mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
A CLIMBDOWN OR TO CLIMB DOWN ON/OVER Options
Wagner Douglas
Posted: Saturday, July 7, 2018 7:46:35 PM

Neurons: 725,151
I was taught that the meaning of a climdown or to climb down is to admit that your position is wrong, as in, "The minister had to climb down when the economic statistics came out".

And that both noun and phrasal verb have a particular use, as follows:

1. A climbdown on (singular + specific);

2. A climbdown over (plural + non specific).

To my dismay I can't find sentences in which both rules apply.

Do these rules actually exist? And if they do, how can I correctly put them into use?

Thank you very much for your help.

Cordially, Wagner
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, July 7, 2018 9:40:06 PM

Neurons: 76,374
I've never heard those phrases used like that here in the U.S. Generally, if someone makes an assertion, and the facts then prove them wrong, the phrase used is "back down", as in: "The minister had to back down on his statement/position when the economic statistics came out".

Also, the term "back off" is used: "The minister had to back off on his position when the economic statistics came out".
palapaguy
Posted: Saturday, July 7, 2018 10:43:15 PM

Neurons: 14,578
I agree with FounDit. "Back off/down" are common, while "climbdown" and "climb down" are not used in AE.
BobShilling
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2018 2:08:34 AM

Neurons: 8,592
The noun is common enough in BrE. The verb appears in dictionaries, but I don't think it's very common. Others may not agree.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2018 4:05:31 AM

Neurons: 16,744
Bob shilling I don't think you have been following Brexit posturing within the Conseravtive party well enough from the Cezch Republc, people have to climbdown over their positions all the while.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/01/the-brexit-climbdown-is-far-from-what-leaving-was-meant-to-look-like
BobShilling
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2018 7:24:34 AM

Neurons: 8,592
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Bob shilling I don't think you have been following Brexit posturing within the Conseravtive party well enough from the Cezch Republc, people have to climbdown over their positions all the while.

Both climbdowns on the page you linked us to are nouns; I said in my earlier post that the noun was common enough. Though I haven't seen many examples of the phrasal verb, the examples I have seen have always been two words.

NKM
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2018 9:04:12 AM

Neurons: 315,308
Before seeing this thread I had never heard of a "climbdown" — one of those relatively rare cases of me and my spell-checker being in total agreement.

And I don't believe I'd ever run across that particular idiomatic use of "climb down", either.