mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
God is in the details, yes, but in ALL the details big and small Options
vkhu
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 5:50:22 AM

Neurons: 6,423
Quote:
I waffle back and forth between thinking my life would be safer and easier if I had another job and feeling like things like that don’t matter. God is in the details, yes, but in ALL the details big and small. And He knows the course He has set for me.

Context: a cop is contemplating quitting the force.

Generally, I can tell this man is on the fence about changing job, and ultimately decided that it doesn't matter since if fate wants him to die, he will die regardless. What I don't get is the specifics of the sentence in bold. The one that follow suggests it should be taken literally. But how could something like God resides in all things, big and small, fit with the preceding sentence?
L.Rai
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 7:47:39 PM

Neurons: 1,782,260
Dear Vkhu:

It's a matter of faith. I will venture to guess that the person who wrote this is a person of such faith that they have decided to leave the "choice" in the hands of "his" faith or beliefs.

That is the best way I can describe what this means without getting preachy.

Faith is subjective for many people.

lr
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 9:12:14 AM

Neurons: 54,107
Hi vkhu.

He thinks another job would be safer and easier but wonders if he is going against what God has planned for him i.e. going against his fate.

The idiom "the devil is in the detail" refers to a catch or mysterious element hidden in the details,[1] and derives from the earlier phrase "God is in the detail" expressing the idea that whatever one does should be done thoroughly; i.e. details are important.[1] TFD

He has taken the original saying and expanded it to "all the details" to accommodate his religious belief.

I find the "things like that don't matter" could be taken in two ways - in another job things like that would not be worrisome, and secondly he also waffles if it doesn't matter what he does, that his fate is his fate. I read it the first way the first time I read it, but think it is the second meaning when the next sentences are added. It is all up to God what would happen in either scenario, because the little details can decide momentous outcomes. He could switch shifts and be killed by a perp as a cop or miss being killed because he switched, or killed in a workplace accident elsewhere, or just be in the wrong place at the wrong time on a street corner. Et cetera.

(Nobody knows their future but IMO, leaving things up to fate is actually making a decision to abdicate responsibility for any consequences of the decision.)
Squawk Box
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 5:10:25 PM

Neurons: 1,307
vkhu wrote:
Quote:
I waffle back and forth between thinking my life would be safer and easier if I had another job and feeling like things like that don’t matter. God is in the details, yes, but in ALL the details big and small. And He knows the course He has set for me.

Generally, I can tell this man is on the fence about changing job, and ultimately decided that it doesn't matter since if fate wants him to die, he will die regardless. What I don't get is the specifics of the sentence in bold. The one that follow suggests it should be taken literally. But how could something like God resides in all things, big and small, fit with the preceding sentence?

It may be that God has mapped out the course, that creation and mankind will follow. He made it all, so all of the details are there for Him to see, and be involved in.

New Living Translation
What is the price of two sparrows--one copper coin (a penny)? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it.

That is some real detail, but God is not residing in the sparrow. It means that when the bird falls to the ground, God knows it. He has a record of all events that have transpired, even birds dying, and falling to Earth.

http://biblehub.com/matthew/10-29.htm
leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:55:40 PM

Neurons: 30,971
vkhu wrote:
Quote:

Without delving into the deeper discussion of theology, which is more properly discussed over here, this is a play on words with the more widely used phrase, "The devil is in the details".