illnesses-rise-doctors-warn-of-possible-irreversible-damage-to-lungs

Quote:
"Nationwide, people who vape continue to sicken with severe and unexplained lung illness, leaving doctors and patients concerned about both the acute and long-term effects of the injuries.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Thursday that there are now 530 confirmed or probable cases of lung injury associated with vaping, a jump from 380 cases reported last week. Seven people have died.

"We at CDC are very concerned about the occurrence of life-threatening illness in otherwise healthy, young people," said Dr. Anne Schuchat, the CDC's principal deputy director, during a call with reporters.

She said this is an ongoing outbreak: "States continue to get new cases reported."

The CDC has ramped up its investigation, activating its Emergency Operations Center this week in an effort to nail down the cause of the illnesses, which remains unclear. In addition, the Food and Drug Administration has enlisted the help of its office of criminal investigations, the law enforcement arm of FDA."
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 5:08:22 PM

Eighth death linked to vaping as illnesses surge around the United States
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/19/health/vaping-lung-injury-new-cases-530-bn/index.html

Quote:
"Missouri health officials announced on Thursday the vaping-related death of a man in his mid-40s. This is the United States' eighth death linked to severe lung injury and illness tied to e-cigarettes.

The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services said the man had normal lung function before he started to vape in May. He developed mild respiratory symptoms that worsened, and was hospitalized on August 22.

"This is an unfortunate case of a young man with no prior lung illness who started vaping because of chronic pain issues," Dr. Michael Plisco, Mercy Hospital St. Louis critical care pulmonologist and medical director of Mercy's extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) program said in a media release. "He started out with shortness of breath and it rapidly progressed and deteriorated, developing into what is called acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Once the lungs are injured by vaping, we don't know how quickly it worsens and if it depends on other risk factors.""
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:59:45 AM

Vaping's bad, but so are AR15's.

Elvandil
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 3:49:47 PM

Neurons: 146,610
Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
Vaping is causing a growing epidemic of lung failure.

One man’s brush with death after vaping-related lung failure
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/one-mans-brush-with-death-after-vaping-related-lung-failure/

Illinois patient’s death may be first in US tied to vaping
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/illinois-patients-death-may-be-first-in-us-tied-to-vaping/

Yet, they seem to make little progress chasing this down. It's surely a complex issue. As a vaper (not "vapor), I decided to use vaping as a way to quit smoking. But the kits were all so expensive that smoking was far cheaper. So, I bought a few beginner's kits and took them apart. After discovering ways to refill cartridges myself, thus saving almost all the future costs of vaping, I started making my own "juice". As a person with a chemistry degree, I decided to use propylene glycol and nicotine polacrilex. But I suspect that many are not so careful and/or knowledgeable and are using impure and unsafe alternatives. And I question the use of vegetable oils that some use as "more natural". The fact that most problems seem to come from questionable manufacturers rather than mainstream companies would tend to validate that idea.