mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
beating lavender blooms Options
vkhu
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 10:45:08 PM

Neurons: 6,423
Quote:
Dalton, flirting with me. Something I have to get used to—my heart, beating lavender blooms, spilling out into my bloodstream. His flirting calms me, makes me feel safe.

Lavender can't grow in my country so I'm having trouble getting this metaphor. If the lady's heart is "beating lavender blooms," how exactly is it beating? And what spills out into her bloodstream, the smell or the lavender itself?
mactoria
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 12:58:04 AM

Neurons: 1,684,543
Huh. Don't mean to use a pun, but this is very flowery prose.

I googled the line and nothing came up, so I'll just offer my best interpretation which could be wrong, though prose like this is often meant to be open to interpretation from different readers: you understand one thing, I read it another way.

My reading is that the author isn't saying the heart beat 'like' lavender flower blooms, more like the heart 'is' beating lavender flower blooms. Where I live we have a lot of lavender, and mostly the whole stalk of the flower moves if there's wind, not individual petals or flowerets. So to me the author is saying Dalton's flirtation (the lavender blooms) moves slowly and as one (as in one heart), calming the author/character as lavender does. Lavender has a sweet, slightly piquant floral scent and is known to be calming and sedating. In fact, it's commonly used in the US (and most places, going back to early times) in candles, perfumes, sprays for pillows/linens, etc. to help people relax and even to sleep. I think the author is saying that Dalton's flirtation fills the author/character, helping him/her feel calm and safe.

My interpretation, bet others have different interpretations, which is kind of what this kind of writing is meant to cause.
vkhu
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 2:49:33 AM

Neurons: 6,423
Quote:
My interpretation, bet others have different interpretations, which is kind of what this kind of writing is meant to cause.

It's a pain for translators like me though. Can't see how I could get this one across without adding a quarter page of footnote.
Squawk Box
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 3:00:01 PM

Neurons: 1,307
vkhu wrote:
Quote:
Dalton, flirting with me. Something I have to get used to—my heart, beating lavender blooms, spilling out into my bloodstream. His flirting calms me, makes me feel safe.

Lavender can't grow in my country so I'm having trouble getting this metaphor. If the lady's heart is "beating lavender blooms," how exactly is it beating? And what spills out into her bloodstream, the smell or the lavender itself?

My take on this is: she is aroused, and comforted by his flirting, and it makes he fell serene. And "beating lavender blooms" is a literary device, where she is trying to relate what her heart feels. Which is love, her heart feels love for him, and it is her emotional heart, not her physical one.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 8:26:07 AM

Neurons: 54,107
Lavender essential oil is an herb used for heart palpitations during anxiety attacks.

http://www.herbs-info.com/herbs-for-heart-palpitations.html

Since panic and anxiety attacks are often accompanied by heart palpitations, herbal baths with lavender infusion are often advised to relax the nervous system. [2] Likewise, an experiment involving 20 healthy volunteers revealed how lavender oil can cause significant drop in blood pressure, heart rate and skin temperature which are all indications of a decrease in autonomic arousal. Less anxious states were demonstrated by an increase in beta and theta brain wave activities compared with those who inhaled just base oil. [6]

Translation is difficult. It tskes many words to say what the author so beautifully said in three.

My heart, beating as if it were producing calming lavender flowers all by itself, the oil spiling into my bloodstream, soothes me. Thus his flirting makes me feel safe.