The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Should We Care About Loss of Privacy? Options
Hope123
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 12:30:25 PM

Neurons: 52,975
Since Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced last week that in conjunction with some other countries' efforts re privacy, Canada will introduce a digital charter to combat hate speech, misinformation, and online electoral interference, I am putting this Privacy topic in the Politics sub forum, as I'm sure if it isn't already, it will become political before too long, at least here in Canada.

Heather Mallick of the Toronto Star sums up our loss of privacy quite well in this opinion piece.

Should We Care About Loss of Privacy?

I was sorry to see this sentence in her article although I know she is attacked relentlessly with hate filled messages, even death threats in co-ordinated efforts by certain groups, so it is definitely understandable that she has to protect herself.

"Since social media arrived with its digital strip-mining, I have a list of topics I will no longer write about."

It would be interesting to me to know which topics are on her list. It is not anti-abortion as she just wrote an excellent article about it.

In an effort to make sure their seed is spread, many Canadian Conservative males (and some follower females) instead of minding their own business are trying to force their religion on everyone wanting laws to strip women's rights here in Canada, following what's happening in the US. Some states have promoted over 300 bills this year alone to effect uterus control and forced pregnancy even in rape and incest cases. Canadian Conservatives narrowly voted to retain a previous pledge not to open the debate in Canada but a swing of three votes would change that. Liberals are desperately trying to keep the incumbent government in power in October as PMJT has adamantly vowed to always protect women's personal rights, and he has worked to improve their rights in the workplace.

I mention this anti abortion topic because it ties in. It is online right now with hatred spewing false information equating pro women as being like Hitler's policies with killing - except Hitler actually had a "birthing policy" for the right colour of babies.

Anyhow, although I see the hatred, bots, and trolls online, I go about my daily life not thinking about this issue much unless it is brought to my attention by PMJT or this opinion piece. Should I care?

Does anybody care? If so, why should we care?

Hope123
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 12:39:42 PM

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2019/05/16/justin-trudeau-introduces-digital-charter-to-combat-hate-speech-misinformation.html

"Social media and combating online extremism were at the top of the agenda as Trudeau finished up his two-day trip to France.

As various countries signed on to the “Christchurch Call” on Wednesday, many social-media companies, including Facebook, Google and Twitter, pledged to step up their efforts to prevent their platforms from being used to spread hatred, help extremist groups organize and broadcast attacks."

Those companies say they will step up efforts, but it is almost an impossible job to keep up with algorithms, bots, and trolls.

Also - Is voluntary effort enough?

Edited - what can the average person do besides not using the platforms? My family could stop using FB and I could easily stop Twitter. About a year ago I switched from Google to duckduckgo but found I was not getting the info I wanted in certain searches so switched back to Google. However, I just this minute went back to duckduckgo as they say they do not follow you.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 11:58:10 AM

I guess not.
philips daughter
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 1:50:31 PM

Neurons: 43,648
I care. I just don’t know what to do. When I start expressing it though, it comes out like “Aghhhh!”
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 2:01:58 PM

philips daughter wrote:
I care. I just don’t know what to do. When I start expressing it though, it comes out like “Aghhhh!”

Applause Applause Applause