mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
her success vs her succeeding Options
Carmenex
Posted: Sunday, June 3, 2018 10:30:01 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/7/2014
Posts: 1,139
Neurons: 6,054
Hi, I would please ask you which of the options in bold is correct in the following:
Additionally, I believe that her determination and abilities in working in cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and a future career in the financial sector.
Additionally, I believe that her determination and abilities in working in cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details will be decisive factors leading to her succeeding in both studying of quantitative finance and building a career in the financial sector.
Gabriel82
Posted: Sunday, June 3, 2018 1:36:58 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/22/2017
Posts: 123
Neurons: 791,455
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States
Carmenex wrote:
Hi, I would please ask you which of the options in bold is correct in the following:
Additionally, I believe that her determination and abilities in working in cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and a future career in the financial sector.
Additionally, I believe that her determination and abilities in working in cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details will be decisive factors leading to her succeeding in both studying of quantitative finance and building a career in the financial sector.


I would say the first option is better.
Shivanand
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2018 2:09:04 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/2/2011
Posts: 7,902
Neurons: 229,316
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Both are correct, depending on one's style of speaking.

Cheers!
Audiendus
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2018 8:06:32 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/24/2011
Posts: 6,707
Neurons: 1,277,763
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Gabriel82 wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
Hi, I would please ask you which of the options in bold is correct in the following:
Additionally, I believe that her determination and abilities in working in cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and a future career in the financial sector.
Additionally, I believe that her determination and abilities in working in cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details will be decisive factors leading to her succeeding in both studying of quantitative finance and building a career in the financial sector.

I would say the first option is better.

Yes, the second one is awkward because of the four '-ing' words close together.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2018 11:35:11 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/3/2016
Posts: 1,612
Neurons: 86,946
Location: Jandiāla Guru, Punjab, India
I will write it as

Additionally, I believe that her determination, coupled with abilities in working with cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details, will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and future career in the financial sector.

Teachers please opine.
Carmenex
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2018 12:59:18 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/7/2014
Posts: 1,139
Neurons: 6,054
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
I will write it as

Additionally, I believe that her determination, coupled with abilities in working with cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details, will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and future career in the financial sector.

Teachers please opine.


Hi Ashwin Joshi, Audiendus, Shivanand and Gabriel82, and thank you for your replies.
To Ashwin Joshi: I agree with you about the use of coupled with, but I think that the preposition in is correct because it means working as part of cross-functional teams, and, also, the article a is needed before future.
FounDit
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2018 10:05:43 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 14,432
Neurons: 68,660
Carmenex wrote:
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
I will write it as

Additionally, I believe that her determination, coupled with abilities in working with cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details, will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and future career in the financial sector.

Teachers please opine.


Hi Ashwin Joshi, Audiendus, Shivanand and Gabriel82, and thank you for your replies.
To Ashwin Joshi: I agree with you about the use of coupled with, but I think that the preposition in is correct because it means working as part of cross-functional teams, and, also, the article a is needed before future.


I like Ashwin's version, but I would add a word or two. What jars me is "abilities in working" followed by teams, presentation, and attention to detail. I just think they should be distinctly separated.

Additionally, I believe that her determination, coupled with her ability to work in cross-functional teams, her skills in presentation, and her attention to details, will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and future career in the financial sector.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 1:42:18 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/3/2016
Posts: 1,612
Neurons: 86,946
Location: Jandiāla Guru, Punjab, India
I agree. Thanks all for your opinions.
Carmenex
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 10:27:10 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/7/2014
Posts: 1,139
Neurons: 6,054
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
I will write it as

Additionally, I believe that her determination, coupled with abilities in working with cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details, will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and future career in the financial sector.

Teachers please opine.


Hi Ashwin Joshi, Audiendus, Shivanand and Gabriel82, and thank you for your replies.
To Ashwin Joshi: I agree with you about the use of coupled with, but I think that the preposition in is correct because it means working as part of cross-functional teams, and, also, the article a is needed before future.


I like Ashwin's version, but I would add a word or two. What jars me is "abilities in working" followed by teams, presentation, and attention to detail. I just think they should be distinctly separated.

Additionally, I believe that her determination, coupled with her ability to work in cross-functional teams, her skills in presentation, and her attention to details, will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and future career in the financial sector.


Thank you, FounDit, for your suggestions. Only a question: isn't the article a needed before future, and cannot the adjective her before attention be omitted?
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 2:24:24 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 14,432
Neurons: 68,660
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
I will write it as

Additionally, I believe that her determination, coupled with abilities in working with cross-functional teams, presentation, and attention to details, will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and future career in the financial sector.

Teachers please opine.


Hi Ashwin Joshi, Audiendus, Shivanand and Gabriel82, and thank you for your replies.
To Ashwin Joshi: I agree with you about the use of coupled with, but I think that the preposition in is correct because it means working as part of cross-functional teams, and, also, the article a is needed before future.


I like Ashwin's version, but I would add a word or two. What jars me is "abilities in working" followed by teams, presentation, and attention to detail. I just think they should be distinctly separated.

Additionally, I believe that her determination, coupled with her ability to work in cross-functional teams, her skills in presentation, and her attention to details, will be decisive factors leading to her success in both the study of quantitative finance and future career in the financial sector.


Thank you, FounDit, for your suggestions. Only a question: isn't the article a needed before future, and cannot the adjective her before attention be omitted?

Yes, you can omit "her" without changing the meaning, and inserting "a" before "future" would help make that portion a distinctly separate item.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.