mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Men are all right for friends, but as soon as you marry them they turn into cranky old fathers, even the wild ones. They... Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,487
Men are all right for friends, but as soon as you marry them they turn into cranky old fathers, even the wild ones. They begin to tell you what's sensible and what's foolish, and want you to stick at home all the time. I prefer to be foolish when I feel like it, and be accountable to nobody.

Willa Cather (1873-1947)
Andrey R.
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 1:07:50 AM

Neurons: 30,379
...the same could be said of women?
Ian Myers
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 1:24:38 AM

Neurons: 7,476
I was thinking the same thing, I've heard men complain about this.
KSPavan
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 3:08:19 AM

Neurons: 4,395,150
Quotation of the Day

Men are all right for friends, but as soon as you marry them they turn into cranky old fathers, even the wild ones. They begin to tell you what's sensible and what's foolish, and want you to stick at home all the time. I prefer to be foolish when I feel like it, and be accountable to nobody.

Willa Cather (1873-1947)
KSPavan
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 3:08:19 AM

Neurons: 4,395,150
Quotation of the Day

Willa Cather (1873-1947)
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 4:46:13 AM

Neurons: 324,251
Daemon wrote:

Willa Cather (1873-1947)

Yeah. But why to marry if someone wants to be accountable to nobody?
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 7:34:19 AM

Neurons: 6,621,636

Context from:My Ántonia

Book III

Lena Lingard: Chapters I-IV

The next evening I went to call on Lena. I found her propped up on the couch in her bay-window, with her foot in a big slipper. An awkward little Russian girl whom she had taken into her work-room had dropped a flat-iron on Lena's toe. On the table beside her there was a basket of early summer flowers which the Pole had left after he heard of the accident. He always managed to know what went on in Lena's apartment.

Lena was telling me some amusing piece of gossip about one of her clients, when I interrupted her and picked up the flower basket.

'This old chap will be proposing to you some day, Lena.'

'Oh, he has — often!' she murmured.

'What! After you've refused him?'

'He doesn't mind that. It seems to cheer him to mention the subject. Old men are like that, you know. It makes them feel important to think they're in love with somebody.'

'The colonel would marry you in a minute. I hope you won't marry some old fellow; not even a rich one.' Lena shifted her pillows and looked up at me in surprise.

'Why, I'm not going to marry anybody. Didn't you know that?'

'Nonsense, Lena. That's what girls say, but you know better. Every handsome girl like you marries, of course.'

She shook her head. 'Not me.'

'But why not? What makes you say that?' I persisted.

Lena laughed.

'Well, it's mainly because I don't want a husband. Men are all right for friends, but as soon as you marry them they turn into cranky old fathers, even the wild ones. They begin to tell you what's sensible and what's foolish, and want you to stick at home all the time. I prefer to be foolish when I feel like it, and be accountable to nobody.'

'But you'll be lonesome. You'll get tired of this sort of life, and you'll want a family.'

'Not me. I like to be lonesome. When I went to work for Mrs. Thomas I was nineteen years old, and I had never slept a night in my life when there weren't three in the bed. I never had a minute to myself except when I was off with the cattle.'

Usually, when Lena referred to her life in the country at all, she dismissed it with a single remark, humorous or mildly cynical. But tonight her mind seemed to dwell on those early years. She told me she couldn't remember a time when she was so little that she wasn't lugging a heavy baby about, helping to wash for babies, trying to keep their little chapped hands and faces clean. She remembered home as a place where there were always too many children, a cross man and work piling up around a sick woman.

Read more :https://books.google.com.br/books?id=XFCMCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT205&lpg=PT205&dq=Men+are+all+right+for+friends,+but+as+soon+as+you+marry+them+they+turn+into+cranky+old+fathers,+even+the+wild+ones.+They+begin+to+tell+you+what%27s+sensible+and+what%27s+foolish,+and+want+you+to+stick+at+home+all+the+time.+I+prefer+to+be+foolish+when+I+feel+like+it,+and+be+accountable+to+nobody

Pantuflas
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 12:43:58 PM

Neurons: 171,999
Thank you, monamagda, for supplying the passage relating to this quote. Too many years have passed since the last time I read My Antonia or anything else by Cather. She was so talented!

I think it is important for each person to understand themselves sufficiently to know whether or not they want to be married or to have children or whatever. Sometimes it takes a mistake or
two to learn these details about ourselves, and if we all had the early self-awareness that Lena shows here, there would be fewer unhappy people in the world.
renee talley 1
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 7:08:00 PM

Neurons: 2,823
one thing's that you didn't mention ;big time is to pray for that person before you went out the first
time. While you are dating and he or so she doesn't show you self respect ;he or she potientual yet another
abusive relationship. Chalk to that to one's life experience. God's is over all& he hols you accountable
for your thoughts & actions . It's the logic for all you need to know just for today. who really cares I DO CARE FOR GOD LOVES ME AND LIKES THE PERSON I'mShame on you Dancing Think Whistle Boo hoo! Boo hoo! BECOMING.
Emel Rapchan
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 8:22:08 PM

Neurons: 687,319
Apart from the always excellent work of @monamagda bringing these "contexts" up for all of us.
As I can see it, this excerpt from the book "My Antonia" a sad and bruised vision of a character who had experienced life from a pessimist point of view. Most of her (I mean the character) experience in this matter are, perhaps, based on a bad and misplaced relationship with a bad example of a person.

- Men are all right for friends, but as soon as you marry them they turn into cranky old fathers, even the wild ones. They begin to tell you what's sensible and what's foolish, and want you to stick at home all the time. I prefer to be foolish when I feel like it, and be accountable to nobody.
- Willa Cather (1873-1947)