mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Richard Wright (1908) Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,128
Richard Wright (1908)

Wright was an American author whose works helped redefine discussions of race in the mid-20th century. The grandson of slaves, he grew up in poverty in the American south. The fictionalized autobiography Black Boy (1945) vividly describes his often harsh childhood and youth. He first came to wide attention with a collection of short stories titled Uncle Tom's Children (1938) and published his bestselling novel Native Son two years later. Why was he blacklisted in Hollywood? More...
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2011 7:27:28 AM

Neurons: 6,040
Interesting that he had such an international outlook and that he married two Jewish women.
IMcRout
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2011 8:47:09 AM

Neurons: 563,379
He was certainly one of the reasons I became interested in 'Black Novel' - the title of the series of uni lectures at the time.

Among others there were James Baldwin and Ralph Ellison.
This brings me to my question. A link on the TFD entry for Wright took me to the entry for Ellison.
There, in a summary of 'Invisible Man', I read the interesting sentence, or rather part of it '... and also experiences a kindation.'.

Does anybody have an idea of what might be missing between kind and ation?
MTC
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2011 9:45:08 AM

Neurons: 8,606
Perhaps nothing. "Kindation" (which is not listed in any dictionary I can find, but may be somewhere) may refer to the Invisibe Man narrator's eventual acceptance of his identity as one of a kind, or class. He "experiences a kindation."

For me Jean Toomer's Cane will always be the most remarkable work of the Harlem Renaissance.
IMcRout
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2011 10:39:09 AM

Neurons: 563,379
I found the reason in a wikipedia discussion page on Ellison:

"Kindation?

What on earth is a kindation? I could not find any other wikipedia article that uses this word, nor is it defined in wiktionary. "The narrator is "invisible" in a figurative sense, in that "people refuse to see" him, and also experiences a kindation."

Is this a typo, e.g. "... experiences a kind of elation." ?

EDIT: I looked up the history and found it used to read "... experiences a kind of dissociation." So I simply updated the article. Nwallins (talk) 22:27, 10 January 2011 (UTC)"

My heart and mind can rest.