The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What does the word present mean ?? Options
vpbank24h
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 10:55:53 PM

Neurons: 15
peaking to Automotive News, Philippe Klein, Nissan’s head of planning, said rumors that the Japanese automaker planned to cancel its entry-level sports car were false. But when asked about the next-generation Z, he didn’t have more encouraging news to share. “We’re working on it and it’s very present, but I have no indication to give you,” said Klein.

Does it mean " available or ready " here?
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 11:42:18 PM

Neurons: 77,737
'Present' here means next-generation Z plan is there and they are working on it.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 6:13:51 AM

Neurons: 48,763

Ashwin is correct - but it's bad English.

"Present" is being used in it's meaning of "being" somewhere. e.g. - when a teachers used to do "roll-calls" in class (calling out each students name and getting each to answer) "present" was the usual answer if one's name were called: i.e. "I am here."

You are either present or not. You can't be a "little bit" present, or "somewhat" present, or "very" present. You are there or you aren't.

In this case the car is either there and they are working on it - or it isn't.

( One would not be at all surprised to find the speaker is lying to protect himself/his team because his words are so vague and don't make much sense. This is a common way for people to dodge the truth)
Eoin Riedy
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2018 12:10:04 AM

Neurons: 1,292
It sounds like corporate doublespeak to me. I read it as meaning something similar to "real soon now".

Real Soon Now (RSN)
[Originally from SF's fanzine community, popularized by Jerry Pournelle's column in Byte]
1. Supposed to be available (or fixed, or cheap, or whatever) real soon now according to somebody, but the speaker is quite skeptical.
2. When one's fortunes, fates, or other time commitments permit one to get to it (in other words, don't hold your breath).

See also: "the check is in the mail".