Welcome Guest
pommel Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,622
pommel

(verb) Strike, usually with the fist.

Synonyms: biff

Usage: Arthur now uses the school's back entrance because bullies are often loitering in the front, waiting to pommel him in the face.
xrayangiodoc
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:23:08 AM

Neurons: 128
The first meaning that I thought of was:
noun
noun: pommel; plural noun: pommels
a rounded knob on the end of the handle of a sword, dagger, or old-fashioned gun.
the upward curving or projecting part of a saddle in front of the rider.

another term for pummel - which is what I associate with the meaning that you provided.
Adder
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 3:53:33 AM

Neurons: 123
The single meaning given ignores the others. And slants it towards solely a Usan (American) readership. Pommel in British English ONLY means the rising front part of a horse's saddle or part of a sword that forms the handle. Whowever chooses the single meanings here needs to think outside of Usa (America).
taurine
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 4:03:55 AM

Neurons: 159,814
xrayangiodoc wrote:
The first meaning that I thought of was:
noun
noun: pommel; plural noun: pommels
a rounded knob on the end of the handle of a sword, dagger, or old-fashioned gun.
the upward curving or projecting part of a saddle in front of the rider.

another term for pummel - which is what I associate with the meaning that you provided.

And so did I think about a sword.
Nevertheless, I have also prepared something...

"In paragraph 72, Mr Foley (the Hearing Officer of the Comptroller-General Patents, Designs and Trade Marks) refers to the suggestion by Mr Turner that sabatier is descriptive of a knife with a black beak pommel."
"Robin Quinn gripped the pommel of the saddle and tried emergency dismount."
"The 7 counts on the indictments each alleged against the appellant money laundering of this general kind by or on behalf of named known criminals. The count 7 named Jado Pommell".

Ad. 1) Employment Appeal Tribunal, at the Tribunal on 17 January 2002, before Mr Commissioner Howell QC, Ms SR Corby, Mr I Ezekiel. Transcript of proceedings (...).
Ad. 2) High Court [2012] IEHC 106, Quinn - v - Bradbury & Bradbury.
Ad. 3) McDonald v. R. [2011] EWCA Crom 1776.

taurine
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 4:31:49 AM

Adder wrote:
The single meaning given ignores the others. And slants it towards solely a Usan (American) readership. Pommel in British English ONLY means the rising front part of a horse's saddle or part of a sword that forms the handle. Whowever chooses the single meanings here needs to think outside of Usa (America).

You are ignorant of the facts from the past. Lack of knowledge does not justify your aggressive attitude and lack of respect for the United States of America. It only can serve your particular biased purposes and, for example, your intention to impose upon other people your unreasonable point of view. Which is not a groundbreaking rediscovery of your favorite excerpts from the past.
But to the point...

In the past, when people knew their place in the hierarchy without being summoned before the Court, the swords were expensive. In Japan, there were swords whose cost was higher than the value of a work of peasants living in one, average village throughout one year. In Europe, the swords were also praised and highly regarded. The pommel was used in direct close combat to hit opponent in the head. This made the blade unscathed and useful longer, while an enemy was eliminated.
In the result, pommel is an appropriate word if somebody wants to say 'hit' without repeating the same word twice.

Nowadays, belonging to the higher class is not required to pommel.
lazarius
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 4:53:04 AM

Neurons: 1,040,717
taurine wrote:
Adder wrote:
And slants it towards solely a Usan (American) readership. Pommel in British English ONLY means the rising front part of a horse's saddle or part of a sword that forms the handle. Whowever chooses the single meanings here needs to think outside of Usa (America).

You are ignorant of the facts from the past.

Looks like that.

https://books.google.com/books?id=uPwKAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA78&dq=pommelled

Quote:
In this favorable position of affairs, Noah rose from the ground : and pommelled him behind.

https://books.google.com/books?id=YFg1AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA280&dq=pommelled

Quote:
They marched off from Hogginarmo's park very crest-fallen; and in another half-hour they were met by that rapacious chieftain with a few of his followers, who cut, slashed, charged, whacked, banged, and pommelled amongst them, took the Queen prisoner, and drove the Army of Fidelity to I don't know where.

-
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 7:38:36 AM

Neurons: 1,128,853
Daemon wrote:
pommel

Usage: Arthur now uses the school's back entrance because bullies are often loitering in the front, waiting to pommel him in the face.
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:17:38 AM

Neurons: 1,232,862

Yes, many words have multiple meanings.
taurine
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 1:17:52 PM

lazarius wrote:
taurine wrote:
Adder wrote:
And slants it towards solely a Usan (American) readership. Pommel in British English ONLY means the rising front part of a horse's saddle or part of a sword that forms the handle. Whowever chooses the single meanings here needs to think outside of Usa (America).

You are ignorant of the facts from the past.

Looks like that.

https://books.google.com/books?id=uPwKAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA78&dq=pommelled

Quote:
In this favorable position of affairs, Noah rose from the ground : and pommelled him behind.

https://books.google.com/books?id=YFg1AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA280&dq=pommelled

Quote:
They marched off from Hogginarmo's park very crest-fallen; and in another half-hour they were met by that rapacious chieftain with a few of his followers, who cut, slashed, charged, whacked, banged, and pommelled amongst them, took the Queen prisoner, and drove the Army of Fidelity to I don't know where.

-

I like it.
The Holy Bible was compiled around 4th century A. D. under the guidance of certain Byzantine emperor. Members of the ecclesiastical council debating over the official text of the Holy Script were under the influence of East Roman Impire ceasar.
Monks translating Bible from Greek into Latin were paid by rulers who also used to use swords.
Kevin Adams 2
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 4:59:24 PM

Neurons: 3
But what of Pummel?

Is it possible the definition is the wrong one?

If im wrong then i'll do a bunch of hail marys (no i wont).

K
8BooksOfSengathe
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2019 6:57:00 AM

Neurons: 15,967
Daemon wrote:
pommel

To pommel(Verb) one's pommel(Noun) may end up requiring one to cold bandage
wrap one's knuckles , and then repent of pummeling one's new leather pommel(Noun) thereafter.
:)