The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

It has been a bitter mortification for me to digest the conclusion that the 'race is for the strong' and that I shall... Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 78,966
It has been a bitter mortification for me to digest the conclusion that the 'race is for the strong' and that I shall probably do little more but be content to admire the strides others made in science.

Charles Darwin (1809-1882)
KSPavan
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 1:40:53 AM

Neurons: 2,911,771
Quotation of the Day

It has been a bitter mortification for me to digest the conclusion that the 'race is for the strong' and that I shall probably do little more but be content to admire the strides others made in science.

Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 4:37:32 AM

Neurons: 167,297
Such a great man! He is an epitome of courage and free thinking.
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 7:05:06 AM

Neurons: 1,336,740
Great scientist indeed. I am pleased by the fact (a mere coincidence, of course) that we were born on the same day - February 12 (but in different centuries, naturally).
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 10:11:52 AM

Neurons: 203,324
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. It’s great to be humble, especially the great and humble...
monamagda
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 12:27:33 PM

Neurons: 4,933,633

Context from: Darwin Correspondence Project

To Charles Lyell   6 [July 1841]
Shrewsbury.

Tuesday 6th

My dear Lyell

Bermuda differs much from any other isld, I am acquainted with;—at first sight of a chart, it resembles an atoll: but it differs from this structure essentially, in the gently shelving bottom of sea all round to some distance;—in the absence of the defined circular reefs, & as a consequence of the defined central pool or lagoon,—and lastly in the height of the land.— Bermuda seems to be an irregular circular flat bank, encrusted with knolls & reefs of coral, with land formed on one side. This land seems once to have been more extensive, as on some parts of the bank, furthest removed from the islands.— there are little pinnacles of rock of the same nature, as that of the high larger islands.— I cannot pretend to form any precise notion, how the foundation of so anomalous an isld has been produced; but I am sure its whole history must be very different from that of the atolls of Indian & Pacific Oceans—though, as I have said, at first glance of charts there is considerable resemblance—

I remember now, that Bermuda is very like the Bahama banks & Isles. & these I believe have been formed by elevation (who is certain) of ordinary submarine sand banks, with their windward edges, solidified by the growth of some coral: at Bermuda, the wind has heaped more sand & the sea acted more as a destroyer.

My health has improved a good deal, since I have been in the country, & I believe to a stranger’s eyes, I should look quite a strong man, but I find I am not up to any exertion, & I am constantly tiring myself by very trifling things.

My Father scarcely seems to expect, that I shall become strong for some years— it has been a bitter mortification for me, to digest the conclusion, that the “race is for the strong”—& that I shall probably do little more, but must be content to admire the strides others make in Science— So it must be, but I shall just crawl on with my S. American work & be as easy as I can.—

I hope I shall just see you, before you start, —but it is not quite certain, though I think we shall return about 15th or 16th.— I heartily wish you all the great success, your zeal deserves— How large an area you will have geologised in the old & new World together! If we do not meet, give my kindest farewell to Mrs Lyell, & accept my warm thanks for all the friendship you have shown me— My wife is not here, but comes to day, as I left her a few days ago at Maer— if she were here, she would heartily join in her remembrances to you both.—

My dear Lyell | Believe me yours most sincerely | C. Darwin

If I do not return to London on the 16th.; I will let you hear from me a few days before, in case by chance you should want to ask me any questions about Coral-Masses Shrewsbury

http://www.darwinproject.ac.uk/letter/DCP-LETT-602.xml

Verbatim
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 1:55:58 PM

Neurons: 244,024
Daemon wrote:
It has been a bitter mortification for me to digest the conclusion that the 'race is for the strong' and that I shall probably do little more but
must be content to admire the strides others made in science.

(Daemon, must you mess with Darwin's digest?Think )

The race is for the strong, the strong race whither bound?