The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Towns are excrescences, gray fluxions, where men, hurrying to find one another, have lost themselves. Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 78,993
Towns are excrescences, gray fluxions, where men, hurrying to find one another, have lost themselves.

E. M. Forster (1879-1970)
M.khaled Shaar
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 12:22:52 AM

Neurons: 72,464
Yep
KSPavan
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 2:19:34 AM

Neurons: 2,913,716
Quotation of the Day

Towns are excrescences, gray fluxions, where men, hurrying to find one another, have lost themselves.

Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 4:25:31 AM

Neurons: 168,535
Well said. This cannot be described any better.
C185445
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 4:33:49 AM

Neurons: 194,219
Meh, too bohemian for my taste.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 10:42:48 AM

Neurons: 588,828

Could we please have some quotes from someone other than the 6 or so that we seem to be cycling thru -- over and over and over again?
thar
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 11:06:15 AM

Neurons: 75,529
OK

Quote:
“Townsfolk have no conception of the peace that mother nature bestows, and as long as that peace is unfound the spirit must seek to quench its thirst with ephemeral novelties. And what is more natural that that of the townsman's feverish search for pleasure should mould people of unstable, hare-brained character, who think only of their personal appearance and their clothes and find momentary comfort in foolish fashions and other such worthless innovations? The countryman, on the other hand walks out into the verdant meadows, into an atmosphere clear and pure, and as he breaths it into his lungs some unknown power streams through his limbs, invigorating body and soul. The peace in nature fills his mind with calm and cheer, the bright green grass under his feet awakens a sense of beauty, almost of reverence. In the fragrance that is borne so sweetly to his nostrils, in the quietude that broods so blissfully around him, there is comfort and rest. The hillsides, the dingles, the waterfalls, and the mountains are all friends of his childhood, and never to be forgotten.”

Quote:
“...freedom is of more account than the height of a roof beam. I ought to know; mine cost me eighteen years' slavery. The man who lives on his own land is an independent man. He is his own master. If I can keep my sheep alive through winter and can pay what has been stipulated from year to year - then I pay what has been stipulated; and I have kept my sheep alive. No, it is freedom that we are all after, Titla. He who pays his way is a king. He who keeps his sheep alive through the winter lives in a palace.”

Quote:
“It was pretty miserable wretches that minded at all whether they were wet or dry. He could not understand why such people had been born. "It's nothing but damned eccentricity to want to be dry" he would say. "I've been wet more than half my life and never been a whit the worse for it.”

Quote:
“And Ásta Sóllilja, it was she who swept on wings of poetry into those spheres which she had sensed as if in distant murmur one spring night last year when she was reading about the little girl who journeyed over the seven mountains; and the distant murmur had suddenly swelled to a song in her ears, and her soul found here for the first time its origin and its descent; happiness, fate, sorrow, she understood them all; and many other things. When a man looks at a flowering plant growing slender and helpless up in the wilderness among a hundred thousand stones, and he has found this plant only by chance, then he asks: Why is it that life is always trying to burst forth? Should one pull up this plant and use it to clean one's pipe? No, for this plant also broods over the limitation and the unlimitation of all life, and lives in the love of the good beyond these hundred thousand stones, like you and me; water it with care, but do not uproot it, maybe it is little Ásta Sóllilja.”

by ..... ??

Nobel Laureate 1955

(no translator credited, which I hate - it takes immense craft to transpose ideas into a new language.)
Bully_rus
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 1:01:34 PM

Neurons: 203,481
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. Towns are tough and difficult to control and it ain’t always pretty and it ain’t always bad...
Verbatim
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 2:41:22 PM

Neurons: 244,024
(no translator credited, which I hate - it takes immense craft to transpose ideas into a new language.)

It also takes a certain rejection of laxness, such as transposing a verb into a noun :)
"...and as he breaths it into his lungs..."
thar
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:31:02 PM

Neurons: 75,529
Applause Applause

I blame the internet. I think e-commerce stole all the 'e's.

What would you propose?

(I agree with Wilmar - Too much EM Forster and his ilk. Very lazy. This section needs a kick up the backside.)
Doodle Snackers
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 8:57:03 PM

Neurons: 9,490
Verbatim wrote:

It also takes a certain rejection of laxness, such as transposing a verb into a noun :)
"...and as he breaths it into his lungs..."

You mustn't ever let the side down by futilely attempting to transpose the word 'breathes' into 'breaths'! ]Shame on you Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall