The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Two cheers for Democracy: one because it admits variety and two because it permits criticism. Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 78,966
Two cheers for Democracy: one because it admits variety and two because it permits criticism.

E. M. Forster (1879-1970)
KSPavan
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 12:32:49 AM

Neurons: 2,911,771
Quotation of the Day

Two cheers for Democracy: one because it admits variety and two because it permits criticism.

Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 5:47:11 AM

Neurons: 167,297
Democracy is surely not a perfect system; however, so far, no other system has proved to be better.
8BooksOfSengathe
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 6:22:59 AM

Neurons: 13,904
Daemon wrote:

The term Democracy denotes freedoms for its peoples , but each
country has its own parameters and definitions that are associated
with democracy while still having expressions from past governing
preferences.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 9:00:28 AM

Neurons: 586,893
Bully_rus
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 11:02:33 AM

Neurons: 203,324
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. Democracy is great and so on, but the monopoly on Democracy is even more greater...
Verbatim
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 2:41:53 PM

Neurons: 244,024
Daemon wrote:

Because variety it admits
and criticism it permits,
the demos it nicely splits
so the oligarchs it befits.

monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 3:37:47 PM

Neurons: 4,933,633

Context from:Two Cheers for Democracy - E.M. Forster

PREFACE

What I Believe

Democracy has another merit. It allows criticism, and if there is not public criticism there are bound to be hushed-up scandals. That is why I believe in the press, despite all its lies and vulgarity, and why I believe in Parliament. Parliament is often sneered at because it is a Talking Shop. I believe in it because it is a talking shop. I believe in the Private Member who makes himself a nuisance. He gets snubbed and is told that he is cranky or ill-informed, but he does expose abuses which would otherwise never have been mentioned, and very often an abuse gets put right just by being mentioned. Occasionally, too, a well-meaning public official starts losing his head in the cause of efficiency, and thinks himself God Almighty. Such officials are particularly frequent in the Home Office. Well, there will be questions about them in Parliament sooner or later, and then they will have to mind their steps. Whether Parliament is either a representative body or an efficient one is questionable, but I value it because it criticizes and talks, and because its chatter gets widely reported.

So two cheers for Democracy: one because it admits variety and two because it permits criticism. Two cheers are quite enough: there is no occasion to give three. Only Love the Beloved Republic deserves that. What about Force, though? While we are trying to be sensitive and advanced and affectionate and tolerant, an unpleasant question pops up: does not all society rest upon force ? If a government cannot count upon the police and the army, how can it hope to rule ? And if an individual gets knocked on the head or sent to a labour camp, of what significance are his opinions ?

This dilemma does not worry me as much as it does some. I realize that all society rests upon force. But all the great creative actions, all the decent human relations, occur during the intervals when force has not managed to come to the front. These intervals are what matter. I want them to be as frequent and as lengthy as possible, and I call them " civilization ". Some people idealize force and pull it into the foreground and worship it, instead of keeping it in the background as long as possible. I think they make a mistake, and I think that their opposites, the mystics, err even more when they declare that force does not exist. I believe that it exists, and that one of our jobs is to prevent it from getting out of its box. It gets out sooner or later, and then it destroys us and all the lovely things which we have made. But it is not out all the time, for the fortunate reason that the strong are so stupid. Consider their conduct for a moment in The Nibelung's Ring. The giants there have the guns, or in other words the gold; but they do nothing with it, they do not realize that they are all-powerful, with the result that the catastrophe is delayed and the castle of Valhalla, insecure but glorious, fronts the storms.

https://www.speakingtree.in/blog/two-cheers-for-democracy-em-forster

Pieter_Hove
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 4:05:24 PM

Neurons: 523,102
8BooksOfSengathe wrote:
Daemon wrote:

The term Democracy denotes freedoms for its peoples , but each
country has its own parameters and definitions that are associated
with democracy while still having expressions from past governing
preferences.

Hurray! Hurray!!
C185445
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 5:21:50 PM

Neurons: 193,484
In Spain we had a democracy during the early XX century, women could vote and there was a high degree of autonomy (not as now but still high) given to Spanish regions. The government and world context messed up the economy and when something different wanted a change, the established government felt entitled to block and even destroy violently such change. So the others felt entitled to be brutal too and even ended up being extremely more so.

I think it's important to protect and respect the fundamentals mentioned by E.M. Forster in regards to democracies, because otherwise shit happens.