mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
her success vs her succeeding Options
Carmenex
Posted: Sunday, June 3, 2018 10:30:01 AM

Neurons: 6,054
Hi, I would please ask you which of the options in bold is correct in the following:
Additionally, I believe that her determination and abilities in working in cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and a future career in the financial sector.
Additionally, I believe that her determination and abilities in working in cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details will be decisive factors leading to her succeeding in both studying of quantitative finance and building a career in the financial sector.
Gabriel82
Posted: Sunday, June 3, 2018 1:36:58 PM

Neurons: 791,455
Carmenex wrote:
Hi, I would please ask you which of the options in bold is correct in the following:
Additionally, I believe that her determination and abilities in working in cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and a future career in the financial sector.
Additionally, I believe that her determination and abilities in working in cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details will be decisive factors leading to her succeeding in both studying of quantitative finance and building a career in the financial sector.

I would say the first option is better.
Shivanand
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2018 2:09:04 AM

Neurons: 229,316
Both are correct, depending on one's style of speaking.

Cheers!
Audiendus
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2018 8:06:32 AM

Neurons: 1,277,763
Gabriel82 wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

I would say the first option is better.

Yes, the second one is awkward because of the four '-ing' words close together.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2018 11:35:11 AM

Neurons: 86,946
I will write it as

Additionally, I believe that her determination, coupled with abilities in working with cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details, will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and future career in the financial sector.

Teachers please opine.
Carmenex
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2018 12:59:18 PM

Ashwin Joshi wrote:
I will write it as

Additionally, I believe that her determination, coupled with abilities in working with cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details, will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and future career in the financial sector.

Teachers please opine.

Hi Ashwin Joshi, Audiendus, Shivanand and Gabriel82, and thank you for your replies.
To Ashwin Joshi: I agree with you about the use of coupled with, but I think that the preposition in is correct because it means working as part of cross-functional teams, and, also, the article a is needed before future.
FounDit
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2018 10:05:43 PM

Neurons: 68,660
Carmenex wrote:
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
I will write it as

Teachers please opine.

Hi Ashwin Joshi, Audiendus, Shivanand and Gabriel82, and thank you for your replies.
To Ashwin Joshi: I agree with you about the use of coupled with, but I think that the preposition in is correct because it means working as part of cross-functional teams, and, also, the article a is needed before future.

I like Ashwin's version, but I would add a word or two. What jars me is "abilities in working" followed by teams, presentation, and attention to detail. I just think they should be distinctly separated.

Additionally, I believe that her determination, coupled with her ability to work in cross-functional teams, her skills in presentation, and her attention to details, will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and future career in the financial sector.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 1:42:18 AM

Neurons: 86,946
I agree. Thanks all for your opinions.
Carmenex
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 10:27:10 AM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
I will write it as

Teachers please opine.

I like Ashwin's version, but I would add a word or two. What jars me is "abilities in working" followed by teams, presentation, and attention to detail. I just think they should be distinctly separated.

Additionally, I believe that her determination, coupled with her ability to work in cross-functional teams, her skills in presentation, and her attention to details, will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and future career in the financial sector.

Thank you, FounDit, for your suggestions. Only a question: isn't the article a needed before future, and cannot the adjective her before attention be omitted?
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 2:24:24 PM

Neurons: 68,660
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
I will write it as

Teachers please opine.

Thank you, FounDit, for your suggestions. Only a question: isn't the article a needed before future, and cannot the adjective her before attention be omitted?

Yes, you can omit "her" without changing the meaning, and inserting "a" before "future" would help make that portion a distinctly separate item.