The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

My definition [of a philosopher] is of a man up in a balloon, with his family and friends holding the ropes which confine him... Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,991
My definition [of a philosopher] is of a man up in a balloon, with his family and friends holding the ropes which confine him to earth and trying to haul him down.

Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888)
KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 1:30:29 AM

Neurons: 3,380,263
Quotation of the Day

My definition [of a philosopher] is of a man up in a balloon, with his family and friends holding the ropes which confine him to earth and trying to haul him down.

monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 4:51:51 AM

Neurons: 5,370,053

Context from: Louisa May Alcott, her life, letters, and journals.
Edited by Ednah D. Cheney"

X. FAMILY CHANGES

She spent some weeks at Willow Cottage, Magnolia, which she has described in her popular story of " Jack and Jill." The scene of the story is mostly laid in Concord, or " Harmony " as she calls it, and she has introduced many familiar scenes and persons into the book.

This summer, too, the long-dreamed of School of Philosophy was established. The opening of the School was a great event to Mr. Alcott, as it was the realization of the dream of years. Louisa enjoyed his gratification, and took pains to help him to reap full satisfaction from it. She carried flowers to grace the opening meeting, and was friendly to
his guests. She occasionally attended lectures given by her friends, Dr. Bartol, Mrs. Howe, and others, and she could not fail to enjoy meeting many of the bright people who congregated there ; but she did not care for the speculative philosophy.
Her keen sense of humor led her to see all that was incongruous or funny or simply novel in the bearing of the philosophers. She felt that her father had too much of the trying details, and perhaps did not appreciate how much joy of recognition it brought him. She had not much faith in the practical success of the experiment. Philosophy was much associated in her mind with early
poverty and suffering, and she did not feel its charms. She was usually at the seashore at this season, as she suffered from the heat at Concord.

Frequent allusions to the school appear in her journal. The following anecdote is given by a friend.

" It was at Concord on Emerson day. After a morning with Bartol and Alcott and Mrs. Howe, I lunched with the Alcotts', who had for guest the venerable Dr. McCosh. Naturally the conversation turned on the events of the morning. ' I was thinking,' said the Doctor, ' as I looked among your audience, that there were no young men ; and that with none but old men your school would soon die with them. By the way, madam,' he continued, addressing Miss Alcott, 'will you tell me what is your definition of a philosopher? '

The reply came instantly, ' My definition is of a man up in a balloon, with his family and friends holding the ropes which confine him to earth and trying to haul him down.'

" The laugh which followed this reply was heartily joined in by the philosopher himself."

Read more : http://www.archive.org/stream/louisamayalcotth00alcouoft/louisamayalcotth00alcouoft_djvu.txt
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 5:27:52 AM

Neurons: 391,560
My definition would be that a philosopher is someone who thinks. It is as simple as that.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:57:28 AM

Neurons: 785,530
mudbudda669
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 12:32:01 PM

Neurons: 326,290
?
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 1:46:46 PM

Neurons: 237,702
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. In this sense, they are like children. But I am pretty sure that there’s another sense, too. It always is, isn’t it?
C185445
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 5:00:25 PM

Neurons: 275,754
In my opinion one needs to feel the ground below in order not to lose perspective...