The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Edgar Allan Poe (1809) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,829
Edgar Allan Poe (1809)

Considered one of the most brilliant and original writers in American literature, Poe was a poet, short-story writer, and critic whose skillfully wrought tales and poems convey with passionate intensity the mysterious, dreamlike, and often macabre forces that pervaded his sensibility. He also pioneered the detective fiction genre with stories such as "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" and "The Purloined Letter." What mysterious, six-decade-old tradition at Poe's Baltimore grave was broken in 2010? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 1:21:34 AM

Neurons: 3,365,458
Today's Birthday
Edgar Allan Poe (1809)
Considered one of the most brilliant and original writers in American literature, Poe was a poet, short-story writer, and critic whose skillfully wrought tales and poems convey with passionate intensity the mysterious, dreamlike, and often macabre forces that pervaded his sensibility. He also pioneered the detective fiction genre with stories such as "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" and "The Purloined Letter."
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 3:44:38 AM

Neurons: 2,539,917
I'm a fan of his work. I especially love "The Tell-Tale Heart" & I've memorised "The Raven."

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
pedro
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 5:46:39 AM

Neurons: 63,014
He looks deeply stressed. You wouldn't feel comfortable if your Defence Counsel bore his expression. Wrote some neat horror stories but was clueless about chess.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
pedro
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 5:46:40 AM

Neurons: 63,014
He looks deeply stressed. You wouldn't feel comfortable if your Defence Counsel bore his expression. Wrote some neat horror stories but was clueless about chess.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 9:38:39 AM

Neurons: 779,453
He was born as Edgar Poe in Boston, Massachusetts; he was orphaned at a young age when his mother died shortly after his father abandoned the family. Poe was taken in by John and Frances Allan, of Richmond, Virginia, but they never formally adopted him. He attended the University of Virginia for one semester but left due to lack of money. After enlisting in the Army and later failing as an officer's cadet at West Point, Poe parted ways with the Allans. His publishing career began humbly, with an anonymous collection of poems, Tamerlane and Other Poems (1827), credited only to "a Bostonian".

ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 10:04:49 AM

Neurons: 1,587,697
And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain ...
I admire his poetry ans short stories since the time I was about 12 or 13 year old.