mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Guagua Options
fred
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 11:07:17 AM

Neurons: 4,457
Sorry, I don't speak Spanish.

In Puerto Rico, why do they call an autobus a "Gaugua"?
valenarwen
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:12:18 AM

Neurons: 1,025
Hey Fred, its etymology is unknown for that use. "Guagua" is also used to refer to small kids in Chile, it comes from the quechuan word "wáwa"
source: www.rae.es
fred
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:12:20 PM

Yes, but it's strange that it is common to call an autobus a Guagua in Puerto Rico. At first I thought it was a joke or some kind of baby talk for autobus. They are serious with the use of this word.
early_apex
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:25:20 PM

Neurons: 12,855
fred wrote:
Yes, but it's strange that it is common to call an autobus a Guagua in Puerto Rico. At first I thought it was a joke or some kind of baby talk for autobus. They are serious with the use of this word.

We have a local baseball player who told his teammates he was the guagua. "Just get on base, and I will get you home." He does pretty well in the RBI department, by the way. He is from the Dominican, so maybe this extends beyond PR.
Desiree
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:22:36 AM

Neurons: 207,221

In Puerto Rico, why do they call an autobus "guagua".

It`s called "guagua" because the buses were too small at the beginning, so packages,baskets,luggagges etc.
were carried on the top of the bus. The term "guagua " in Chile, means a baby too small to walk but when it`s referring to a kid or an older person, it`s means a tender and loving expression.
When you say to a person you love "Yo soy tu guagua " o "tu eres mi guagua " in Chile, you behaves like a baby, embracing, asking for or giving many and quick kisses. So both connotation may means "too small but nice and loving ".
The bus ,which is very small it`s called "micro " in Chile.
fred
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:05:38 AM

Desiree wrote:

In Puerto Rico, why do they call an autobus "guagua".

It`s called "guagua" because the buses were too small at the beginning, so packages,baskets,luggagges etc.
were carried on the top of the bus.

The term "guagua " in Chile, means a baby too small to walk but when it`s referring to a kid or an older person, it`s means a tender and loving expression.
When you say to a person you love "Yo soy tu guagua " o "tu eres mi guagua " in Chile, you behaves like a baby, embracing, asking for or giving many and quick kisses. So both connotation may means "too small but nice and loving ".
The bus ,which is very small it`s called "micro " in Chile.

Thanks for the post!
esti04
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:50:18 AM

Neurons: 3
Hi, well "guagua" as I've been always told is a word of Canarian origin (Canary Islands). It has always been used here to refer to buses instead of "autobús". Here we never say "autobús" at all - I mean here we know what the word means, but when somebody says autobús instead of guagua they immediately assume you're from the Peninsula and not the islands. I think it's also used in Latin countries because of the massive Canarian migration decades ago. xDD We have strong cultural links with countries from Latin America, e.g. Venezuela.
Hope this helps. Dancing
rosamary
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2009 9:20:12 AM

Guagua es el nombre que se usa en el Archipiélago Canario para denominar al autobús; en América del Sur se utiliza por la influencia del isleño (la emigración canaria a principios del siglo XX a estos países ha influído notablemente el algunas expresiones y giros, así como en el acento).
bugdoctor
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 5:35:15 PM

Neurons: 5,456
esti04 wrote:
Hi, well "guagua" as I've been always told is a word of Canarian origin (Canary Islands). It has always been used here to refer to buses instead of "autobús". Here we never say "autobús" at all - I mean here we know what the word means, but when somebody says autobús instead of guagua they immediately assume you're from the Peninsula and not the islands. I think it's also used in Latin countries because of the massive Canarian migration decades ago. xDD We have strong cultural links with countries from Latin America, e.g. Venezuela.
Hope this helps. Dancing

That's right. My wife is from the Canaries and we visit at least once or twice a year. And you're also correct that the use of 'autobus' identifies you as a 'non-islander'. Of course, they don't have a problem identifying me as such. All they have to do is listen to my accent. :>)
Fransua
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009 10:14:42 PM

Hi everybody, I have met that word in Dominican Republic, it is used in Cuba, Porto-Rico, Cuba... all Caribbean. Some websites say that it would come from the english word "wagon". Rapidly "wagon" becomes "guagua". The word would later have moved to Canary island.
Jevo
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:44:21 AM

Neurons: 6
They are two different words. The RAE (Real Academia Española de la Lengua) says:

guagua1.
(Etim. disc.).

1. f. Cosa baladí.
2. f. Can. y Ant. Vehículo automotor que presta servicio urbano o interurbano en un itinerario fijo.
3. f. Cuba y R. Dom. Nombre genérico de numerosas especies de insectos hemípteros, pequeños, de color blanco o gris, que atacan a numerosas plantas, especialmente a los cítricos, y llegan a destruirlos.

guagua2.
(Del quechua wáwa).

1. f. Á. Andes. Niño de pecho. En Ecuador, u. c. com.
2. f. Perú. Pan dulce con forma de niño.

So the word for "autobús" is no the same which that for "bebé"; they are homonyms (same pronunciation, same spelling, but different meanings.
Lazaro Denis Saez
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:23:13 AM

Neurons: 6
El uso del vocablo "guagua" para la designación del autobús proviene de la corrupción del inglés "wagon", nombre utilizado para designar los primeros vehiculos de transporte colectivo a fines del XIX y principios del XX, y su utilización es fundamentalmente en el Caribe y en las Canarias. En Sudamérica usan guagua para los niños pequeños por su origen onomatopéyico, al imitar el llanto de un bebé,(aplicable al quechua "wawa").Es importante tener en cuenta que dentro de las voces propias del Caribe hispanohablante, al igual que en Canarias por la cercanía cultural, abundan los términos corruptos del inglés.
En Cuba, en un registro más culto, se utiliza el término "ómnibus", nunca "autobús".
man in black
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:54:51 AM

Neurons: 1,334
We have always refered to buses as guaguas. And thsat is the only meaning we attach to such a word, no other. And when due to transporatation problem, the use of bigger "buses" powered by a track came into use, then Cuban started calling them camels, which are always crowed with people. To be honest I rather walk than taking a camel.Speak to the hand
vagnersiqueira
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 6:55:43 AM

Neurons: 89
Living and learning...

Now I know that I need to get the guagua to college... lol
vagnersiqueira
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 6:56:29 AM

Neurons: 89
Viviendo y aprendiendo:

Ahora sé que puedo coger el guagua para irme a la faculdad!

Que raro!!! jajaja