The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

No drivel about accidents or mysteries, if you please. Options
flylikeeagle
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2018 2:27:47 AM

Neurons: 10,928
In the short story, "The horror of the heights" by Sir. Arthur Conan Doyle, it reads:

"There are many, as I am aware, who still jeer at the facts which I have here set down, but even they must admit that Joyce-Armstrong has disappeared, and I would commend to them his own words: “This note-book may explain what I am trying to do, and how I lost my life in doing it. But no drivel about accidents or mysteries, if you please."

Does the he mean by "accident" = anything that occurs unintentionally or by chance; chance; fortune, or, a misfortune or mishap, esp one causing injury or death?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2018 3:53:12 AM

Neurons: 11,618
Yes in the context of the story the writer means if he disappears he was trying to achieve a particular goal that was dangerous, if he disappears it was not due to a random accident such as his plane crashing into the sea or running out of fuel but due to the goal he had in mind.
thar
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2018 5:26:39 AM

Neurons: 89,145
Yes, and the word 'drivel', implies not only that such an idea would be nonsense but the contempt the writer has for that idea. He did not die in an accident (which implies luck or chance, or poor judgement) - he died because he was attempting something that carried a risk of death.

[It also, at least in my mind, brings to mind an association with snivel (purely from the sound of the words) - childish crying over something that you should not cry about, but should tough out. But I think it is too much to ascribe intent to the author over my word associations.]