The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Coal's Other Dark Side Options
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 11:08:26 AM

Neurons: 52,508
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/02/coal-other-dark-side-toxic-ash/?cmpid=org=ngp:

Workers who cleaned up a huge spill from a coal ash pond in Tennessee in 2008 are still suffering—and dying. More than a billion gallons of toxic coal ash poured into the Emory River, poisoning the water and people. The U.S. has 1,400 ash dumps.

How many people besides miners know how deadly exposure to coal dust can be? Even these workers did not realize it till too late.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 1:04:54 PM

Neurons: 219,930
I know it as "Black Lung Disease" - pneumoconiosis - it was just "one of those industrial diseases" till the 50s or 60s.
I mean, people who work die, don't they? It's inevitable. No use trying to do anything about it.

Actually, your article is a bit different - it IS 'the other side'.
Black lung disease was very much caused by the size of the particles breathed in (like silicosis and asbestosis). Toxic chemicals in the dust played some part in it, but not the major part.
This 'industrial accident' is ash - which has the same tiny, 'almost absorbable' particles which block the finest airways, but ALSO has a high concentration of heavy metals - nasty stuff.
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 1:57:24 PM

Neurons: 451,951
https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/deadly-problem-coal-ash.htm

The toxicity of coal ash has been known (well known in the Carolinas) for many years. They have regular issues with it getting into the rivers.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 6:44:01 PM

Neurons: 11,633
It's a nasty disease my step-fathers father worked in the collieries around Newcastle and developed it, I know he suffered greatly.

As Drago say it's been known about for a long time, those exposed in 2008 should have been issued with proper personal protective gear.