The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Siberia Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 78,993
Siberia

Siberia is a vast region stretching from the Ural Mountains to the Pacific Ocean and from the Arctic Ocean to central Kazakhstan and the borders of China and Mongolia. The area was annexed by Russia in stages during the 16th and 17th centuries, when it came to be used as a place of exile for political prisoners. It was settled after the completion of the Trans-Siberian Railway in 1905 and developed for its mineral resources after World War II. What record low temperature was recorded in Siberia? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 2:29:26 AM

Neurons: 2,913,716
Article of the Day
Siberia
Siberia is a vast region stretching from the Ural Mountains to the Pacific Ocean and from the Arctic Ocean to central Kazakhstan and the borders of China and Mongolia. The area was annexed by Russia in stages during the 16th and 17th centuries, when it came to be used as a place of exile for political prisoners. It was settled after the completion of the Trans-Siberian Railway in 1905 and developed for its mineral resources after World War II.
Marek Guman
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 4:33:25 AM

Neurons: 1,443,199
"The territory of Siberia extends eastwards from the Ural Mountains to the watershed between the Pacific and Arctic drainage basins."

There were not many instances I was disagreeing with the articles, but I always thought Siberia was only a flatland between Ural mountains on the west and Verhoyanskeho range on the east. The mountainous area to the east of Siberia is called Far East in Russia. Am I right or is it only a political division, not geographical? Oh, only now I pasted the quote from the article and it says probably the same thing. (I thought it said from Ural to Pacific Ocean.) Maybe the map of the Siberia needs correction then.

Edit: OK, the image does not need correction, when I click on it I get to wiki article where it says that it is the representation of the historical Siberia. I rest my case now. Boo hoo!
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 8:50:55 AM

Neurons: 588,828
Siberia is a vast region stretching from the Ural Mountains to the Pacific Ocean and from the Arctic Ocean to central Kazakhstan and the borders of China and Mongolia. The area was annexed by Russia in stages during the 16th and 17th centuries, when it came to be used as a place of exile for political prisoners. It was settled after the completion of the Trans-Siberian Railway in 1905 and developed for its mineral resources after World War II.
Marek Guman
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 11:32:46 AM

Neurons: 1,443,199
Wilmar (USA) wrote:

Where are you guys getting this definition of Siberia from? The definition of Siberia in this article starts like this:
"The territory of Siberia extends eastwards from the Ural Mountains to the watershed between the Pacific and Arctic drainage basins."
What you are posting (and possibly copying from each other) is a historical definition of Siberia.
"Historically, Siberia was defined as the whole part of Russia to the east of Ural Mountains, including the Russian Far East. According to this definition, Siberia extended eastward from the Ural Mountains to the Pacific coast."